T.V. shows you've been watching

• Thread starter pushpull7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I've never played anything but the Fallout Shelter nonsense on the phone, but the premise is so simple that it doesn't require much in the way of explanation. My wife and I are watching it, and we both dig it. Granted, we're both huge fans of Walton Goggins, and the other actors are doing a great job of that balancing act between goofy and WTF that really sells the environment.

I take back what I said before, it was just my impression after the first episode. Looks like a lot of the stuff is being explained retrospectively, which is good. It definitely seems like you could enjoy the show without knowing anything about the games.
And yeah, it definitely keeps getting better.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Show is a little old but my girl and I have been watching Grace & Frankie on Netflix. Pretty funny show, great cast, too. :yesway:

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Half way through Fallout and def agree with everyone else, it's a really great show, know nothing about the games, but tbf that doesn't seem to matter for this show. Only thing I would add that no one else has I think so far is full props for the soundtrack, all the old 40's & 50's etc tunes they have picked, and played throughout the series have been spot on for the overall feel of the show and the scenes they are played over

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Half way through Fallout and def agree with everyone else, it's a really great show, know nothing about the games, but tbf that doesn't seem to matter for this show. Only thing I would add that no one else has I think so far is full props for the soundtrack, all the old 40's & 50's etc tunes they have picked, and played throughout the series have been spot on for the overall feel of the show and the scenes they are played over
Speaking of which, how many people are constantly hearing "Set the World Afire" from Megadeth in their heads? They use that intro tune a LOT as the series progresses.

I could swear I have a copy of the original "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" in my crank-up record player gramps gave me. I should really bust that out sometime again.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Speaking of which, how many people are constantly hearing "Set the World Afire" from Megadeth in their heads? They use that intro tune a LOT as the series progresses.

I could swear I have a copy of the original "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" in my crank-up record player gramps gave me. I should really bust that out sometime again.
SFSGSW is my favorite Megadeth record, but the tracklist is in a stupid order. I have it basically replicating the PSBWB tracklist order (sort of like RTL and MOP).

Side A
Into the Lungs of Hell
Set the World Afire
Liar
Hook in Mouth

Side B
Mary Jane
In My Darkest Hour
Anarchy in the UK

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Only 8 episodes of Farscape left. I'll be sad when it's over, it's been a great ride. I wouldn't have agreed as a child, but this show is much stronger than SG-1. Though, SG-1 is not without its charm.

Wrapped up Fallout S1, really enjoyed it. The Ghoul was a standout character but I found myself enjoying them all by the end. The reprise of "Okey-Dokey" as it slowly got more gritty and worldly was among many fun, cute little very Fallout tidbits.
Twin Peaks: The Return definitely primed me for Bad Guy Kyle MacLachlan.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Invincible S2 - Dropped this season halfway through to watch more Farscape, forgot about it, and finished it up over the weekend. Now I remember why I went back to watching Farscape. It was okay but just didn't really hold my attention. I did enjoy the reprise of Buff Allen, and Rex had some surprisingly interesting character development, but overall not much to write home about. Back to Farscape.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Finished up Shogun and really liked it, even if the actor who played John Blackthorn did grate on me a bit with the way he spoke, but I was there for just about every other character. I was prepared for it to only be 1 season and sure enough I didn't see any plans for a 2nd, which is totally fine because I'd rather they don't try to milk it and dilute all the great work they did. Not quite what I expected with the ending, but they do tie it up pretty well if you think about it for more than 5 seconds.

Suppose I should download Fallout now.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
Once I finished Fallout, I gave The Tourist on Netflix a try. Better than I expected. On season 2 now.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Agreed with everyone that Shogun was fantastic. The finale hit the landing for me and a great way to end the story.

A lot of right decisions were made for this show. Getting Hiroyuki Sanada as producer was important, since getting a good chunk of authenticity of the Sengoku JIdai for the Western audience was paramount. Makes even more sense when he's actually played Ieyasu Tokugawa in the past. There's less of Blackthrone himself in this version over the 80s TV show, which in turn less of his friendship with Toranaga and a more complex relationship with Mariko. It works here since it ditches a lot of the sappy melodrama from the 80s. But it also portrays Toranaga in a slightly darker, more cunning light. A few other small changes also lift up a lot of the supporting characters making them more compelling (Nagakado for instance) without sacrificing too much of Blackthrone's screentime.

All the cast are great with Anna Sawai and Tadanobu Asano as the standouts. Even the support cast ware so good that they almost push Cosmo Jarvis by the wayside onscreen. All that on top of some well written dialogue. There were certain scenes in the last 2 episodes especially in the finale with just two people talking, and these scenes were just heartbreaking.

No need for future seasons. There's nothing beyond the book, so end it there. If FX do want some kind of continuity, just go on with Cavell's Asian saga novels. Tai-Pan is up next, and that needs a good adaptation since the 80s movie suuuuucked.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
All the cast are great with Anna Sawai and Tadanobu Asano as the standouts. Even the support cast ware so good that they almost push Cosmo Jarvis by the wayside onscreen. All that on top of some well written dialogue. There were certain scenes in the last 2 episodes especially in the finale with just two people talking, and these scenes were just heartbreaking
At the risk of sounding like a total weeb, in the scenes where Mariko and Toranaga were going back and forth with poetry I got pretty choked up. I know next to nothing about poetry and have only a surface-level appreciation of it but goddamn were those beautiful.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I finally got around to watching the Last Airbender Netflix show. I had low expectations as I was a massive fan of the original animated series.

I must say while it wasn't perfect by any means, I was quite entertained.

The guy they cast as sokka fit him to a tee. Lol He's so goofy looking, but he looks just like Sokka. It makes me laugh every time they show him, but in a good way. I'm just amazed they found someone who looked so much like him.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Finished Fallout, so damn good, and my partner really loved it. I like it a lot more than F04, though that isn't saying a whole lot. Love the overall humour and absurdity throughout to contrast some of the more intense parts of the story. I didn't put 2 and 2 together that Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy helped create it and how many parallels it has with season 1 of Westworld, even down to Rami Djawadi doing the original music. Very much looking forward to season 2.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
3 Body Problem
I saw the D's (of Game of Thrones infamy) listed as producers at the beginning and said, "Brace for stupid." One episode isn't exactly stupid, but they've done a bang-up job of making you not give a fuck about anybody so far. I could tell you a daughter watched her dad get beat to death with her mom leading the charge. Don't know who any of them are or why the fuck we should care other than "dad, mom, daughter." So what?

Not a good sign.

Dead Boy Detectives
A Gaiman created/influenced take on the supernatural that screams Gaiman from the rooftops. If you like his quirky humor, but wouldn't mind the weird being only 1/3rd of the show rather than 9/10ths? It's pretty entertaining. Basically two ghosts solving supernatural mysterious, joined by a girl psychic. Pretty much the same story we've seen a billion times with two guys and a girl, one dude can't stand her, the other is convinced everybody likes him, and she's pissed at both most of the time. Decent humor, and has a light-hearted, almost kid-show level of friendliness, even though it's definitely not a kid's show.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
3BP was a bit of a letdown for me. The basis for the story is really neat but it's only a skeleton for a lot of uninteresting, and a lot of idiotically drawn out, elements. The last episode's main event ends the season with much less of a cliffhanger than it seemingly intended to, and then the final scene has the introduction of something I saw coming from light years away- we all probably saw from that far away. The societal aspects of it are well done I think, or at least are different and deeper than your average bubblegum for the brain sci-fi. Otherwise I didn't find it as interesting as it could have been or as logically compelling as it needed to be.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Finished "The Sandman," it was good, although just sort of ends and it seems like there's no real consequences to anything, and episode 11 is two separate stories that just feel tacked on for nothing. Curious to see what they do in Season 2, I'm assuming Desire/Despair team up with Morningstar, to go against Dream/Destiny/Death but who knows, Neil has never been one for tradition.