The Car Thread

• Thread starter bulb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black dingus
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
aahhh man! That makes me miss my old 370z. It was hands down the most fun car I've ever owned. ...now i just have a jeep that drives like a turtle, but ya know... living in canada... the old 370z convertible just wasn't good up here ⛄

I still have my Jeep, it's a diesel Liberty that someone who has wanted a fast car since Fast and Furious came out of got a hold of, and the suspension is so worn out to the point it feel sports car-ish, I've pulled off one of these

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
I just realized a few weeks ago that I've only ever seen one since launch...and only because I saw a 370, and it reminded me, "Oh hey...that's right, there's a new one..."
unfortunatly there are only a few in the wild. i used to have an 04 350z and miss it. would be fun to have basically a stock, 400hp turbo of it with modern somr amenities

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Don't get rid of the S2k. They don't make cars like that anymore and modern regs ensure they never will.

Modern cars have to be ultra fast just have a half decent chance of not being boring.. doesn't matter how much money you throw at it, the equivalent car from the mid-2000s to early 2010s will be a better drivers car imo.

Do get a fun daily but don't spend mega bucks on it, your kids are gonna beat the shit out of it. They're gonna be too young to get it for a long time, just buy used and keep your blood pressure down lol. I got a B8 A4. Last gen with the 6 speed. Peppy enough to be fun, sporty but not too stiff.

Thought about an S4 but I don't want a car payment so I would have had to sell the RX7. The best 4 door in the world is still a grocery getter compared to a 2 seater. Goes double when the 2 seater has no roof lol. Even selling now with the intention to get back in later.. prices are rising meteoric. Call it an investment to keep it

The white 07 328i a few posts up is my fun daily! I love it but I was seriously considering downsizing to one car for the sake of simplifying my life. Newborn, grad school, work. It's easy to forget about one of the cars or just be too tired to move my wife's car out of the way to pull the S2000 out :lol:. That ship has sailed though. The E90 M3 I was looking at sold and all the Honda dealerships I've spoken to want $65k+ for Type-Rs. Fuck that shit.

Great choice on the B8 A4 by the way! I've had lots of seat time in B5s-B7s and they were all great cars. My brother got 260k miles out of his old B7 2.0T before he sold it. Get a basic APR tune and your daily might be able to pull on your FC!

unfortunatly there are only a few in the wild. i used to have an 04 350z and miss it. would be fun to have basically a stock, 400hp turbo of it with modern somr amenities

Track down a Nismo 350Z! They've aged really well and I'd bet it's a better drive than the 400Z based on the reviews.

I heard something about there being a stop sale on the 400Z due to issues with both transmissions. If that's true I bet that's why there are so few in the wild.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score

I've driven my AP2 and old E36 M3 on these same roads and can't imagine the balls it would take to drift a 2,000hp car in the rain up there. Says a lot about the car, and the driver. I love EVs as personal appliances but haven't been sold on them as sports cars. This might be a glimpse into that future. All the torque vectoring and control you get from a motor in each wheel might allow manufacturers to hide weight and create a unique and engaging experience. Maybe we'll see this tech in something us regular people can afford in 10 years :lol:

I highly recommend this channel. The Lancia Stratos video is a personal favorite and really encapsulates what I love about driving.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I still have my Jeep, it's a diesel Liberty that someone who has wanted a fast car since Fast and Furious came out of got a hold of, and the suspension is so worn out to the point it feel sports car-ish, I've pulled off one of these

Ya, everybody wants to talk about how video games cause violence, never say anything about what happens when you grow up watching Dukes of Hazzard and Smokey and the Bandit.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score

Troubleshooting some idling issues after a local car show. Project cars truly never end 🙃

It runs pretty well, all things considered. Haven't taken it for a pass on E85/full boost yet, mostly out of a healthy sense of 'Jesus Christ this thing is going to kill me'. The handling is so squirrely when the turbo starts to kick in, despite the massive amount of rubber (335s on the back) and suspension tuning. I suspect we might have to start running the traction control in tandem with the AEM Infinity for a more sophisticated understanding of what's what and some more precise tweaking.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
The white 07 328i a few posts up is my fun daily! I love it but I was seriously considering downsizing to one car for the sake of simplifying my life. Newborn, grad school, work. It's easy to forget about one of the cars or just be too tired to move my wife's car out of the way to pull the S2000 out :lol:. That ship has sailed though. The E90 M3 I was looking at sold and all the Honda dealerships I've spoken to want $65k+ for Type-Rs. Fuck that shit.

Great choice on the B8 A4 by the way! I've had lots of seat time in B5s-B7s and they were all great cars. My brother got 260k miles out of his old B7 2.0T before he sold it. Get a basic APR tune and your daily might be able to pull on your FC!
ooh yeah an E90 would be a great daily. I still think doing whatever you can do keep the S2k is the right move but those older Ms are too cool.

the A4 will already pull on the RX, haha. It's slow... needs love. Turbo needs rebuilt, needs both front hubs done, probably a new transmission, and a better tune.. all things there's no time or money for with the 2 kids and basement development going on. Basically at this point all I'm trying to do is keep it and keep it running so I can enjoy it a bit for now and rejuvenate it some time in like ... 2027 maybe hahah

Metropolis

Reaction score
It's time to let go the Golf GTI MK6 we got year and a half ago. It's been an adventure with the used turbo engined german car, sadly it has come to and end.

In yearly inspection the inspector got his tool right through the rusted drivers side rocker panel. And this car was built in 2009. It's going to be repaired next week and costs about 800,00€, which is not a big deal really. What's really big deal we had to change way too much engine parts; waterpump, intake manifold, crank shaft main seal, and DSG transmission service. Rear brakes with brake discs, pads and calipers, and front springs. Rear left wheel bearings with the abs-sensor... ugh. The usual main culprits with these cars when they get old enough. Couldn't believe that all those went in short amount of time. It also misfires a bit when you pull enough, which means that coil packs and plugs have to be changed. Gas smell also in the cabin from the air vents in slow speeds or standing still, nothing is leaking though. It also could be a jammed injector, but haven't looked at any engine codes for some time, and it could possibly have engine light because of it. Maybe because the ignition side of the things. These aren't really reliable cars, and it's really a hit or miss if previous owners have not taken care of it. It's been good for six months now though because of all the repairing and maintenance.

Next one isn't Volkswagen, Audi, or Skoda. I really wanted to like this car but it has it's annoying quirks, things have to be little bit more simple in that regard. Rust was really the shortest straw. Probably looking at Ford Focus ST mk3 facelift with manual transmission and 2.0 liter EcoBoost petrol engine. I would like a BMW or Mercedes, but my spouse isn't really fond about rear wheel drive car :lol: At least those don't get rusted like hell in harsh finnish winters. Which is maybe why brands like Toyota are really popular year after year in here.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's nothing flashy about regular Toyotas but you generally can bet it's going to be pretty reliable. Unlike my experiences with Chevrolet and especially Ford. I think Ford engineers are sadists lol

Metropolis

Reaction score
There's nothing flashy about regular Toyotas but you generally can bet it's going to be pretty reliable. Unlike my experiences with Chevrolet and especially Ford. I think Ford engineers are sadists lol
Honda and Nissan too, probably from korean brands Kia. It really depends if it's american made Ford or something else, I think they seem to vary a lot. Reliable car is most likely japanese or korean brand.

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score

Yep. Hondas are solid too.

Honda engine: Wow, look at how they put channels on the side of the engine to divert oil seepage away from sensitive components. Amazing how well this thing runs after 300,000 miles...

Ford engine: kind if a bummer these heads are so mismatched to the block you need head gasket replacements at a predictable interval. Plus the V6 makes the same horsepower as a Honda I4 and takes 10 more MPG to do so...

Chevy engine: they probably should have made this important part of the cooling system out of metal instead of plastic so it wouldn't explode, dump all the coolant on the highway and blow the engine. Also, they probably should have put the temperature sensor somewhere where it wouldn't read "just above normal" when all that was happening.

All cars I've owned...

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Probably looking at Ford Focus ST mk3 facelift with manual transmission and 2.0 liter EcoBoost petrol engine.

I can definitely recommend the Focus mk3. Mine's not the facelift version and it's only got a 1.6 engine without ecoboost, but it's been reliable throughout. I had to have the timing belt changed a bit after I bought it because the previous owner hadn't done it when they should have, but that's pretty much all, and I've had the car for 4 years already. And now I'm having the windshield replaced on Wednesday because of the damned law change (you can't have any cracks in the area the wipers operate in), but luckily that'll just set me back 340€.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Had my windshield replaced today. What a difference, and I imagine it'll be even bigger when driving at night.

Now I just gotta take the car somewhere else to check and fix whatever's making a clinking noise at low speed - my guess is it's just some rubber part that's worn out at the sway bar connecting rod, but who knows...

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
So IDK if anyone else has thought about getting a fake/vanity plate for when they take pictures of your car for social media, like how a bunch of people have the Quiet plates. I mean I know you can make a copy of a key through a picture, I don't want pics of my license plate out there. Should I get a plate only for pictures that says something, or should I go car movie refrence, like CNH320 or CQB241 for that extra social media cred from someone who gets the reference?

Millul

Reaction score
Been looking hard at BMWs lately, either the F22 2 series or the F32 4 series, most probablz with 28/30i engines (doubt I can swing the 35/40i, unfortunately...), haven't found the right deal yet.
Bonus chance if a great Alfa Giulia Veloce pops up, but those are more expensive and have some quirks I'm not too keen on, as well as not having that good/widespread of a service network here in Germany (compared to Italy)

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Been looking hard at BMWs lately, either the F22 2 series or the F32 4 series, most probablz with 28/30i engines (doubt I can swing the 35/40i, unfortunately...), haven't found the right deal yet.
Bonus chance if a great Alfa Giulia Veloce pops up, but those are more expensive and have some quirks I'm not too keen on, as well as not having that good/widespread of a service network here in Germany (compared to Italy)

I'm a big fan of the F22 2 Series. Especially in Estoril Blue: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-project-f22-228i

One of the last good looking BMWs. The current 2/3/4 are awful to look at.

Millul

Reaction score
Last edited: