The Fishman Fluence Thread

goherpsNderp

no refutin' rasputen
Reaction score
you can do this.

voice switching can be wired tighter and to one switch. tapping can be wired to the other switch.

Awesome! Thanks for the response. I'll talk to him about it in spring when I'm less busy. Hopefully he's worked with them before but if not I'll just send him the PDF's and wish him luck lol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
whats weird is the brand new album was recorded with peavey XXX's like they used on Ascendancy - and yet the tones still dont sound as good as the old albums imo.
Yeah i saw that video too..
Probably the most ludicrous claim about pickups i've ever heard
I get that you try to be involved with a brand as much as you can and try do advocate them in a positive way but those kind of claims really screw up the industry which is already overfed.
I use the moderns and devins, they are great and i wanted them because with only a pull of a pot I'm able to change the vibe of my playing.
But they did no reinvent the wheel here

EDIT: I replied to the wrong comment but i think the Heafy claim comment was feom you as well

lewis

Reaction score
Yeah i saw that video too..
Probably the most ludicrous claim about pickups i've ever heard
I get that you try to be involved with a brand as much as you can and try do advocate them in a positive way but those kind of claims really screw up the industry which is already overfed.
I use the moderns and devins, they are great and i wanted them because with only a pull of a pot I'm able to change the vibe of my playing.
But they did no reinvent the wheel here

EDIT: I replied to the wrong comment but i think the Heafy claim comment was feom you as well
Yeah it was me :) haha

well said. Bang on!

And whats abit weird, is when I have directly A/Bd my EMG and then fishman guitars, the EMG notes feel like they pop quicker than the Fishmans because of the compression. Notes with EMGs somehow feel livelier or more energetic?
Im not saying they physically are quicker because I believe Heafy's talk either way is dumb and not true.
But for me, EMGs certainly give the illusion of tracking quicker compared to Fishmans so Matts talk seemed even more stupid to me.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah it was me :) haha

well said. Bang on!

And whats abit weird, is when I have directly A/Bd my EMG and then fishman guitars, the EMG notes feel like they pop quicker than the Fishmans because of the compression. Notes with EMGs somehow feel livelier or more energetic?
Im not saying they physically are quicker because I believe Heafy's talk either way is dumb and not true.
But for me, EMGs certainly give the illusion of tracking quicker compared to Fishmans so Matts talk seemed even more stupid to me.

That's a hard take. In my opinion the fishmans just give me the variety of a few more tonal options and that's it really. I don't think they are better than EMG nor vice versa. But on the other hand, I've caught myself tweaking my tone a little bit more since the moderns especially have a fairly aggressive high mid range bite. That bugs me a little. EMG has the big advantage of having an almost flat EQ curve. Atleast in my expirience. They are pretty easy to work with in live AND studio situations. With that said, it depends on personal preference honestly.
But going all Matt Heafy about it really bugs me.

Bender.folder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
. Big trivium fan but the tone is indeed dry and harsh plus he boosts with those tc electronic preamp pedals that seem to accentuate this dry hi-fi sound.
As for fishmans i have yet to be impressed.
Moderns 7 string did me nothing. Especially the neck that was dull. But some 6 strings set like abasis and devins demos picked interest.
Also next time i take the battery pack cause the 7 string ones emptied 9v batteries like crazy

Romain Jeuniaux

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Considering installing some Fishmans into my upcoming Aristides 7 string order.

I'm playing mostly progressive metal, not unlike Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Gojira and Ihsahn. I'm looking for something very dynamic and responsive, that can obviously handle high gain shit, but with great clean and single-coil sounds. I'm thinking about the Abasis, but am afraid they would sound too "djenty". The Keith Merrows seem interesting as well, but I'm not sure about their clean and lower gain sounds, plus I've heard they're super bright (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd like to know).

Could anyone give me their two cents on this? :cheers: Thank you so much!!

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Considering installing some Fishmans into my upcoming Aristides 7 string order.

I'm playing mostly progressive metal, not unlike Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Gojira and Ihsahn. I'm looking for something very dynamic and responsive, that can obviously handle high gain shit, but with great clean and single-coil sounds. I'm thinking about the Abasis, but am afraid they would sound too "djenty". The Keith Merrows seem interesting as well, but I'm not sure about their clean and lower gain sounds, plus I've heard they're super bright (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd like to know).

Just throwing it out there, I'd maybe take a look at the Devin Townsend set. Has great cleans, on the warmer side, and I believe it's an alnico magnet too. The Abasi set is definitely low mid focused, in other words.... djenty.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

The Merrow set is really not that bright. The Abasi set sound brighter honestly. Both sound great under high gain. The abasi set I would say would be better for cleans as Tosin tried to design the pick ups from a clean tone first instead of high gain. You definitely cannot go wrong with either one of the sets. If you do want more low end in your tone and still good cleans the Javier Reyes set was just released as well.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
From a few pages back, check it out:

I have the 3 sets, the Abasi is the definitely brightest & loudest. KM, JR, TA all have great cleans, the differences between them are very particular imho. The KM is about low-mids (bridge V1), while bridge V2 is more EVH brown sound, the KM neck is same as the Classics, really nice (V1 PAF, V2 more like a modern neck pickup sound, like SD 59/Jazz iirc).

TA set is very versatile, Tosin has a few videos (demo + clinics) showing them off & comparing against other pickups he used. It has an awesome uncanny 3rd single coil voicing.

JR is my most recent acquisition, ymmv on this one, it has great cleans, but I'm finding a bit challenging to make the sounds I want. It has more bass/low mids, healthy supply :D, not a whole lot versatile overall, specially when it comes to the single coil voicing. V2 on the neck is awesome though, it's a warm, woody, Jazz box voicing.

hztirf

Reaction score
Hi, I'm swapping my pickups on my Ibanez RGA8 (8 string) with the Abasi set. As this will be my first tryout of a Fluence set and I'd like to get an initial value for later fine-tuning: What's the typical distance from pickup to strings? Is it similar to passive pickups?

Flappydoodle

Reaction score

I definitely would NOT go for Fishmans in this case.

You cited three bands which all use passive pickups. Gojira especially - his signature pickup is a low output, vintage PAF-style alnico. Mikael uses PRS pickups, to the best of my knowledge. And Dusty uses those Mojotone passive pickups - again, with alnico magnets.

I have the modern set in my Aristides, and it sounds and feel like an active pickup guitar, even on the "passive" voicing. I've owned 4 different Fishman sets at this point, and they all share some sort of character, despite their differences. I honestly can't see the sense in you buying high output active pickups if you want passive sounds.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score

You cited three bands which all use passive pickups. Gojira especially - his signature pickup is a low output, vintage PAF-style alnico. Mikael uses PRS pickups, to the best of my knowledge. And Dusty uses those Mojotone passive pickups - again, with alnico magnets.

I have the modern set in my Aristides, and it sounds and feel like an active pickup guitar, even on the "passive" voicing. I've owned 4 different Fishman sets at this point, and they all share some sort of character, despite their differences. I honestly can't see the sense in you buying high output active pickups if you want passive sounds.

Strobe

Reaction score

I would say the classics, Keith Merrow, and Will Adler sets do not have the active feel in their voicings (except V2 Adler). Bright and not overly mid forward is what he is going to want if he wants to avoid being too "djenty"

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I would say the classics, Keith Merrow, and Will Adler sets do not have the active feel in their voicings (except V2 Adler). Bright and not overly mid forward is what he is going to want if he wants to avoid being too "djenty"

I haven't played the KM or WA sets. But the classics? They sound and feel nothing like vintage PAF-style pickups.

Strobe

Reaction score
I haven't played the KM or WA sets. But the classics? They sound and feel nothing like vintage PAF-style pickups.

Agree to disagree on this one. They definitely do not feel active to me. They do feel PAF-ish in V1 to me. I also own PAF style pickups. YMMV

juka

Reaction score
Who else saw McRocklin unveiling his upcoming Fluence Signature set on his recent live twitch?
"Classic humbuckers with the most modern split sounds"
Sounded very promising. Looking very much forward to more info being released.

The single coils sounded a lot brighter and chimier than everything I heard from him using the Abasis.
The PUPs will be based on the Open Core Classics for sure, but he didn't say for which humbucker voicing he went for V1 and 2. But so far his favorite humbucker voicings seem to have been V2 on Abasis and Classics each.
As I still didn't have a change to test the Abasis I don't know how much those two voicings differ from each other.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Stupid question:

In a vague sense I would be able to switch between the Fishman pickups like the EMG solderless style right?
The pins are somewhat the same right?
Or am I absolutely wrong here?

lewis

Reaction score
Stupid question:

In a vague sense I would be able to switch between the Fishman pickups like the EMG solderless style right?
Completely correct.
Its how ive used my Fishmans.
And EMG sell solderless push/pull pots separately too so you can even get the voice changing going like you would normally.

elkoki

Reaction score
Stupid question:

Most EMG's only have 1 quick connect cable, Fishmans have 2 cables per pickup . So if you're using Fishman Fluence with EMG quick connect pots you may have to do some figuring out as to which wires go where , it sounds doable, just can't say for sure since i've never done that

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Completely correct.
Its how ive used my Fishmans.
And EMG sell solderless push/pull pots separately too so you can even get the voice changing going like you would normally.

Most EMG's only have 1 quick connect cable, Fishmans have 2 cables per pickup . So if you're using Fishman Fluence with EMG quick connect pots you may have to do some figuring out as to which wires go where , it sounds doable, just can't say for sure since i've never done that

Probably need to elaborate different.
I meant in the actual Fishman realm.
Like Fishman Townsend swap with a Classic or whatever without actually changing the whole electronics.

I'm really bad with soldering.

Thanks for anwsering though!