The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

• Thread starter Steinmetzify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
First world struggle:
There are only 4 Quiznos sandwich shops in Minnesota and they're all an hour or more away. Super lame.

Possible glimmer of hope:
It appears they are trying to rebuild a presence across the US and that makes me very happy!

Great news because Subway has been pretty trash the last 5 years and Canada needs another toasty sub chain (or the same one from years ago, in this instance) to shake things up. I would love a Jersey Mike's over here.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Longboarding seems like standing luge honestly, not sure if I could give up that much control for something that a small movement is going to have a lot of effect

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Great news because Subway has been pretty trash the last 5 years and Canada needs another toasty sub chain (or the same one from years ago, in this instance) to shake things up. I would love a Jersey Mike's over here.

5 years? Easily 10 in the US, been dog shit for as long as I can recall and I never really ate there in the first place.

I don't know if we have any Jersey Mike's around here, but I'm also curious about Firehouse Subs too if they're still around. The real FWP of Boston is that there's so many fucking mom and pop sub places, big chains don't really see a market unless it's in another retail/residential combo area that's become so prevalent. And you know those ones are operating on volume and not quality, so it's a question of how good are they compared to the standalone ones that need to rely on good food.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Longboarding seems like standing luge honestly, not sure if I could give up that much control for something that a small movement is going to have a lot of effect
Generally downhill boards will run low-angle trucks with an even lower (sometimes 0) angle in the back. This gives you a ton of lean for not a lot of turn, and the board tracks the front like a car rather then an arc like a skateboard. It really is a whole different kind of skating compared to anything else.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
5 years? Easily 10 in the US, been dog shit for as long as I can recall and I never really ate there in the first place.

I don't know if we have any Jersey Mike's around here, but I'm also curious about Firehouse Subs too if they're still around. The real FWP of Boston is that there's so many fucking mom and pop sub places, big chains don't really see a market unless it's in another retail/residential combo area that's become so prevalent. And you know those ones are operating on volume and not quality, so it's a question of how good are they compared to the standalone ones that need to rely on good food.
Agreed on subway. There are times I'll eat it and it's okay but I did go many years without it when Quizno's was around more.

To your second point, I WISH it was like that anywhere around me! I'm out in the sticks though, so a mom and pop sandwich joint isn't likely to appear any time soon.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
To your second point, I WISH it was like that anywhere around me! I'm out in the sticks though, so a mom and pop sandwich joint isn't likely to appear any time soon.

Pretty much what I was gonna write. Over here Subway basically has a monopoly on subs, and I'd much rather pay a bit more for fresh stuff that doesn't feel like you bought it out of a vending machine. Which is why I haven't eaten at Subway in like... 5 years maybe? It's also usually more expensive than getting a burger or pizza etc.

My actual FWP this time: daughter's sick yet again. I work remote, so that means I just sit with my laptop in the living room so I can watch over her while I work. Sounds good in theory, but when it's something like week 8 this year I'm doing it, I'm starting to have had enough and my work is starting to lag so badly behind, I might have to start waking up in the middle of the night to work so I get everything done before the rest of the family wakes up.

Last edited:

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Thing I disliked about subway last time I went there maybe seven years ago... It just seemed like a breeding ground for germs/ bacteria... at least at the ones close to me. I got a strong sense that employees and management weren't following any degree of food safety/ hygiene protocol. The place was always a mess. Around the bins as well as around the prep/ sink area, cross contamination and expiring meats and toppings seemed like prevalent issues.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
Working on my parents riding mower for the billionth time.

Mower had faulty design that was specific to the one year they got (of course). Timed deck, which means the blades overlap. The deck lift has an adjustment on only one side. If the deck gets banged on anything or if it goes through especially thick/wet grass, its easy for the adjustment block to hop off the pin which causes the deck to fall pretty much completely to the ground.

Mind you, this is happening as a result of the hitting something or a tough cut, so the deck dropping DOWN at that moment is often catastrophic.

What happens almost every time is the deck drops, the blades hit something theyre not supposed at full depth and fully speed, the belt skips time and the blades begin smashing eachother. You're usually in for a new pair of blades, a new belt (or two), sometimes a new deck lift adjust, and sometimes one or BOTH spindles. Its a $200-ish fix when i do it, it'd be 3x that if it went to the shop every time plus the wait time.

It would actually be an alright mower for most people but the curbs at their house are all enormous, so you're bound to bump a curb at least once every session. Then you gotta stop the machine, get down underneath and reattach the deck lift or chance tragedy.
Don't get me started on "modern" (anything past 2000) mower design. The stupid bastards at these companies that have been making mowers since the beginning of time always have some new whiz-bang idea on how to "make things better" that they don't bother testing until it's out in consumer's hands. My last gas mower, a push mower, was a Craftsman with a Brigs & Stratton. The engine was cool, the whole rest of the design outside of the straight-shaft blade mount was complete trash. It had "self propelled" written all over it, but if you dared press that belt-drive even once it'd pop the best off and start smoking the damn thing. The first one I thought there was a misalignment. I took it back for a replacement. Same exact thing. It was the design. Once I got frustrated enough to bust out the toolkit and start measuring things, it literally lined up the drive spindle on such an angle that there was no way that stiff belt was *EVER* going to line up properly. You'd have to cut the shaft with a blowtorch, add about three inches to it, which would make it stick up above the deck like a flag, then remount the belt without some of the guide pulleys they put on it. Which was more work than I was willing to do for a silly push mower with "self propelled" written all over it.

Can't even begin to tell you how happy I was to trash that bastard and get an all electric with direct drive.

How is having more mom & pop than shit Subway a problem? I'd love that. Around here there's two local places woven in among the Jimmy John's, Subway, Firehouse, Jersey Mike's and the few franchised convenience store places that make sandwiches (Casey's chief among them).

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Agreed on subway. There are times I'll eat it and it's okay but I did go many years without it when Quizno's was around more.

Erbert and Gerbert's has pretty good subs. Expensive though.

idk I'm at a point where I'd rather make my own sub anymore. I can make a way better sub than any of these fucking chains lol
Back in the day of 5$ footlongs and cheap subs I feel like they were a go-to option. Now it's damn near impossible to walk out of a subway or sub place for under 10$ for a middling sandwich.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Erbert and Gerbert's has pretty good subs. Expensive though.

idk I'm at a point where I'd rather make my own sub anymore. I can make a way better sub than any of these fucking chains lol
Back in the day of 5$ footlongs and cheap subs I feel like they were a go-to option. Now it's damn near impossible to walk out of a subway or sub place for under 10$ for a middling sandwich.
Feels like you pay more than that to make one at home tho. Cold cuts are expensive as hell and fuck waiting in line at the deli.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Feels like you pay more than that to make one at home tho. Cold cuts are expensive as hell and fuck waiting in line at the deli.
Depends on what exactly you're putting in it. I usually buy deli meat like salami/pepperoni and cheese in bulk from sam's club so it's not really expensive comparatively. The bread is the most expensive part for me if I don't make it myself.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
How is having more mom & pop than shit Subway a problem? I'd love that. Around here there's two local places woven in among the Jimmy John's, Subway, Firehouse, Jersey Mike's and the few franchised convenience store places that make sandwiches (Casey's chief among them).

It's not just Subway, it's EVERY type of chain; sub shops? Mom & pops. Pizza places? Mom & pops? Seafood? Mom & Pops! I like a small chain or a one off like anyone would/should, but sometimes you just need a chain with that automatic line of quality assumption and you don't have to think about what you're going to get when you leave.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed that all fast food has gotten stupid expensive, and the "fast" part is questionable at best. Why would I pay C$15 for a meal at McDonald's and have to wait in the drive thru anyway, when I can get an incredible shawarma from a mom and pop for like C$10? If I want burgers that bad I'll buy frozen patties and buns and grill them myself, but there's always a better local spot to get the food in my city. Plus every ff joint has their own fucking app to get any of the coupons, so that whole thing can fuck off.

Last edited:

nightflameauto

Reaction score
McDonald's needs to eat a whole bag of whatever genitals they least like eating. Used to be able to get a meal for me and the wife there, since it's one of her go-tos, for about $15. Now it's closer to mid thirties. At which point? Literally any sit-down restaurant in town is comparable, even now, outside of the dress-up, we wish we were serving royalty places. And, as said, it ain't fast anymore. They added second drive-up lines, then make everybody pull around into a spot so that they can mix-up the orders as they bring them out.

I will say it can get entertaining. One day there was like fifteen, maybe up to twenty cars out there. And the people bringing out food were literally just holding it up, screaming out the order, then asking who had it. Truly funny, if the wife was simmering next to me about idiots and disorganization.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@KnightBrolaire agreed that Erb's and Gerb's is good and yes a little more expensive. For me it's a toss up between them and Jersey Mike's.

I don't really make that kind of food at home because my wife cooks other things or I'll cook/grill. Something about making subs at home isn't as "fun" for me lol

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I will say it can get entertaining. One day there was like fifteen, maybe up to twenty cars out there. And the people bringing out food were literally just holding it up, screaming out the order, then asking who had it. Truly funny, if the wife was simmering next to me about idiots and disorganization.
A couple years back my city got our first Chik Fil A (not sure when they entered the Canadian market) and they must've known that the average person is so smooth brained as to wait in a fucking drive thru for 30+ minutes for a fried chicken sandwich, because their drive through is 2 long as fuck lanes. The hype died down a bit, but for easily over a year I saw that drive thru packed with 30+ cars at basically any given time of day.

nightflameauto

Reaction score
A couple years back my city got our first Chik Fil A (not sure when they entered the Canadian market) and they must've known that the average person is so smooth brained as to wait in a fucking drive thru for 30+ minutes for a fried chicken sandwich, because their drive through is 2 long as fuck lanes. The hype died down a bit, but for easily over a year I saw that drive thru packed with 30+ cars at basically any given time of day.
Same experience here. Only the drive thru lines, two of them, are paraded through by nerds with iPads sending orders into the front so that by the time the car gets to the actual order taking stand, the order is pretty much ready, but it still takes them another few minutes to filter through. I get quite a kick out of sitting at any one of the other restaurants around there and timing a car from back of line to actually leaving. Some of them are up to forty minutes or more. For chicken. And there's only about two dozen other chicken joints in town.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
There's a lot of shit mom and pop food, let's be real here.
I mean, yeah, it depends on the city but I'm not gonna go to Bill's Gruel Hut. I'm pretty sure I have a local spot or 2 per food base that can cover that type of cuisine better than a fast food joint.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
@KnightBrolaire agreed that Erb's and Gerb's is good and yes a little more expensive. For me it's a toss up between them and Jersey Mike's.

I don't really make that kind of food at home because my wife cooks other things or I'll cook/grill. Something about making subs at home isn't as "fun" for me lol
I just make them for work. A nice sandwich breaks up the horrors of healthcare work lol
Same experience here. Only the drive thru lines, two of them, are paraded through by nerds with iPads sending orders into the front so that by the time the car gets to the actual order taking stand, the order is pretty much ready, but it still takes them another few minutes to filter through. I get quite a kick out of sitting at any one of the other restaurants around there and timing a car from back of line to actually leaving. Some of them are up to forty minutes or more. For chicken. And there's only about two dozen other chicken joints in town.
As much as I detest chains, at least Chikfila and Raising Canes are extremely consistent quality wise ime. I can't say the same for most other chains or local restaurants.

Latest posts