The First World Problem Thread...Voice Your Struggle

• Thread starter Steinmetzify
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Welp, shoulda watched the video earlier, or maybe I misremembered the bit, but I thought he brings up white people daring to go out on a boat in the middle of summer with no sunscreen, like they're gonna be able to take on the sun. The last little bit of the video is close to my point, though.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
"Sunscreen is for pussies" said Kaura this morning when he went cycling for 4 hours in 80 degree weather. And now he's paying for it. :ugh:

I was out at the paintball field today, only played a few pts between 11 and 130ish before helping out "reffing" some 1v1s on the field; brought the wrong beanie and it sucked, so I ditched it, and now my head is pink. I wore my boonie the whole time reffing, so it's legit just from those 2.5 hrs.

Lesson learned for the future

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I just soak the kids in sunscreen and then go all "sunscreen is for pussies" myself :lol: I guess I just haven't been in the sun too long yet to burn myself this summer, but usually I burn my nose and scalp (where my hair splits in the middle) every year.

Edika

Reaction score
My FWP today is that I'm so so effin' tired! I haven't been sleeping that well as I have the problem that if I wake up in the morning I can't get back to sleep. As I'm getting older it seems I need to absolutely use the bathroom around 6:00 am or I'm going to burst, and then I can't go back to sleep easily. I managed to sleep in a bit though on Saturday and then had to rush off with the kids for swimming lessons then get my daughter to gymnastics, afterwards. The misses was going to go to a store where you buy organic stuff and bring your own containers to avoid creating more garbage but that somehow costs about 2 times as the things at the Super Market. But we get the "satisfaction" that we're "helping the envorinment". The kids where begging me to make pizza so I started making a dough after I took my duaghter to gymnastics only to get a call from my wife that she missed the bus. Public transport in our city is shit and it's even worse going to that store as it's in a small village a few miles out of our city so I had to drop everything to drive her there and take the stuff back after the shopping finished, as she stayed for an event that was going on at the shop and was the main reason she wanted to go. Then I had to pick up my daughter, get back, finish with the pizza dough and take my son to a dance performance that he was participating (my daughter was going to participate too, but decided the day before she didn't want to do it), where my wife came to meet us. After waiting for about 1 hour and 30 mins for them to get on stage, we came back home and we had one of my daughter's classmates come for a sleep over, while i finished the pizza. I managed to get some time to rest around 8 pm and the kids stayed awake (and us) until midnight.

Then of course at Sunday morning they woke up at 7:30 am and turned on screens to watch crappy youtube videos, and as I'm the one that wakes up and can't go back to sleep, I had to go down and police them. My kids started begging me for crepes and because I was in a fould mood before and was a bit snappy I felt bad and made a batch. But it took time, as I made too much batter. Then they wanted me to play with them, otherwise they'd be back on screens and I didn't want that, then I had to make lunch, and by the time I had food prepared another friend of my daughters popped by and joined us for lunch then they wanted to go to the park and I took the 3 girls there, while my son stayed at home (luckily), stayed there for an hour, and of course, even though they're 9-10 years old, they wanted me to play with them. We came back after an hour, took her classmate home, and luckily she didn't want to play with her other friend anymore. But having her friend over, not having slept much and being overstimulated she started being over emotional and having meltdowns but was surprisingly reasonable (she's usually not when she gets overstimulated and emotional). Today is a bank holiday but we don't get it at work, so I managed to sleep 12:30 yesterday and woke up at 7 today. Took me half an hour to get of bed, I'm at work, my head hurts and I think I'm coming down with something. I just want to go home and sleep but I have a feeling I won't be able to when I get home.

Sorry for the long whiny post, I just had to get these things of my chest.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score

That's a lot man. Though tbh that sounds a lot like my weekends tend to be - I'm basically always with the kids as my wife has all kinds of random events to attend to (mostly work and education related but sometimes also just recreation) and when she's not, she seems to always sleep. She's got a lot of stuff to finish up, so I'm hoping my life will get easier in the autumn when all of it should be done. Also the kids won't need this much maintenance forever.

So yeah, can absolutely relate and all I can say is hang in there!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
My FWP today is that I'm so so effin' tired! I haven't been sleeping that well as I have the problem that if I wake up in the morning I can't get back to sleep. As I'm getting older it seems I need to absolutely use the bathroom around 6:00 am or I'm going to burst, and then I can't go back to sleep easily. I managed to sleep in a bit though on Saturday and then had to rush off with the kids for swimming lessons then get my daughter to gymnastics, afterwards. The misses was going to go to a store where you buy organic stuff and bring your own containers to avoid creating more garbage but that somehow costs about 2 times as the things at the Super Market. But we get the "satisfaction" that we're "helping the envorinment". The kids where begging me to make pizza so I started making a dough after I took my duaghter to gymnastics only to get a call from my wife that she missed the bus. Public transport in our city is shit and it's even worse going to that store as it's in a small village a few miles out of our city so I had to drop everything to drive her there and take the stuff back after the shopping finished, as she stayed for an event that was going on at the shop and was the main reason she wanted to go. Then I had to pick up my daughter, get back, finish with the pizza dough and take my son to a dance performance that he was participating (my daughter was going to participate too, but decided the day before she didn't want to do it), where my wife came to meet us. After waiting for about 1 hour and 30 mins for them to get on stage, we came back home and we had one of my daughter's classmates come for a sleep over, while i finished the pizza. I managed to get some time to rest around 8 pm and the kids stayed awake (and us) until midnight.

Then of course at Sunday morning they woke up at 7:30 am and turned on screens to watch crappy youtube videos, and as I'm the one that wakes up and can't go back to sleep, I had to go down and police them. My kids started begging me for crepes and because I was in a fould mood before and was a bit snappy I felt bad and made a batch. But it took time, as I made too much batter. Then they wanted me to play with them, otherwise they'd be back on screens and I didn't want that, then I had to make lunch, and by the time I had food prepared another friend of my daughters popped by and joined us for lunch then they wanted to go to the park and I took the 3 girls there, while my son stayed at home (luckily), stayed there for an hour, and of course, even though they're 9-10 years old, they wanted me to play with them. We came back after an hour, took her classmate home, and luckily she didn't want to play with her other friend anymore. But having her friend over, not having slept much and being overstimulated she started being over emotional and having meltdowns but was surprisingly reasonable (she's usually not when she gets overstimulated and emotional). Today is a bank holiday but we don't get it at work, so I managed to sleep 12:30 yesterday and woke up at 7 today. Took me half an hour to get of bed, I'm at work, my head hurts and I think I'm coming down with something. I just want to go home and sleep but I have a feeling I won't be able to when I get home.

Fucking hell, this made me exhausted just reading it. Props to all the parents out there who have to do all this.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I just soak the kids in sunscreen and then go all "sunscreen is for pussies" myself :lol: I guess I just haven't been in the sun too long yet to burn myself this summer, but usually I burn my nose and scalp (where my hair splits in the middle) every year.

As someone who wasn't really aware that sunscreen was a thing until I had kids, why is sunscreen for pussies? Some people get burned when they're out in the sun for too long.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Toxic masculinity. Same reason earplugs are for pussies, safety glasses are for pussies, etc.

*stares in hearing loss and tinnitus because I've had to fire a rifle in a semi enclosed space before*

So, for real, my kids wear it because they get sunburned, I don't know that I ever have, or the last time I've ever been sunburned. Should I be?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you want skin cancer?
I was gonna say, no legitimate medical opinion to offer here but my understanding is that you don't need to burn to still have an increased chance of skin cancer.

Good friend of mine is fair skinned, loves being out in the sun and he got skin cancer in his early 30s. Specifically areas of the the body that directly face the sky; base of neck and his shoulders.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I was gonna say, no legitimate medical opinion to offer here but my understanding is that you don't need to burn to still have an increased chance of skin cancer.

Good friend of mine is fair skinned, loves being out in the sun and he got skin cancer in his early 30s. Specifically areas of the the body that directly face the sky; base of neck and his shoulders.
Regular exposure to UV is all it takes to get skin cancer. Everybody should be wearing sunscreen/uv protection regardless of if they burn or not.

Latest posts