The Car Thread

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black dingus
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
So here's the car I bought yesterday:

uc

uc

It's not quite in mint condition, but it feels like a brand new car compared to my old rust bucket. I still can't believe I got 2k€ for it!
Also the old car had a 1.4 engine, and this one has a 1.6 (55kW -> 75kW) and I definitely felt the difference straight away. The old one wasn't underpowered or anything but with this one stuff just happens in a whole different way when you put your foot down. The car feels very sporty in general, the clutch and stick in particular being quite stiff. Also given that summer is starting, I'm super happy that I now have AC in my car :lol: Cruise Control is a pretty neat feature too.
I can't believe Ford is dropping all their sedans.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I can't believe Ford is dropping all their sedans.

Apparently just North America though. Huge shame though, the latest Mondeo model for example looks awesome. I really like Ford's current front grill designs in general - I mean, my car, which is previous gen, looks pretty sporty and all that too, but the latest ones are just awesome. First time I saw a 2018 Mondeo, I thought it was a Maserati or similar :)

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Apparently just North America though. Huge shame though, the latest Mondeo model for example looks awesome. I really like Ford's current front grill designs in general - I mean, my car, which is previous gen, looks pretty sporty and all that too, but the latest ones are just awesome. First time I saw a 2018 Mondeo, I thought it was a Maserati or similar :)

We have the exact same Focus, and you have no idea how much I kick myself for not upgrading the front grill when it went into the shop a year back. I hadn't seen the new one by then, and just kept it as was, felt like such a dummy afterwards.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
We have the exact same Focus

Question! Have you installed an aux-plug into it? Mine doesn't have that, only USB and a hole for a 3.5mm plug next to it. I'm thinking of installing one but I'd like to know how much of a hassle it is to do.
I have a bluetooth-usb dongle that creates mp3 of the audio on the fly, and then the stereo is able to play that. That's a super simple plug-and-play solution, and it works really well, but the sound quality is pretty bad. So I'm weighing my options on what to do about it. CD/radio works of course, but I prefer listening to Spotify. My current solution is simply to EQ out the treble as much as possible, that makes it mostly bearable...

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Question! Have you installed an aux-plug into it? Mine doesn't have that, only USB and a hole for a 3.5mm plug next to it. I'm thinking of installing one but I'd like to know how much of a hassle it is to do.
I have a bluetooth-usb dongle that creates mp3 of the audio on the fly, and then the stereo is able to play that. That's a super simple plug-and-play solution, and it works really well, but the sound quality is pretty bad. So I'm weighing my options on what to do about it. CD/radio works of course, but I prefer listening to Spotify. My current solution is simply to EQ out the treble as much as possible, that makes it mostly bearable...

I bought an aux cable for it, since the 3.5mm I have is labeled on the dash as an aux in, but have still forgotten to use it every day since my phone autoconnects to the BT :lol: Have you tried an aux on the 3.5mm and it just doesn't work? Because every car I've owned, even if it isn't labelled as one, has acted as one.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I bought an aux cable for it, since the 3.5mm I have is labeled on the dash as an aux in, but have still forgotten to use it every day since my phone autoconnects to the BT :lol: Have you tried an aux on the 3.5mm and it just doesn't work? Because every car I've owned, even if it isn't labelled as one, has acted as one.

It's just an empty hole, so no, I haven't tried it :lol: I googled those things and there are various kinds of "boxes" that plug into the stereo, some have usb+3.5mm and some only have usb. I don't understand the logic of leaving out the 3.5mm for some models, as the headers are there in the stereo anyway, but that's how they've decided to do. So yeah, I'd either need to buy a different box that has both 3.5mm and usb or just install the 3.5mm separately beside the usb-box (which is likely the cheaper option).

Sounds like you have a fancier version of the stereo though, since it has BT integrated. My usb (and the 3.5mm connector hole) are inside the glove compartment, by the way.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
It's just an empty hole, so no, I haven't tried it :lol: I googled those things and there are various kinds of "boxes" that plug into the stereo, some have usb+3.5mm and some only have usb. I don't understand the logic of leaving out the 3.5mm for some models, as the headers are there in the stereo anyway, but that's how they've decided to do. So yeah, I'd either need to buy a different box that has both 3.5mm and usb or just install the 3.5mm separately beside the usb-box (which is likely the cheaper option).

Sounds like you have a fancier version of the stereo though, since it has BT integrated. My usb (and the 3.5mm connector hole) are inside the glove compartment, by the way.

Hmm, mine is in the console, but I'm really curious now if it's an empty hole just connected to nothing. That'd be a real sheister thing to do :lol: I don't know why there might be a discrepancy between the US/EU versions, but it wouldn't shock me.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Hmm, mine is in the console, but I'm really curious now if it's an empty hole just connected to nothing. That'd be a real sheister thing to do :lol: I don't know why there might be a discrepancy between the US/EU versions, but it wouldn't shock me.

I just googled it some more and looks like a bunch of people are wondering about the same thing :lol: It doesn't even seem to be a US/EU thing, there seem to be both kinds in both regions. Very weird. What I find even weirder is that when I press the AUX-button on the stereo, it says "Line-in active" and when I click it again it goes to USB, so it's even enabled in the firmware despite the actual cable/connector not being there :lol:
I found out that installing the connector is relatively easy, there's just 3 pins (left, right, ground) in the main connector that need to be soldered or otherwise connected and that's that...

Adieu

Reaction score
Is there a separate truck/SUV thread somewhere or is everybody here actually THAT heavily biased towards econoboxes and sports sedans???

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there a separate truck/SUV thread somewhere or is everybody here actually THAT heavily biased towards econoboxes and sports sedans???

The majority of active posters in here are from abroad, where larger vehicles aren't as popular as the US.

You're welcome to talk about trucks and SUVs though. :)

I just bought an F150 as my 96' Ranger is getting troublesome at almost 320k.

Still have a few project Jeep XJs in various states of disrepair and an XK I don't quite know what to do with.

Whatcha got?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those rebadged Mazda BT50s are awesome. It's a shame we can't get a good, affordable small truck over here anymore.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I have a truck. It has an 8.1L and is paid off so I still have it.

Those rebadged Mazda BT50s are awesome. It's a shame we can't get a good, affordable small truck over here anymore.

I just saw the new F.50/Ranger at a dealership recently. No idea on the specs. It appeared to be a fully loaded baby Raptor-esque version running for $53K IIRC. Showroom queen.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a truck. It has an 8.1L and is paid off so I still have it.

I just saw the new F.50/Ranger at a dealership recently. No idea on the specs. It appeared to be a fully loaded baby Raptor-esque version running for $53K IIRC. Showroom queen.

Yeah, that's where I'm at with the XK.

The new Ranger is awesome. It's just too new. The dealerships don't seem to be ready to really deal on them, so I wound up with an F150. It's the last MY before refresh so they're giving them away compared to the Ranger.

I test drove a couple of F150 Raptors, and they're absolute monsters. It felt like driving one of the Super Duties at work. Just huge for a 1/2 ton.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
As someone who grew up riding around in a red, 2 door Ranger from 1990 - 2004, I absolutely LOVE the look of the new Ranger; like, it makes me want to buy a truck just to relieve those days. I still have 3 years worth of payments on the Focus, so it won't happen soon, but I hope they stay around for a while.