The best lunchbox amps for metal

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I have collected quite a lot of amps over the years, most of which are smaller amps with a low wattage. That whole concept is just very appealing to me for a bunch of reasons. Since I have so many amps I don't have to pick any favorites. Some are good for certain tones, others for different tones. They each do their own thing and I love that!

Of course people still ask me which ones are 'the best' and mostly for metal so I decided to put together a little list of my top 5 favorite lunchbox amps for metal. Each of the amps in this list is great in its own way and I'm sure there are many amps not in this list that could (or perhaps even should) be, but this is just my personal opinion based on my personal experience with amps I've tried or own.

If there are any amps missing of course feel free to comment! I'm always interested in hearing about great rock and metal amps!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
I’ve got a 5150 III 6l5 50 watt, looking to add a few more flavors to the collection. Thanks for the video. I’ve been looking into Boogies (mini rec or recto-verb) and also the Marshall DSL20. Who am I kidding? I’ll probably buy the Marshall and one of the Boogies.

rowsi

Reaction score
Asking the important quesions: Do you have more amps or plastic monsters in your studio?

PS: I like your stuff, keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I play different stuff than that, but have been really impressed by Orange's Tiny Terror and Micro Dark.

LOVE my Tiny Terror. Not the most metal sounding amp by default but great for (heavy) rock! The micro dark is fun too!

@Guitarjon - perfect timing on that video. I've been looking hard at LBX amps recently. They're so temping.

The LBX amps are great! The EVH sound is very tight and pronounced though and it's not easily dialed out. That's why they're not on my list aside from an honorable mention. Can't deny that they're great amps! I would love to feature an LBX stealth on the channel!

I’ve got a 5150 III 6l5 50 watt, looking to add a few more flavors to the collection. Thanks for the video. I’ve been looking into Boogies (mini rec or recto-verb) and also the Marshall DSL20. Who am I kidding? I’ll probably buy the Marshall and one of the Boogies.

Haha, that's always the best option! Just get them all! The DSL20HR is quite affordable after all...

Asking the important quesions: Do you have more amps or plastic monsters in your studio?

PS: I like your stuff, keep up the good work!

Haha good question! I have a lot of action figures in that cupboard but I may have to put them into storage if I keep acquiring more gear...

nightlight

Reaction score
Would have been cool to add the new SLO 30 to the comparison, or maybe the Engl Ironball 20. Good job, Jon, keep the videos coming.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Would have been cool to add the new SLO 30 to the comparison, or maybe the Engl Ironball 20. Good job, Jon, keep the videos coming.

Haven't tried a Soldano in years but I don't remember it being the best metal amp per say. I have the Ironball and I love it but I chose the Fireball instead because of the 6L6 and slightly more versatile sound.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
I still swear by my HoTone Heart Attack for mini-amp needs. Not the best amp, but it is the tiniest amp that can give you a properly legit metal tone. Three band EQ, plenty of gain, proper effects loop, can drive a cab or go to headphones/interface. Sorted.

I know the "lunchbox" form factor is a bit different than the micro-amp area, but for me personally... If I want an amp that can move around then I want it as small as possible, and if I want anything else I probably want to use modelling that I can save settings for.

Oh and... The Heart Attack (and its brothers) cost like £80. If it got lost/broken/nicked then you wouldn't be crying.

skullfxr

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like my OR15 and Splawn Supersport.

The OR15 is a monster with a fuzz out front for doom. I have jammed with drummers with it and it holds up well for us in the room, but far off from gigging without a mic.

The Splawn SS is great. It has 6V6 in the power section which holds the low end together a little better than a EL84 amp. I like the aspect of the Splawn how it has both channels, two gears, and OD1/OD2. The features are right up with the big Splawns, as well as the bite.