T.V. shows you've been watching

• Thread starter pushpull7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I watched the first episode of Stranger Things last night- thought is was just okay but I'll give it a shot based on the accolades it has gotten. It just seemed like an episode of the X-Files with Mulder & Scully edited out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Something I didn't like was (plot-specific spoiler follows)
how they treated Barbara's death. Almost as if it didn't really matter to any of the characters that she died. Like she was just a mere plot device. I mean, she was, but they could have masked it off a bit better and have given her death a little more impact on the rest of the character, or maybe even the plot.

EDIT: my favorite thing about each episode though, was this:

It makes me laugh hard every time for some reason. :lol:

I didn't even think of that, but you're completely right. I probably didn't think of that since they glossed over it so completely! No one even cares after they happen upon that. I don't even think it was MENTIONED again.

Stranger Things response:

Yeah, I thought that was odd as well, especially since Nancy started off extremely concerned. She almost seemed unphased by it by the end of it all.

My least favorite aspect was the cliche sociopath bullies. I know it was a big trope that existed in 80's flicks, which many elements of this show pay homage to, but I hated it in those films as well. Threatening to cut someone open and pull all their teeth out if they don't commit suicide by jumping off a cliff is quite the extreme response to your usual victim finally getting even with you after months/years of bullying. The call to action makes sense for that subplot, but it was such an extreme reaction. It nicely tied Eleven back into the plot though so I mostly forgave it. :lol:

The bullies were dumb, you're right.

One bigger thing I had a huge problem with by the end was just
the Eleven character in general, particularly how the whole conflict ended. What was even the point of all the time wasted with Nancy and Jonathan going around trying to set traps for the monster and shoot it with guns and stuff if they were just going to make that completely ineffective, then have some other characters uselessly confront it in dream world, then just drop it in front of a character that can literally disintegrate it with their mind?
Stupid. The character is so powerful that it's boring.

mongey

Reaction score
me and the wife started season 4 of house of cards after a bit of a break . enjoying it but after 3rd episode starting to feel the Frank Underwood story is running out of juice a bit .

Demiurge

Reaction score
me and the wife started season 4 of house of cards after a bit of a break . enjoying it but after 3rd episode starting to feel the Frank Underwood story is running out of juice a bit .

There's definitely some unexpected sh*t that goes down, but your feelings are perhaps correct. It's still entertaining and I'll still watch it, but by the end of the season, the feeling is that the only objection to the belief that the show has jumped the shark would be the suggestion that it is still airborne over said shark tank.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I really liked Stranger Things
It's like a cross between Stand By Me and the X-Files

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Watching season 3 of Bojack Horseman. As dark, depressing, horrible, and hilarious and relatable as ever. Still makes me constantly wonder why I'm still watching it if it makes me so sad.

BRRAP BRRAP PEW PEW

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Watched the first episode of Into the Badlands as per a good friend's recommendation. He kept talking about it as though it's a masterpiece... I honestly found the first episode quite bland, with only a few mildly interesting aspects that stood out. The world-building felt extremely rushed and pieces of info were just kinda dropped out of nowhere.
When whoever-that-chick-is tells Sunny she's pregnant and a whole big deal is made out of it... like, I don't care enough about these characters yet for that situation to make me feel any kind of urge or pressure.
I need a second opinion. Should I expect more of the same or is the show actually worth giving a shot?

mongey

Reaction score
watched the first ep of stranger things last night after reading you guys guys talk about it . I liked it . say we will get through it pretty quick

Reaction score
Found out the first season of Pokemon is on Netflix.

For a kid who's supposedly spent his whole (10 years of) life wanting to be a trainer Ash doesn't know .... about pokemon.

awake69

Reaction score
I'm currently having my annual Venture Bros. marathon. It's one of my favorite shows of all time, animated or otherwise. It's one of those rarest of shows that you can watch over and over and still manage to pick up things you might have missed in prior viewings. It never gets stale to me.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
The wife and I caught the first episode of Stranger Things. I liked it, but she's a total scaredy cat so I'm probably on my own from here on out.

awake69

Reaction score
The wife and I caught the first episode of Stranger Things. I liked it, but she's a total scaredy cat so I'm probably on my own from here on out.

Tell her she need not worry. I'd say it has some creepy moments, but far from scary. My wife isn't a fan of horror either and she loved it.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Tell her she need not worry. I'd say it has some creepy moments, but far from scary. My wife isn't a fan of horror either and she loved it.

I found it fairly creepy, and definitely made my skin crawl more than once, but there aren't any jump scares or anything. The tone of some of its scary moments actually sort of reminded me of Pan's Labyrinth's Pale Man. I don't think it'll make anybody lose any sleep over it though.

wankerness

Reaction score
There is nothing in Stranger Things that's even remotely close to as bad as the likes of Pan's Labyrinth. I think Stranger Things is entirely appropriate for kids. There are some parts where moderately scary aliens threaten people and/or kill them, but it's definitely PG-13 level at the worst. I think anyone that can handle the likes of say, the movie "Signs" will be more than fine with this.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
I loved Signs, but nearly had to take the TV out of my bedroom! :)

EDIT: I don't want to jinx it, but she's sat through two episodes and so far so good. This may sound ridiculous, but if you've ever tried talking a redhead into something they don't want to do (well my redhead anyway), things can get ugly. :lol:

Maybrick

Reaction score
Joining the club and started Stranger Things, up to episode 5 and really enjoying it so far. Definitely nice to have the 80s setting, love the music in it.

mongey

Reaction score
finished stranger things last night . I liked it allot . think 8 episodes was spot on pacing wise . a few washy plot points that I'm happy to let go

wankerness

Reaction score
Joining the club and started Stranger Things, up to episode 5 and really enjoying it so far. Definitely nice to have the 80s setting, love the music in it.

I saw an article on a generally reputable site recently saying "the show's total lack of good music makes it bad." It was written by an idiot or someone without functioning ears IMHO!

Maybrick

Reaction score
I saw an article on a generally reputable site recently saying "the show's total lack of good music makes it bad." It was written by an idiot or someone without functioning ears IMHO!

Whaaaaatt?! I loved the music in it. It was subtle, there wasnt too much and it wasnt too overpowering.

Now that I've finished Stranger Things, me and my GF have been struggling to choose what to watch next.

Currently on our list of shows to watch are Daredevil, House of Cards, Narco's and Peeky Blinders. I know everyone rave's about HOC and I really want to watch it but we watched the first two episodes of Daredevil the other day and I enjoyed them.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
LOL

The soundtrack to Stranger Things is pretty much my favorite part of the show! Seriously, I'm kind of obsessed with it.. :wub:

Wifey and I just blew through the series for a second time in as many weeks. It isn't as good the second time, with all the mystery unraveled, but we still enjoyed it. Super curious to see where they take it next.