The Fishman Fluence Thread

juka

Reaction score
I would say voice 1 would be super high gain active sound with a bouncy low end and some real low mid chunk, with a little bit less on the high mid and a crazy treble fizz and bite. Voice 2 would be a little lower gain, tighten up the bass, thicken up the mids and get really cutting in the high end. Voice 3 would be a nice snappy tele sort of single coil.

Somebody might describe their Fluence Prophesy line exactly like this, but they are made exclusively for Epiphone.

As said before focusing mainly on OEM and neglecting after market sales has proven to be disastrous for other pickup manufacturer already. Don't know why Fishman think they have to make the same mistake and not learn from others

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Asphyxia

Reaction score
Question for you guys. I have a Schecter with Moderns in it. Push Pull volume is the voice one and two. Push pull tone is single coil or tap, not sure.
Would the fishman classic directly swap out wired the same?

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Question for you guys. I have a Schecter with Moderns in it. Push Pull volume is the voice one and two. Push pull tone is single coil or tap, not sure.
Would the fishman classic directly swap out wired the same?
Probably not
Moderns have solder pads and are literally a split coil
The classics, if the 3.5v i think, have a single coil voicing acquired through the solderless connection

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would shell out for a fluence custom set since I demand so much versatility from my guitars and my personal taste in tone is a lot different than most things out there. The 2 voicings alongside a single coil is just what I want but moderns have to be manually split and I'm not sure the classics are what I want.

I would say voice 1 would be super high gain active sound with a bouncy low end and some real low mid chunk, with a little bit less on the high mid and a crazy treble fizz and bite. Voice 2 would be a little lower gain, tighten up the bass, thicken up the mids and get really cutting in the high end. Voice 3 would be a nice snappy tele sort of single coil.

I think if fishman would charge enough for the service like the Duncan custom shop they'd be really winning.

I've been saying this for a while now. Give me V2 of the Modern (or Abasi) and V1 of the Classics with hot noiseless single, and I'd be as happy as a clam.

lewis

Reaction score
I would shell out for a fluence custom set since I demand so much versatility from my guitars and my personal taste in tone is a lot different than most things out there. The 2 voicings alongside a single coil is just what I want but moderns have to be manually split and I'm not sure the classics are what I want.

No one does anything that solves my want for a punchy, chunky sound and a cutting mix ready tone all at once, you just can't do it. The closest I get is the EMG 57 but that's still smooth on the high end. The X2N is fizzy and super high powered but not quite punchy enough. I'm hoping the Super 3 gets brutal while still being controlled enough and isn't too too smooth. Still would have to solve the problem of that split tone too.

I think if fishman would charge enough for the service like the Duncan custom shop they'd be really winning.

Add an EMG RPC knob to that 57 and you will get way closer to your target sound.

juka

Reaction score
I've been saying this for a while now. Give me V2 of the Modern (or Abasi) and V1 of the Classics with hot noiseless single, and I'd be as happy as a clam.

As people obviously don't understand what the hell I'm blabbering about the whole time:
https://www.epiphone.com/Guitars/Collection/Prophecy
"...With custom-voiced Fishman® Fluence™ pickups that deliver three distinct tones - a warm "Patent Applied For" vintage humbucker, hot modern humbucker, and a shimmering hum-free single-coil..."

I'm strictly a 7string guy and have no affiliation with any company, I just keep mentioning these because they seem to be the perfect combination for me, too, and I don't understand why this much requested evolution of the Moderns is kept to OEM exclusively.

LCW

Reaction score
Maybe try emailing them or Ken Susi with your suggestion.

bjjman

Reaction score
Having installed these a few weeks ago, I figured I'd share my experience with the Fishman strat single width pickups as there's not too much info online.

I'm quite happy with the Open Core Classics that came in my EC-1000, so I decided to switch things up with my strat. It had very nice tone already but I wanted to go noiseless and the two voicings appealed seeing as I only have two single coil guitars.

I bought these as a prewired pickguard, figuring it would make everything easier. Boy was I proven wrong.

All the additional wiring for the voices, etc and the way things had been wired point to point with no consideration for having to fit in strat style routes meant that it didn't fit in the pickup/electronics cavity of my Warmoth body. I don't know for sure but I'm almost certain the same issues would exist for Fender strats which are obviously the main target for these kits. In order to get them to fit, I had to route a wider pathway between the bridge PU and electronics cavities. It's probable that if I rewired a lot of it with longer wires for the connections that it would have fit but I wasn't certain. I've not seen anyone raising this issue online for the strats (someone had similar complaints about the tele set) so maybe on the day they made mine they were running out of wiring and just said not to use a single mm more than necessary to connect bits and ^%&# whoever's going to have to install them.

I also installed the rechargeable battery pack. The lead lengths on these are also short but nowhere near as ridiculous as the pick guard. As long as you can route it fairly directly it should be fine.

While installing, I removed the shielding from the cavity as I needed every millimetre of room I could get. This was a bit of a gamble but these pickups are dead quiet, even with an unshielded cavity.

On to the sounds and where things get better. The vintage voicing is very much what you'd hope for. The strat quack is certainly on tap. Sweet clean tones are easy to obtain and it works with vintage style crunch nicely.

Switching to the hot Texas voicing yields a bump in output, along with the shift in freq response. The quack so present in the vintage pretty much disappears here. Neck pickup is great for bluesy soloing. The bridge does some great vintage rhythm tones. I even like it for some higher gain traditional metal rhythms, something I usually hate with singles. Iron Maiden, Yngwie and Stevie are all viable here.

Despite being actives, these pickups aren't overly compressed on either voicing. I would say they maybe lack a tiny bit of dynamics compared with the best traditional singles but this is splitting hairs. You can certainly be quite expressive with pick attack on these.

With hindsight I would still chose these pickups for my Strat. I would definitely not go for the prewired pickguard though. Given all the hassles it created, I would have been best just to do the wiring myself.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
How do the voices of the Single Widths compare to the Voice 3 single on the Open Core Classics in your opinion?

bjjman

Reaction score
How do the voices of the Single Widths compare to the Voice 3 single on the Open Core Classics in your opinion?
I've never really run them back to back with the same amp models, etc. That said, the V3 on the Classics doesn't sound very Strat-like to me in this guitar. It's probably more a function of the guitar, rather than the pickups though.

I do like the V3 tone in the Eclipse, it is a lot woodier than a normal strat tone. All three (bridge, neck, both) options are quite usable and make for some tonal options I don't have present in other guitars. Neck is great for, but not limited to, jazz and blues tones. Bridge sounds really nice through vintage style combo amps for overdriven rhythm.

It sounds like I imagine a strat pickup in a Les Paul would. I guess that means they'd be close to the strat sound in a guitar that matches - 25.5 scale, bolt on, etc but I don't know for sure.

wDeniedPyro

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello guys,
so I've tried to install the Fushman Fluence Tosin Abasi signature on a schecter damien elite 8 with a 3 way circular switch and 1 push pull volume for voice 1,2 and 1 push pull tone for split coil (voice 3).
In the diagrams made by fishman fluence, the NCO and SCO are not used, but they are really important for me because if i activate voice 3 on the middle position, I activate the outer coils instead of the inner ones. Is there a way to wire the NCO and SCO so that when I activate the voice 3 mode on the middle position, I get the inner coils of the bridge and the neck pickup? If so, how please!
My guitar wiring is the exact same one as the 3 way rev2 tosin abasi signature diagram provided by Fishman.

Mura

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello guys,
so I've tried to install the Fushman Fluence Tosin Abasi signature on a schecter damien elite 8 with a 3 way circular switch and 1 push pull volume for voice 1,2 and 1 push pull tone for split coil (voice 3).
In the diagrams made by fishman fluence, the NCO and SCO are not used, but they are really important for me because if i activate voice 3 on the middle position, I activate the outer coils instead of the inner ones. Is there a way to wire the NCO and SCO so that when I activate the voice 3 mode on the middle position, I get the inner coils of the bridge and the neck pickup? If so, how please!
My guitar wiring is the exact same one as the 3 way rev2 tosin abasi signature diagram provided by Fishman.

It is possible if you can replace the toggle switch. (Although it may be a little different from your wishes.)

https://www.freewayswitch.com/schematics-toggle/

Switch between voice1 or 2 and voice3 with the 6-way circular switch (FREE-WAY switch3X3-05 Model).

Switch between voice1 and voice2 with push pull volume.

By connecting NCO and SCO with push pull tone, it is possible to switch between Bridge Outer Coil and Bridge & Neck Inner Coils when voice3-Bridge is selected.

This is the wiring method for my guitar, but of course the fishman site doesn't describe the wiring method for the 6-way switch, so I think it will be a very difficult task.
I consulted with a local technician and proceeded.

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello guys,

NCO and SCO are really hard to do with a single push-pull because you need to switch hot wires and input wires as well. you will need a 4dpt mini switch to try and do it.

thorgan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So weird that that's the system on the abasis, on the reyes set it's just a solder bridge to ground that determines which coil is the single, can change it permanently easily or set it up to a switch no problem, seems like a better way I'm not sure why they wouldnt do it on all of them

Bender.folder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Installed a set of KSE's in my esp horizon nt2.

After having modern 7 that were not really my taste must say those KSE are other animals.
Each voicing is usable, distinct tone between both pickups and single coil on neck for clean with effect is convincing.
My horizon is pretty dark and thick sounding being mahogany body on those ones so the kse brings clarity and cut to the overall tone. Would not mount them in an ash or alder bodied or bright guitar though.

Curious about other combos and new sigs set. Got a solar Explorer instead my gibson looking to replace the passives; will see if I jump for another set.

elkoki

Reaction score
Installed a set of KSE's in my esp horizon nt2.

After having modern 7 that were not really my taste must say those KSE are other animals.
Each voicing is usable, distinct tone between both pickups and single coil on neck for clean with effect is convincing.
My horizon is pretty dark and thick sounding being mahogany body on those ones so the kse brings clarity and cut to the overall tone. Would not mount them in an ash or alder bodied or bright guitar though.

Curious about other combos and new sigs set. Got a solar Explorer instead my gibson looking to replace the passives; will see if I jump for another set.

The Will Adlers are my favorite metal pickup of the 4 Fluences I've tried.. the 4 being Moderns, Classics , KSE and Will Adler of course.

Will's are tight but they're a little fatter and darker sounding without being muddy. They work well in almost all tunings.. The neck pickup is a classic neck which sounds smooth for leads. Only thing they really lack are a solid clean tone..

My experience with KSE pickups is they're tight as fuck....but I would only use them for down tuning. They're super bright with very little bass. I tried using them in standard tuning and they were so harsh sounding.. anything from drop C or lower works. These are literally perfect for the crazy drop #G , F , drop A whatever the fuck tunings people do. They're probably the tightess pickups I've ever played. Cleans are a nice option to have on them but the Classic cleans sound a bit better to me .. overall decent set but I kind of want to replace them

wDeniedPyro

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
NCO and SCO are really hard to do with a single push-pull because you need to switch hot wires and input wires as well. you will need a 4dpt mini switch to try and do it.
So basically its impossible to do it without drilling the guitar?

Bender.folder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Kse are Indeed bright and tight.
My horizon is really dark might be the darkest guitar I had. The stock jb in it was quite fat sounding.
Kse evened it quite well.

I might give the Adler a go. But the Solar is quite meaty and fat and wiring with evertune cavity might need some work. Hate wiring fishman pickups. :)

elkoki

Reaction score
Kse are Indeed bright and tight.
My horizon is really dark might be the darkest guitar I had. The stock jb in it was quite fat sounding.
Kse evened it quite well.

I might give the Adler a go. But the Solar is quite meaty and fat and wiring with evertune cavity might need some work. Hate wiring fishman pickups. :)

Well I shouldn't really say they're fat sounding , they're tight pickups too, they are after all for Lamb of God and their sound is tight and fast. I really meant it more as they're slightly "fatter" sounding than the KSE set and moderns . They have a bit more low end and sound a bit darker, I assume they were voiced this way since LOG tune to drop D which is essentially standard tuning with 1 string tuned down. .. they're in no way fat like a Tone Zone or something like that. Just fuller sounding than some of the other Fluences