The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

• Thread starter Steinmetzify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Got the text to renew my lease, which is y'know, up in like a month, and it's another $125 a month if I renew which is still below market for what I've got (1BR right outside Boston with a parking spot), just would've been nice with a little more notice; not even that I can't afford it, this is my primary bill per month now that my loans were eliminated, just like, c'mon man.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
just like, c'mon man.
I got a similar call from my landlord a while back, and while I appreciate the notice, I got this whole song and dance about how much extra work they're putting in and all the renovations they're doing to justify a 7% increase in my rent - all the while, I've got the same run down unit I moved into, no renovations, very little that I ask for gets done, etc. None of the extra "justification" applies to me at all. I don't want to complain that my rent is still reasonably low, but at the same time, don't spit on me and tell me its raining. This is coming from a landlord that owns something like a third of the rental units in the city, I think? They're no one-off land-owner trying to pay a mortgage, they're a big ol' real estate company that has owned this place outright for years and doesn't give two craps about old tenants like me.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I got a similar call from my landlord a while back, and while I appreciate the notice, I got this whole song and dance about how much extra work they're putting in and all the renovations they're doing to justify a 7% increase in my rent - all the while, I've got the same run down unit I moved into, no renovations, very little that I ask for gets done, etc. None of the extra "justification" applies to me at all. I don't want to complain that my rent is still reasonably low, but at the same time, don't spit on me and tell me its raining. This is coming from a landlord that owns something like a third of the rental units in the city, I think? They're no one-off land-owner trying to pay a mortgage, they're a big ol' real estate company that has owned this place outright for years and doesn't give two craps about old tenants like me.
Isn't rent increase capped in QC like it is in Ontario? Over here landlords can only increase rent by 3%/year. 7 seems pretty damn high.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Isn't rent increase capped in QC like it is in Ontario?
Supposedly, they negotiated it with the TAL/regie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ In either case, it's like anything else with rentals in Quebec, where you mostly don't have any recourse if the rules are broken because you'd have to take it to the tribunal, and 99.9% of people don't have the time or money to pursue it. Stuff like how you're not technically allowed to "extract any payment that is not the rent" according to the TAL and Quebec charter, but they do it all the time.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
2BR. Month by month is $3,350.
Is this at least a very high cost of living area or something? For comparison, I pay $900/mo + electricity for a 2BR.

By at least, I mean, is this an area that warrants that kind of price?

Edit:
Worth keeping in mind this is Canuck Bucks, so really, it's the equivalent of more like $1500 or something, and I assume our taxes are higher, and I got this rate by not moving for 10+ years, but still.

Last edited:

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Off topic but I'm getting GAS for the first time in... I dunno... 7 years? Technically not true since I've been GASing for the cheap Squier Paranormal Cabronita, but that thing is pretty goddamn cheap all things considered. My new GAS is an EBMM Stingray Bass because I want Jeff Caxide's bass tone.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
On topic: I can't believe places can charge you any amount, let alone fucking $1200, to go month-to-month after the lease is up. I'm hesitant to say that I'm a landlord, too, but I'm not a fucking monster. I don't even do the allowed annual rent increase on tenants because I'd rather be on good terms with them than get like $50/month extra.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
My God, I've reached the 'i' section of my musical library and I have BY FAR the most albums from In Flames out of any other artist; given that they used to release one every two years like clockwork, starting in '94, it's not terribly surprising, but god DAMN is it a lot to go through one after the other. The first two I removed from my library, nothing on Lunar Strain is worth it after track three honestly, and Subterranean had maybe twice as many that were fine to listen to, but just go right to Jester Race and be done with it.

I just wrapped up Come Clarity which came out in 2006, and still have A Sense of Purpose/Sounds of a Playground Fading to get through even though they're still bangers, and they have to wait until tomorrow (which makes day THREE of working thru them), as I just need something else at this point

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
Is this at least a very high cost of living area or something? For comparison, I pay $900/mo + electricity for a 2BR.

By at least, I mean, is this an area that warrants that kind of price?

Edit:
Worth keeping in mind this is Canuck Bucks, so really, it's the equivalent of more like $1500 or something, and I assume our taxes are higher, and I got this rate by not moving for 10+ years, but still.

Urban wonderland that is Reno, Nevada. All the decent apartment buildings are owned by the same company (FPI Management) and they have the monopoly on places where you won’t get stabbed.

Moongrum

Reaction score
We got a new grad on our team to help out, she is working from the Brazil office. My manager is useless and answers her questions with no context at all or the why, so it's not really helpful and doesn't help her in getting up to speed and becoming someone who can work independently. I always try to give detailed responses and will record screen capture videos of how to do certain things, since our hours aren't synched.
All this to say, I feel vindicated because I think my manager is total ass and useless, so it's nice to see her get the same treatment I got/still get lmao.

Anyways, I hope to god she's my replacement and I get laid off soon. Work is wack.