The Fishman Fluence Thread

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I spent a couple hours with the Abasi set last night, here are some points of note:

Abasi set may be the most versatile Fishman set thus far. V1 Bridge is tight, bright, and aggressive but it isn't overly compressed like the Modern set. V2 Bridge is mid heaven, very warm and clear, even sounds great clean. V3 (Single Coil) sounds like a single coil, very bright and "chimey". Unfortunately the single coil is pretty noisy if you use it with any sort of higher gain application. That is the biggest drawback. It is useable clean, especially in the Middle and Neck positions. V1/V2 on the Neck is similar to the bridge. Good for cleans, fluid for leads. You can even switch the North/South Coils to get various blends and tones on the Neck/Middle position.

My favorite part of the set though is if you have multiple toggle switches, you can route the North Coil and South Coil to them giving you "blends" in different positions (Middle and Neck mostly - Bridge is either "on" or "off"). So even if the single coil isn't useable with high gain amps, I can switch one of the coils (I'm not sure which due to my setup) that gives the Bridge V2 more of a tele-like twang. It isn't a true single coil, but for me I think this is one of the biggest selling points of the set. It's the halfway point between a single coil and humbucker, all the features you'd likely want from both without any of the drawbacks (noise, shrill highs, etc.).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For anyone who's curious, here's a test a did between the Fluence Modern and the Abasi Set. Track is a demo I worked on.

https://soundcloud.com/vincent_vibrato/2027-pickup-test/s-5EznXdoIh07

Settings are not identical, but they're similar. The preset is a PRS Archon (Bright) with two ML Sound Lab Engl Cabs. The second preset is also a PRS Archon with 4 Volt Cabs by ML Sound Lab. Both tracks are double tracked (panned Hard L/R). Modern (V2) set goes first, and Abasi Set (V1) goes second in every instance. First clean, then dirty, then dirty with bass/drums and so forth.

Note: This isn't an identical comparison since different cabs were used, but still you can hear the difference in the mids and output from the Abasi set.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
For anyone who's curious, here's a test a did between the Fluence Modern and the Abasi Set. Track is a demo I worked on.

https://soundcloud.com/vincent_vibrato/2027-pickup-test/s-5EznXdoIh07

Settings are not identical, but they're similar. The preset is a PRS Archon (Bright) with two ML Sound Lab Engl Cabs. The second preset is also a PRS Archon with 4 Volt Cabs by ML Sound Lab. Both tracks are double tracked (panned Hard L/R). Modern (V2) set goes first, and Abasi Set (V1) goes second in every instance. First clean, then dirty, then dirty with bass/drums and so forth.

Note: This isn't an identical comparison since different cabs were used, but still you can hear the difference in the mids and output from the Abasi set.
Funny enough I actually prefer the moderns in this comparison and with your tone.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Funny enough I actually prefer the moderns in this comparison and with your tone.

I figured some would. In hindsight I should've tested using the exact same settings and IR's, V1 vs V1 and V2 vs V2 etc. Maybe at some point I'll try to figure out which IR I used for the Modern Set to make it a closer comparison. There's also a noticeable feel difference between the two, with the Abasi set being more direct, warm, and versatile while the Modern set is just direct and cold. Ultimately it's best to find the right feel for you in a pickup, as many tonal qualities can be compensated for with the right amp/cab/eq (especially if you have an Axe Fx).

Blink182Bouncer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also a Matt Heafy signature set is coming next year according to a recent livestream. I couldn't find any info about the vocings though.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
I was pretty meh about the moderns and classics when I tried them in my agile baritone, but man the moderns sound great in my Balsac E1. Even the very prominent midrange on v1 doesn't annoy me the way it did in the agile. I actually like it a lot for thrash and hair metal stuff.
oh god i hope there's a hp90 version at some point. That'd be sick

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
multi-voice p90s. yes please.

also a tele set that isn't part of the sig? because I don't need to be paying 100 dollars for a control plate i can't use.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi everybody I'm new to this forum, but I'll join in on this conversation. I'm using a modern set in a EC1000 and I pretty much like it. But I have two more guitars which are awaiting a set of fishmans. Still on the fence about which one I should get. As of now probably the Abasi set, but I was wondering in a seven string with a basswood body with a low mid spike, isn't there a possibility of everything getting a little flubby down under? Just wondering.

juka

Reaction score
Also a Matt Heafy signature set is coming next year according to a recent livestream. I couldn't find any info about the vocings though.
From what I understood from watching the livestream it should just be cosmetics: ordinary set of Moderns with a golden stripe.

Really don't understand what keeps them from finally adding voice 3 to the Moderns. If you think about how many "Singlecoil" voices based on the modern design they already have in their drawer (Townsend, Abasi, Adler) they could actually offer a 4th voice (or SC V1+2) when they finally redesign the Moderns.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
From what I understood from watching the livestream it should just be cosmetics: ordinary set of Moderns with a golden stripe.

Really don't understand what keeps them from finally adding voice 3 to the Moderns. If you think about how many "Singlecoil" voices based on the modern design they already have in their drawer (Townsend, Abasi, Adler) they could actually offer a 4th voice (or SC V1+2) when they finally redesign the Moderns.

the Abasi neck isn't a modern though.

but ya, there's no reason why they can't add another preamp. they did it for the classics. all new classic revisions have the single coil pre.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score

The 6 string version of the moderns have the single coil option. Sadly the 7 and 8 strings do not, which I never understood their logic with that one.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1st real demo & comparison between Reyes & Abasi models.

Decent video. I got with Fishman about the Reyes set as I am considering them for my 6 string. They said the Reyes set is based off of the Fishman Classics and voicings adjusted to Javier's preferences.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
I have them in my Aristedes 007 and I do not like them distorted tbh. For cleans, specially the jazz box voice 2 on neck, they are amazing imho. When distorted, I feel they are dull/lifeless, and I think you could hear this in the video. To my ears, they feel like you put a blanket on the Abasi set. Also, the single coil voice on the Reyes is just one of the hum voicings but with 1/2 gain or so vs a completely convincing tele single voice on the Abasi. The last one is no biggy, but it translates in my head to less versatility when compared w/ the Abasi set. My 2 cents.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For me I find the more I listen to fishman stuff I only really like the classics, merrow and adler. All the others are eh for me.

juka

Reaction score
For me I find the more I listen to fishman stuff I only really like the classics, merrow and adler. All the others are eh for me.

+1 on Classics and Merrows
although I still didn't have a chance to check out the Abasis

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
+1 on Classics and Merrows
although I still didn't have a chance to check out the Abasis
The Javier Reyes set also seems promising. But the Classics and the Merrow set would be the direction I would go when the time comes. Learning more towards the Keith Merrow set as they seem to sound great regardless of standard tuning are really low tunings. And I can't say that for any other fishman set.