The CRAZIEST guitar gear collection on the internet?

• Thread starter BadSeed
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
People want more gear when they surf forums and youtube, full stop. Get offline and watch GAS dissipate.

The norlin 95-2024 pricing is also people going “its vintage now!” And a lot of them are overpriced. I absolutely foresee people trying to milk 2002 recto cabs, but used 412s have been a harder sell for a while. No one’s getting younger :lol:. And i say that as someone likely to sell their 412 for a different 412.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I do find this one bit perplexing. I can understand having a bunch of different heads, pedals, or guitars, because they can each offer something unique, and he can use them in comparison videos or whatever. Amps can be especially useful since Kyle has a QC/ToneX and can make profiles for all of them.

But cabs? I don't get the huge amount, and it seems like they're eating up most of his space. I know he plans to make IR's of a bunch of them, so maybe once that project is done he'll sell a lot off. That's gonna be a lot of work though.

I've got my 2 412s, a 212, and 112, and I can't imagine having any more than that.
nah cabs make more of a tonal difference than amps do. They're just big and awkward and also a lot of us use monitors at least half the time so it's harder to justify cabs. (I still have 3 cabs)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I never know what to make of these threads, because you don't want to go around yucking someone else's yum, exactly, but also the biggest limiting factor to having a huge gear collection is money, and disposable income specifically, and that has... very little to do with most of the things I care about in music. But, that doesn't mean it's wrong for someone else to care about it either, of course, too. I just feel like it's a can of worms, and only rarely worth opening.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I never know what to make of these threads, because you don't want to go around yucking someone else's yum, exactly, but also the biggest limiting factor to having a huge gear collection is money, and disposable income specifically, and that has... very little to do with most of the things I care about in music. But, that doesn't mean it's wrong for someone else to care about it either, of course, too. I just feel like it's a can of worms, and only rarely worth opening.

I suppose you'd hate my craziest cans of worms collection...

Reaction score
The original post video is kind of... boring. It makes me sad to see a bunch of what seems to be great (as functional with good of quality but not necessarily expensive) gear not being used for years or so. I have no problem with owning these collections, but it makes me sad for the instruments not being used.

... and it's impossible to know how to make the most of all this gear...

.... and the video gets so boring with the "I have this, I have that" over and over again, like 2 or 3 times every minute... what a headache.

TheInvisibleHand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That all just seems like a lot of gear to play the same riff dialed in to sound the same as every other amp it's played on... I mean, wouldn't a tagline of "beligerant drop c hardore riffs" by definition imply that the player would be playing through whatever amp they could get their hands on?

I don't know, this amount of redundant gear seems less like a hobby/ career move than an addiction to amassing a huge amount of crap they'll never use.

owlexifry

Reaction score
i can understand the desire to want to have at least x1 of each cool thing that tickles the curiosity, maybe play it a couple times and let it sit in your collection. come back to it whenever you feel like it, or not.

for me the main obstacle to a growing gear collection isn't a concern about hoarding or sunk costs or even physical space to keep it all.
for me, its fucken housing security.
been living on rental / lease properties all my adult life, currently have about 8 guitars, a few heads, x1 cab, and a tonne of pedals.

genuinely concerned that one day I might have to sell the lot when i can't find a new lease.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i can understand the desire to want to have at least x1 of each cool thing that tickles the curiosity, maybe play it a couple times and let it sit in your collection. come back to it whenever you feel like it, or not.

for me the main obstacle to a growing gear collection isn't a concern about hoarding or sunk costs or even physical space to keep it all.
for me, its fucken housing security.
been living on rental / lease properties all my adult life, currently have about 8 guitars, a few heads, x1 cab, and a tonne of pedals.

genuinely concerned that one day I might have to sell the lot when i can't find a new lease.
You are not free until you have a paid off house. Remember that and make it your goal. Until then you are firmly stuck in the consumerist trap. If your employer on a whim can toss you aside and you lose your housing that is a big problem.

Even with that reality don’t stress about housing security. It can seriously fuck with your head. Just move forward to put yourself in the best position you can and don’t beat yourself up.

No gear hoards until you own your house and won’t have it taken away if you are out of work for 6 months!

owlexifry

Reaction score
You are not free until you have a paid off house. Remember that and make it your goal. Until then you are firmly stuck in the consumerist trap. If your employer on a whim can toss you aside and you lose your housing that is a big problem
yep

Even with that reality don’t stress about housing security. It can seriously fuck with your head. Just move forward to put yourself in the best position you can and don’t beat yourself up.
it sure does. i just tell myself that things can always get worse, and that many others have it way worse.

No gear hoards until you own your house
this.

but, i may never own a house.
australia is fucked.
might never get a chance to retire. probably gonna just keep working til im dead and/or take a long walk off a short jetty.

Shask

Reaction score
You are not free until you have a paid off house. Remember that and make it your goal. Until then you are firmly stuck in the consumerist trap. If your employer on a whim can toss you aside and you lose your housing that is a big problem.

No gear hoards until you own your house and won’t have it taken away if you are out of work for 6 months!
Been my goal the last few years. I dont buy a lot of gear because I pay a ton extra towards the house. I want that mortgage gone.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
yep

it sure does. i just tell myself that things can always get worse, and that many others have it way worse.

this.

but, i may never own a house.
australia is fucked.
might never get a chance to retire. probably gonna just keep working til im dead and/or take a long walk off a short jetty.
Yeah man Australia when you are a not a baby boomer is life on hard mode. Insane housing prices and totally crappy wages.

Immigrate to the US mid-west. The spiders are less scary and houses with basements to store 100 cabinets are still cheap compared to Australia. The weather is crazy in the winter though.

Seriously with what is going on right now in Australia and Canada I dunno why you have not replaced your entire governments (via voting). The US it’s screwed up, but not like those two countries. On a total depressing path for the middle class…well what’s left of it.

Doesn’t the government realize if you spend all your money on housing you can’t work on your gear hoard?