The Car Thread

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black dingus
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
One of those things is not like the other.
C7 is because dealers are absolutely clearing them off the lots, and this in turn is making the used market take a dive as well, either way it would only be if I found a supremely sick deal on one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
Yeah, I got it late 2017, but I don't have the time or money since I'm finishing up school 350 miles away and saving my pennies for credential/grad school. Trust me, it hurts, especially when they do the annual miata race.

Miata is the better track car because it's the BEST, BRZ is the better daily because backseats and more storage. Not to say that a miata is a bad daily, but it's less than ideal in some situations. I bought an office chair and had to carry it in my passenger seat with the top down. The wheels spun like a propeller behind me.

I'm also biased on this, but consider an NA. For a third of the price of what a new ND club costs, you can get an excellent condition NA with a bolt-on CARB legal supercharger (https://www.fastforwardsuperchargers.com/products.html#kit) and an incredible suspension. They're robust and reliable as hell, and you won't feel like shit when you scuff something at the track or push it too hard because parts are dumb cheap. Everything is mechanical, so it's stupidly responsive (compared to something like a newer Mini, which just feels sterile. Can't speak to how an ND feels). My NA is my favorite car I've ever driven.

I’d actually be quite happy to just do an NA if it were just for a track car, but it has to double as a nice and safe daily for the gf, which is why the ND/Brz makes more sense

JSanta

Reaction score
In all seriousness I am thinking about getting a fun manual track car that will also double as a good daily for the gf:
Thinking
Nd Miata club
Brz/86 (with some proper tires)
C7 grand sport

What you guys think?

I'm a Subaru brand Ambassador, so my vote goes to anything Subaru. The BRZ is a really fun car to drive, and being the only RWD car that Subaru makes, something a little bit more special. My next car will probably be a WRX or STI, so take whatever I'm saying with a grain of salt!

shadscbr

Reaction score
I vote for one of the GT86's, you can carry your autocross/track wheels and tires in the hatch, and they are so fun to slide around. :)

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Get a S2000. Thank me later. :)

This is the correct answer, but the new ND Miata might be the better car. It pains be to say this as an AP2 owner but the ND2 is definitely the car to own for SCCA STR now, and they're depreciating unlike the S2000.

In all seriousness I am thinking about getting a fun manual track car that will also double as a good daily for the gf:
Thinking
Nd Miata club
Brz/86 (with some proper tires)
C7 grand sport

What you guys think?

Probably the BRZ/86 for the extra utility compared to the ND. They make great track cars, are cheap, and have a ton of aftermarket support. The 86 cup is a fairly popular amateur series in CA; it might be worth looking for something similar where you're located.

I don't know if I could recommend the C7 as a track car to someone that doesn't have much track time. Expensive consumable, higher limits, and much higher speeds compared to the other cars. Then again, it'll be cheaper to track than the Performante :lol:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
C7 with the widebody & aero on it is a pain in the ass daily, I'd go BRZ.

I think the C7 actually has more cargo space but smaller cars are easier to drive day in day out.

ND2 Miatas are spectacular though. I keep debating ditching the FC to get an ND2 instead. I think I'd get one of those then leave the keys to the RS3 or whatever your other other daily is if she needs a trunk.

goobaba

Reaction score
NCD

Traded in my 2016 Camaro RS for a 2015 Genesis 5.0. My main reason for doing so is having to haul around my 2 year old son. I made it work in the cramro by having the child seat in the front passenger seat, then strapping him in, then lifting the whole unit into the back and strapping him in back there. As much as I tried to convince myself that it was a 4 seater and that it was going to work, it actually was a nightmare. Compiled on to that was that the cramro was a manual and my wife can't drive stick. As much as I wanted her to learn and was willing to teach she was never actually receptive. RIP cramro, you were a fantastic, fun to drive car...

But as much as I miss my cramro I'm already loving the Genesis. The luxury of the Genesis Ultimate package makes it a fantastic daily. Leather, panoramic sunroof, automated cruise control and lane departure, big roomy interior, and quiet operation are all features lacking in my old car. Not to mention, the beefy 5L V8 makes it faster to 60 than my old car.

The cherry on top was how cheap these are going for right now. There are a lot of one owner leases coming in and I got mine for $23K low mileage. Not to mention the crazy power train warranty on these cars. If you want a fun daily car without breaking the break, I'd suggest that you take at look at these.

guitaardvark

Reaction score
n39j.jpg

Perhaps the wrong thread, but I picked this up the other day to give to my mom when I move back home. I've been riding motorcycles for 3 years now, and I've ridden my fair share: supersports, adventure, cruisers, supermotos, etc. This is by far the most fun and most dangerous two wheeler I've ever been on. I took it on some of the busiest roads in Long Beach (including the traffic circle for those who know) and it was absolutely terrifying. Still, there's something awesome about going wide open throttle and capping out at 45 MPH.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
My car started doing some funny shit again :lol: It started making a pretty loud clank every time I turned right at low speed. So I asked the guys at the repair shop where I have my tires changed to check it out (since they lift it up anyway to change the tires), and at first it looked like the sway bar was broken, but when we looked closer, it was pretty clear that one rubber spanner thing was missing, and the metal parts were clanking together. Took them maybe 15 minutes to dig up the part and install it, 20€ and boom, no more clanking.

I'll be getting a new car soon too, but more on that when I can post an NCD :) (I'm waiting for my bank to process my loan application)

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
So here's the car I bought yesterday:

uc

uc

It's not quite in mint condition, but it feels like a brand new car compared to my old rust bucket. I still can't believe I got 2k€ for it!
Also the old car had a 1.4 engine, and this one has a 1.6 (55kW -> 75kW) and I definitely felt the difference straight away. The old one wasn't underpowered or anything but with this one stuff just happens in a whole different way when you put your foot down. The car feels very sporty in general, the clutch and stick in particular being quite stiff. Also given that summer is starting, I'm super happy that I now have AC in my car :lol: Cruise Control is a pretty neat feature too.