Sylosis are back with a new Single + album coming in 2020

lewis

Reaction score
Anyone go back and listen to Dormant Heart recently? I just picked up on this and I wish I hadn't, but there's this insanely loud chirping noise that comes from one of those large/alt material picks that are so popular nowadays.

Heard pretty loudly on To Build a Tomb, it's really hard to ignore once you pick up on it :wallbash:

@1:55

that album is trash anyway. Easily the worst of theirs.

Using that guy to produce/mix that album was a mistake. Too raw, slow, sludgy for them. Like a Mastodon vibed album which is the opposite of what you want from Sylosis.

Glad they ditched that and went back to their older, way better style, for the newer album.

That annoying pick noise and leaving it in, is one of many many issues I had with this album

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Damn, I really enjoyed Dormant Heart. Definitely not one of my favorite albums of theirs but I didn't think it was that bad overall.

I see what you mean about the production though it does have a slight mastadon vibe at parts. But yeah the pick noise is unbearable, back to the latest I go!

Pat

Reaction score
that album is trash anyway. Easily the worst of theirs.

Using that guy to produce/mix that album was a mistake. Too raw, slow, sludgy for them. Like a Mastodon vibed album which is the opposite of what you want from Sylosis.

Glad they ditched that and went back to their older, way better style, for the newer album.

That annoying pick noise and leaving it in, is one of many many issues I had with this album
I thought it was a good album, on par with Monolith at least. I do like the raw sound usually, but that picking noise was a big mistake.

I think Josh's work with Architects has broadened his mind a bit. Before that he said he didn't listen to modern metal, always played in E standard and used more vintage-y equipment like Marshall JCM800s etc. The new album is definitely more modern sounding, think a Peavey 6505 was used, and Fishman pickups.

ADADAD

Reaction score
Personally this is my favorite sylosis album and the pick noise doesn't bother me that much :shrug:
I also generally like the sound of the record. Definitely better than the tons of overproduced shit that sounds like glorified guitar pro tracks. But hey, very subjective.
IIRC the chirping is from standard dunlop tortex picks, think it was mentioned in one of his videos at some point. Could have easily just used a different pick, and not leave it to the producer... strange choice there.

Reactions: Pat

Pat

Reaction score
Personally this is my favorite sylosis album and the pick noise doesn't bother me that much :shrug:
I also generally like the sound of the record. Definitely better than the tons of overproduced shit that sounds like glorified guitar pro tracks. But hey, very subjective.
IIRC the chirping is from standard dunlop tortex picks, think it was mentioned in one of his videos at some point. Could have easily just used a different pick, and not leave it to the producer... strange choice there.
maybe he chose to leave it in, for a 'real' guitar sound?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
For those not paying attention to the ESP thread and are wondering what Josh is playing, it's his new signature LTD.

original.png

Also Jesus fuuuuuuck that song rips.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Ah yes, the good old chirping. Unfortunately now you've heard it, you're also going to hear it on mamy albums recorded with EMG's, a few Machine Head albums have got it and I hear it quite a lot on random things that I check out, although Dormant Heart is probably the worst.

I prefer organic style Sylosis over the other stuff, I think they really benefitted from the sonics that came with it. The last album is just so 'perfect sounding' and the songs all blend into one another, I've given it so many spins because I want to be blown away by it, but it's just not connecting.

Don't get me wrong, I think Josh is absolutely amazing, but I think he's trapped in the bubble of doing everything himself. I'd love to hear what would come out if he worked with a really great producer pushing him into different decision making. For instance, the new single has some amazing melodic stuff happening in the chorus, but it's hidden behind really loud rhythm guitars, I feel like the song would have been better served to let it come through more and define the chorus.