The Contortionist Megathread

• Thread starter MetalJordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Well.... Tonight The Contortionist are in town and honestly, I'm not going. After seeing that bullshit setlist of "Songs that span all of The Contortionist's catalog" when really they only have two Exoplanet songs, to the poor clips I've seen of those two Exoplanet songs, and one more personal reason with them I can't really talk about, I'm not going. What I once claimed to be my all time favorite band, I just can't do it anymore. Too much disappointment, too much change, and not enough for me to care. Exoplanet and Intrinsic will always hold a place in my heart and on my wall (I printed both album covers onto canvas) but they are no longer my favorite band. Damn am I glad I never got an Intrinsic tattoo like I planned for a couple years. I'm also going to sell my LACS if anyone is interested and a big fan of theirs.

cip 123

Reaction score
Well.... Tonight The Contortionist are in town and honestly, I'm not going. After seeing that bullshit setlist of "Songs that span all of The Contortionist's catalog" when really they only have two Exoplanet songs, to the poor clips I've seen of those two Exoplanet songs, and one more personal reason with them I can't really talk about, I'm not going. What I once claimed to be my all time favorite band, I just can't do it anymore. Too much disappointment, too much change, and not enough for me to care. Exoplanet and Intrinsic will always hold a place in my heart and on my wall (I printed both album covers onto canvas) but they are no longer my favorite band. Damn am I glad I never got an Intrinsic tattoo like I planned for a couple years. I'm also going to sell my LACS if anyone is interested and a big fan of theirs.
Still my fave band, how much for the Lacs? :p

Reaction score
I've pretty much gotten over the fact that they're not the same band anymore and while its kind of a bummer that nothing like Exoplanet will come from them again I don't really mind it. Anything resembling their work on Exoplanet is going to feel pretty forced to me and I honestly really enjoy their newer sound even though I hated it in the beginning. One thing I'll never understand though is all the love for Intrinsic. I feel like I'm listening to a different album than everyone else because its easily their worst and most boring album.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
I thought intrinsic was pretty much exactly what a transition album between old sounds and new sounds would be. I dig it. I like the newer stuff, just not as much as the old stuff. The new stuff is, to me, actually much less dynamic than the old stuff and there's almost no RIFFS! They're still an awesome live band, but I'd like to see them dig a little deeper into their heavy ideas going forward. Constant subtlety isn't subtle, its boring after a while.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I thought intrinsic was pretty much exactly what a transition album between old sounds and new sounds would be. I dig it. I like the newer stuff, just not as much as the old stuff. The new stuff is, to me, actually much less dynamic than the old stuff and there's almost no RIFFS! They're still an awesome live band, but I'd like to see them dig a little deeper into their heavy ideas going forward. Constant subtlety isn't subtle, its boring after a while.
Yup, well said. Like I've said before, Intrinsic is my favorite album of theirs. I don't want an Exoplanet 2, I want stuff that's interesting and has great contrast of heavy and soft. I want some awesome riffs, but sadly the last two albums just didn't give that at all. Obviously they are artists and they can make what they want. I just lost interest though.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Yup, well said. Like I've said before, Intrinsic is my favorite album of theirs. I don't want an Exoplanet 2, I want stuff that's interesting and has great contrast of heavy and soft. I want some awesome riffs, but sadly the last two albums just didn't give that at all. Obviously they are artists and they can make what they want. I just lost interest though.
If they make another album with the only dynamics being quiet and small or quiet and epic, I'll probably lose interest, too. They're definitely missing the riffs on the last couple. Neither of those records is bad, but neither of them is ever going to get as many listens as Exoplanet or Intrinsic for me.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I've pretty much gotten over the fact that they're not the same band anymore and while its kind of a bummer that nothing like Exoplanet will come from them again I don't really mind it. Anything resembling their work on Exoplanet is going to feel pretty forced to me and I honestly really enjoy their newer sound even though I hated it in the beginning. One thing I'll never understand though is all the love for Intrinsic. I feel like I'm listening to a different album than everyone else because its easily their worst and most boring album.
The reason I enjoy Intrinsic so much is because of the contrast. They nailed the heavy technical riffs while keeping a lot of ambient softness. I think the best example is the beginning of Causality. That part makes you feel like you are floating through space of ambient, heavy, riffage. It's just a surreal sound they achieved with the album (even if the mix isn't the greatest). So when Language came around, they kept the ambient, but that heavy riffage mix/contrast was gone. I can't stand Language and I will never understand what people see in that album.

cip 123

Reaction score
I can't stand Language and I will never understand what people see in that album.

Exact opposite, don't see what all the fuss is with the older stuff.

As for the the "Floating through Space ambient/heavy riffs" I feel like the space theme is worn out (Like a lot), and thats kinda how I feel about the old stuff on the lyrical content, it doesn't really grab me or have any message what so ever to me. The newer stuff has more I can grab on to and relate to.

But I got in to Contortionist through Language, so it's always been from then on for me and I understand not liking where a band has changed over the years.

Hope you still check out the newer stuff cause I think they might get a bit heavier again, but who knows?

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Exact opposite, don't see what all the fuss is with the older stuff.

As for the the "Floating through Space ambient/heavy riffs" I feel like the space theme is worn out (Like a lot), and thats kinda how I feel about the old stuff on the lyrical content, it doesn't really grab me or have any message what so ever to me. The newer stuff has more I can grab on to and relate to.

But I got in to Contortionist through Language, so it's always been from then on for me and I understand not liking where a band has changed over the years.

Hope you still check out the newer stuff cause I think they might get a bit heavier again, but who knows?
I'll still check it out, just no longer my favorite band like they once were. I don't know a single band or album that has that "Floating through space ambient/heavy riffs" sound. If you have suggestions, I'm all ears. I've been searching for years but found nothing close. To be honest I listen to music most of the time for the instruments and think about the lyrics second. I definitely get not being able to relate, but I also enjoy the themes. You have to remember that Exoplanet is now 8 years old, so it was cool at the time (still is to me). And Intrinsic is all about psychology and the mind. You can read more about it here.

Cam made it sound like they were going heavier when I talked to him, but honestly I really doubt it... He did say they still love metal and playing heavy, but I sure as hell don't see that.

Reaction score
You can't want them to be "interesting", and at the same time, be the same "Exo". That just doesn't make sense.

If they (or any band) didn't change or evolve musically... you would all say.. "oh that's teh sam shit i heard last album OMG djent much??? be origianl;llz" (see BOO)

Or, if they didn't release anything at all you would be saying "omg necrophag-tool anyday now release something... dead band"

It is always disappointing to not get what you want. But it's soooo much more fulfilling to appreciate what you have. Enjoy it.

and stfukthxbye

inb4fanboi

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
You can't want them to be "interesting", and at the same time, be the same "Exo". That just doesn't make sense.

If they (or any band) didn't change or evolve musically... you would all say.. "oh that's teh sam shit i heard last album OMG djent much??? be origianl;llz" (see BOO)

Or, if they didn't release anything at all you would be saying "omg necrophag-tool anyday now release something... dead band"

It is always disappointing to not get what you want. But it's soooo much more fulfilling to appreciate what you have. Enjoy it.

and stfukthxbye

inb4fanboi
I'll just quote myself and leave it at that... "I don't want an Exoplanet 2, I want stuff that's interesting and has great contrast of heavy and soft." That's completely achievable while evolving their sound. Between the Buried and Me are a perfect example of just that.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score

and stfukthxbye

inb4fanboi
You can maintain the spirit of the older music without leaving all the riffs at the door. 90% of Clairvoyant doesn't even need guitars in the mix, and if you took them out, people would barely even notice. It's (kinda) heavy Enya compared to even Intrinsic. I don't care if he wants to sing in his low, quiet voice all the time (even though his more powerful singing voice is better, IMO), but the music could DO SOMETHING besides be whispy and floaty.

FancyFish

bruh
Reaction score
I don't know a single band or album that has that "Floating through space ambient/heavy riffs" sound. If you have suggestions, I'm all ears. I've been searching for years but found nothing close.

You might of already checked them out because you've been searching for awhile, but how about Rosetta? I feel like they do that spacey-heavy thing pretty well. Another favorite of mine would be Archivist. Actually, I think a lot of post-metal bands do that thing.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
You might of already checked them out because you've been searching for awhile, but how about Rosetta? I feel like they do that spacey-heavy thing pretty well. Another favorite of mine would be Archivist. Actually, I think a lot of post-metal bands do that thing.
I actually never heard of either of those bands, mainly because I don't listen to any post-metal. But thank you for the suggestion, I will happily take a listen to them at work today.

FancyFish

bruh
Reaction score
I actually never heard of either of those bands, mainly because I don't listen to any post-metal. But thank you for the suggestion, I will happily take a listen to them at work today.
For Rosetta, "A Determinism of Morality" and "The Anaesthete" are my personal favorites. And for Archivist, I really like their debut self-titled. I think Archivist is only on Bandcamp tho.