This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Yeah on Twitter the other day he said he acknowledges that the first single is always thrown to the wolves. This does happen for literally every band, though, haha.
Do something new - "Wtf man this sucks I want more of XYZ album wish he'd go back to his old sound"
Do something similar - "Jesus man what a one-trick pony this sounds exactly like the last one"
Do nothing at all - "Wish he would get off his lazy ass and finally release something, it's been ages, lazy-ass ass"
Do something good - "I don't get it. it doesn't leave me with the same feeling as the older songs that I've attached years worth of memories and emotions to"
Do something bad - "This band needs to LITERALLY die"

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I enjoyed it. Someone made a comparison before to The Greys, i think that's pretty accurate.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Do something new - "Wtf man this sucks I want more of XYZ album wish he'd go back to his old sound"
Do something similar - "Jesus man what a one-trick pony this sounds exactly like the last one"
Do nothing at all - "Wish he would get off his lazy ass and finally release something, it's been ages, lazy-ass ass"
Do something good - "I don't get it. it doesn't leave me with the same feeling as the older songs that I've attached years worth of memories and emotions to"
Do something bad - "This band needs to LITERALLY die"

This needs to be on a dartboard.

Sephiroth952

Ibby Fanboy
Reaction score
The more I listen to the track the more I love it. This is what Ive wanted from Devin for the past 3 albums. If the rest of the album is like this it will be his best since Addicted.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
The song didn't drag at all for me. It is beautiful. I will agree the main riff is a lot more djent than I would ever expect from Devin but that is okay by me.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Eh, TDOM was much more intimate and introspective in basically every way. I'm not feeling that here.

Nolly's production is certainly polished, but does he carry this sort of sound into everything he does? I'm curious if his style could've been adapted somewhat more closely to Devy's aesthetic (better integration with the background elements, maybe a bit more layering to fill things out). The track feels a bit empty, partly due to the mix and partly because the song itself is very stripped-down. Devin's never been a particularly technical songwriter from a structural perspective, but all the layering and background elements he's known for went a long way towards filling his songs out and adding substance.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
The track feels a bit empty

It does a little bit, but I think I like that about it. It's a counter-point to some of what he's done so far that's so jam-packed with layers and details and volume and cranking it to 11. There's room for the elements that ARE there to be expressive and subtle. IMO, some of the more recent material suffered from trying to be/do too many things at once, whereas this track is very clear in what it's trying to deliver.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I really like it. And I'm not too big of a fan of his DTP stuff, either. Really, really damn good song.

...., I probably like it BECAUSE it doesn't sound like DTP. Sounds like a callback to his old solo stuff/DTB.

wankerness

Reaction score
I really like it. And I'm not too big of a fan of his DTP stuff, either. Really, really damn good song.

...., I probably like it BECAUSE it doesn't sound like DTP. Sounds like a callback to his old solo stuff/DTB.

Yeah, it's not overdone and kooky. Pretty good song, I just dunno if it's the kind of thing I'd go back to again. I was going to buy the album regardless of what the first single sounded like anyway :hbang: It sounds better than anything on Epicloud IMO!

ppinkham

Reaction score
I like Loudwire's take:
The Devin Townsend Project Unveil ‘Failure’ From Upcoming Album ‘Transcendence’
By Graham Hartmann August 5, 2016 12:37 PM

Hevy Devy is back! The Devin Townsend Project have just revealed the fresh track “Failure” from their upcoming full-length, Transcendence.
Transcendence will be Devin Townsend’s 18th album, and that’s not even counting his work with Strapping Young Lad! The incredibly prolific musician released the heavily anticipated Ziltoid sequel, Z2, in 2014 – just months after delving into country territory with Casualties of Cool.

“Transcendence, like every record I’ve done prior, is an extension of what’s been going on in my world, represented in a new batch of songs,” says Townsend. “I’m 44 years old now, and this is where I have been over the past two years since Z2. The result of this process is a record that I truly think the intention of is special. I ‘found’ gas to put into the tank and am glad I did. I think the intention, the theme, and the participation of everyone involved allows this album to act like a fulcrum between the past few years and what I intend to do next with the symphony. I am very proud of it and everyone involved.”

“Failure” is now being eagerly devoured by Devin Townsend fans, who are hardcore by any standard. Devin’s uplifting vocals are joined by those of an operatic female singer, adding extra dimension to “Failure.”

Transcendence will be released on Sept. 2 via Townsend’s own HevyDevy label. Fans can pre-order the new album in CD and vinyl bundles, some of which even come with their own incense sticks.

:lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah, it's not overdone and kooky. Pretty good song, I just dunno if it's the kind of thing I'd go back to again. I was going to buy the album regardless of what the first single sounded like anyway :hbang: It sounds better than anything on Epicloud IMO!

I agree on most of what you said, but I think I'd go back and listen to it. It's still catchy enough for me to go back. I'm just glad they toned back on the stuff that made me dislike the DTP stuff; the kooky weirdness is one of the main things. I'm glad this is going back to that deeper sound he had in the old days.