The Cynic Megathread

• Thread starter welsh_7stinger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SJShinn

Reaction score
I saw them playing Focus in it's entirety on their tour with Atheist last summer. Max is an all around bad motherfucker, let's just get that straight. Seen him front DTA, and he's a killer player and frontman. But it's not the same without Reinert and Malone. They sounded good as a group, but the feel was totally different. Paul was very kind, and even though he was rushing around to get things for the VIP meet and greet, still took the time to speak and listen to me for a few minutes. Very cool as a long time fan.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a ton of respect for Paul and the two (late, unfortunately) Sean's, but was always in the Atheist camp musically.

Glad to see Paul back out there doing it, though. That video sounds like they're performing in a tin can, but the playing is tight.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Cynic still exist? Man that's sad

If you mean sad that it's carried on without the Sean's, then yes, I completely agree. I do think it was inevitable though given the state of things like this now days: ie. Pantera with only Phil, In Flames with no original members, Sepultura with no Cavalera's, Van Halen with no... Van Halen.

There is a big enough fan base out there who wants to see Cynic and you know what? I'm fine with it. Brandon, Mike, Max, and Matt are all great musicians with their own huge impact on the genre outside of Cynic so I really could not imagine a better group of people to play the material.

I do think Malone and Reinert are irreplaceable and have left a huge void to fill in the world, and perhaps Cynic shouldn't have continued without them, but the people in their stead are at least the best they could possibly get.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
If you mean sad that it's carried on without the Sean's, then yes, I completely agree. I do think it was inevitable though given the state of things like this now days: ie. Pantera with only Phil, In Flames with no original members, Sepultura with no Cavalera's, Van Halen with no... Van Halen.

There is a big enough fan base out there who wants to see Cynic and you know what? I'm fine with it. Brandon, Mike, Max, and Matt are all great musicians with their own huge impact on the genre outside of Cynic so I really could not imagine a better group of people to play the material.

I do think Malone and Reinert are irreplaceable and have left a huge void to fill in the world, and perhaps Cynic shouldn't have continued without them, but the people in their stead are at least the best they could possibly get.
Yeah look maybe it's just me, but if most of the members aren't there I don't want to see it. I'm not into any of those acts you listed and I'd rather go see a tribute band at that point anyway.

I know they toured without Sean on bass previously, but that was him wanting to teach instead of touring.

But knowing how bad it was between Paul & Sean in the end really sours it.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Every time I see the title of this thread I get a heart attack :) long time fan, going to see them over a mount or so, super looking forward to that.

It is sad that Sean and Sean are not with us anymore, they left way to early.

But I have no problem with Paul touring Cynic, he got a great band together. Hope it will to them justice.
Also maybe I am the only one but I think kinly bent to free us is also a great record, as well as the last one (that I almost did not buy because of uber low experctations)

Also Cynic plays together with Persefone, so I know it is most likely not going to happen, but I am dreaming that Paul will preform Living Waves with them :wub2:

ToRNOuTLaW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They will be in Germany close to where I live in May. I am undicided whether I want to see Cynic in this configuration. I saw them once in 2010 with Opeth and the Ocean, with Sean on drums, but without Malone. Here they will be supported by Obscura and Cryptosis, 2 bands that could be interesting to me, haven't really listened to them.
When in doubt, I probably should go, even if I have nobody to accompany me for this?

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
This is a very cynical (ha!) take but it seems like every time Paul tries to spin Cynic back up it's because he's got to pay some bills and he gets away with it because it's Cynic and his heart has been in Portal and Aeon Spoke and making Film/TV music this whole time. And a 2nd one, if you're a death metal guy who's taste was made primarily with Focus the rest of Pauls musical Ideas like the stuff after Traced in Air aren't all that interesting. 3rd: ReFocus sounds like shit, who wanted or asked for it?

RoRo56

Reaction score
Saw a little clip of them performing and it sounded great. What I thought was very weird was they had one of the guys from the touring package doing the screamed vocals and he literally read the lyrics off a sheet of paper on the stage. Looked super odd!

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Saw a little clip of them performing and it sounded great. What I thought was very weird was they had one of the guys from the touring package doing the screamed vocals and he literally read the lyrics off a sheet of paper on the stage. Looked super odd!
Yeah, Steffen from Obscura was doing the growls and he wasn't off book yet. He missed a few cues, but it seemed like he was more caught up with watching Cynic to be honest.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score

Yeah, Steffen from Obscura was doing the growls and he wasn't off book yet. He missed a few cues, but it seemed like he was more caught up with watching Cynic to be honest.

That's funny, the last and only time I saw Obscura in concert, Steffen had visa issues coming down from Canada so all the other bands front men filled in for him on vocals and had to also read off sheets, because they rightfully just didn't know every Obscura song's lyrics offhand

velvetkevorkian

The beat starts here
Reaction score
Cynic were excellent last night! Glad to have seen them and got to share a quick chat with Paul.

I was welling up during Integral. Just a beautiful and very respectful show.
I was at the Glasgow show the other night, it felt half like a beautiful tribute and half a contractual obligation.

I did enjoy it though, even though I'm not a big fan of the trend for bands touring albums from 20-30 years ago that send to be prevalent right now.

Latest posts