The Fishman Fluence Thread

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
Well I shouldn't really say they're fat sounding , they're tight pickups too, they are after all for Lamb of God and their sound is tight and fast. I really meant it more as they're slightly "fatter" sounding than the KSE set and moderns . They have a bit more low end and sound a bit darker, I assume they were voiced this way since LOG tune to drop D which is essentially standard tuning with 1 string tuned down. .. they're in no way fat like a Tone Zone or something like that. Just fuller sounding than some of the other Fluences

I always heard they sound like sort of a cross between a JB and a distortion on one of the voices, kinda really hot and thick, I've been wanting to test them out so anything that really sticks out that they're good for or sound like for comparisons?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elkoki

Reaction score
I always heard they sound like sort of a cross between a JB and a distortion on one of the voices, kinda really hot and thick, I've been wanting to test them out so anything that really sticks out that they're good for or sound like for comparisons?

I did this demo of the bridge pickup some time ago . They'd be good for thrash, metal core etc, they sound pretty good down tuned, farthest I ever went was C standard though . Not sure about djent styles since I don't tune that low.

sell2792

Reaction score
I did this demo of the bridge pickup some time ago . They'd be good for thrash, metal core etc, they sound pretty good down tuned, farthest I ever went was C standard though . Not sure about djent styles since I don't tune that low.

How do you think these or the KSE set would fare in a 25.5 JP-style guitar? I know the Moderns are the safe bet, but I'd like to experiment with something different.

elkoki

Reaction score
How do you think these or the KSE set would fare in a 25.5 JP-style guitar? I know the Moderns are the safe bet, but I'd like to experiment with something different.

What style of music do you play? I've never owned a JP guitar, but from the looks of it you might have to widen your pickup slots for them to fit. Check the dimensions first. IMO the KSE set is better suited if you like to play heavy down tuned metal, from drop C and below. Killswitch Engage plays exclusively in drop C so they were voiced with that in mind, playing in standard tuning can sound a little harsh & bright. Adlers are a little more thrashy sounding, similar to the Duncan Distortion , they're good in just about any tuning. Don't know if i'd use them for classic rock though, for of a more classic sound i'd go with the Classic set

This guy gives a more thorough demo of the Adlers

sell2792

Reaction score
What style of music do you play? I've never owned a JP guitar, but from the looks of it you might have to widen your pickup slots for them to fit. Check the dimensions first. IMO the KSE set is better suited if you like to play heavy down tuned metal, from drop C and below. Killswitch Engage plays exclusively in drop C so they were voiced with that in mind, playing in standard tuning can sound a little harsh & bright. Adlers are a little more thrashy sounding, similar to the Duncan Distortion , they're good in just about any tuning. Don't know if i'd use them for classic rock though, for of a more classic sound i'd go with the Classic set

If I had to classify it, most my playing falls under deathcore-style. Almost exclusively rhythm playing. My JP15 is tuned to drop-C, and if I get this JPX-7 I've been eyeballing, it'll either be in drop-A or G.. So far I actually really like the Illuminators, especially over the CL/LF set. The X has Alpha/Omegas, so I'm super interested in playing with those first.

I've seen a handful of JPs with Fishmans, but no idea what the install process is like. That's something I'm going to have to reach out to get more information on.

elkoki

Reaction score
If I had to classify it, most my playing falls under deathcore-style. Almost exclusively rhythm playing. My JP15 is tuned to drop-C, and if I get this JPX-7 I've been eyeballing, it'll either be in drop-A or G.. So far I actually really like the Illuminators, especially over the CL/LF set. The X has Alpha/Omegas, so I'm super interested in playing with those first.

I've seen a handful of JPs with Fishmans, but no idea what the install process is like. That's something I'm going to have to reach out to get more information on.

From what i've seen most guitars that come with direct mounted uncovered pickups won't fit most Fluences, EMGs or any other pickup with covers without modifying the routes. Shit if your routes are anything like the routes in Ibanez guitar then you can't just drop any pickup unless it's of the same brand.. you run into problems like the baseplates being too big, or the tabs shape being different etc..

Honestly KSE or Adlers would work well for the style you play. KSE's are tighter and cutting with less bass, Adler's are still tight but a little darker and with no third voice. Really depends on what you prefer

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
From what i've seen most guitars that come with direct mounted uncovered pickups won't fit most Fluences, EMGs or any other pickup with covers without modifying the routes. Shit if your routes are anything like the routes in Ibanez guitar then you can't just drop any pickup unless it's of the same brand.. you run into problems like the baseplates being too big, or the tabs shape being different etc..

Honestly KSE or Adlers would work well for the style you play. KSE's are tighter and cutting with less bass, Adler's are still tight but a little darker and with no third voice. Really depends on what you prefer
Agreed with your thoughts on the tones, though for me the Adlers blow the KSE set out of the water. Probably my 2nd fav set behind the classics.

Reaction score
I am learning the ropes of the Fluence moderns that came in my Schecter C1 Elite. Ceramic bridge / Alnico Neck. Not a metal player but the clarity fits my playing very well. I thought the push/pull volume knob switched between voices on the neck pickup and the tone did the same on the bridge pickup. I am seeing various opinions on this. It looks like the Moderns can do a split, and its been suggested that the C1 Elite does this but that is not what I am hearing. Can anyone confirm how these are wired in that guitar?

elkoki

Reaction score
Agreed with your thoughts on the tones, though for me the Adlers blow the KSE set out of the water. Probably my 2nd fav set behind the classics.
Yea classics and Adlers are my top 2 so far. The Kse bridge pickup is voiced a little crazy, so much treble and little bass

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yea classics and Adlers are my top 2 so far. The Kse bridge pickup is voiced a little crazy, so much treble and little bass
I agree. I didn't realize how much low end they took out until I heard them compared side by side with all the other fluence sets. I'm still curious to hear a 6 string set of the Javier Reyes pick ups. So far all the videos I've found are on 7 or 8 string guitars.

elkoki

Reaction score
I am learning the ropes of the Fluence moderns that came in my Schecter C1 Elite. Ceramic bridge / Alnico Neck. Not a metal player but the clarity fits my playing very well. I thought the push/pull volume knob switched between voices on the neck pickup and the tone did the same on the bridge pickup. I am seeing various opinions on this. It looks like the Moderns can do a split, and its been suggested that the C1 Elite does this but that is not what I am hearing. Can anyone confirm how these are wired in that guitar?

I had the 7 string version of that guitar, the C7 SLS elite. The guitar came wired with no coil splitting. All the pots did was access the second voice. Each pickup was assigned to a pot, so if the tone pot was for the bridge , pulling it up accessed the second voice only for the bridge. Moderns CAN be wired to coil split but to do that you have to solder wires to the pads on the back of the pickup. They're not like the Classics or KSE sets that come standard with 3 voices. Moderns technically only have 2 voices with the option to split coils.

ringmaster555

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have both the Schecter SLS Elite 7 multiscale and the KM-7 III with Fluence moderns and Keith Merrow pickups respectively, and the midrange resonances in the ~500-700KHz range are way too overpowering in both guitars, at least for my tastes; it’s practically all I hear. At first, I thought it was primarily due to the guitars’ bodies (they’re swamp ash with maple necks), but I’m thinking the pickups are playing a bigger role.

Example (just the Fortin Nameless amp with no pedals):

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/483757276231106581/874817956402585670/23547245.wav

Tried different amp sims, cabs, and EQing DI to no avail.

I’m going to swap them with SD Black Winters. From videos I’ve heard, the winters don’t have such honky mids. Hopefully I won’t experience the same issue.

Last edited:

TheInvisibleHand

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is it possible to wire a set of Abasi 7s to use a single push/ pull to default to the active voice and then seitch voice 3 when the pot is pulled? Just got a new 7 with only a volume knob and also don't care for the passive voice on the fluences, but would love access to the spanky single coil tone on the abasis.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Is it possible to wire a set of Abasi 7s to use a single push/ pull to default to the active voice and then seitch voice 3 when the pot is pulled? Just got a new 7 with only a volume knob and also don't care for the passive voice on the fluences, but would love access to the spanky single coil tone on the abasis.

Aren't they active by default? If so, don't even connect the Voice 2 wire. Connect the Single Coil wire where you'd install the voicing switch on the push-pull pot.

elkoki

Reaction score

How you liking the Abasi's? I want to replace my KSE set with them

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
How you liking the Abasi's? I want to replace my KSE set with them

I have the Tosin pickups in my 8 string. Every different pickup setting (8 total as it's wired) is great, but I'm not 100% happy with the bridge for the thrash/death metal based rhythm tone I like. The upper mids are a little too pronounced.

I'm in the middle of putting a Javier set in my Ibanez RG 7 string mutt. Waiting on a switch to arrive, so I put the bridge pickup in with a volume control. I think I like it better than the Tosin for that chunky metal tone, but I'll say more once I get the switch. My plan is a 4 way Tele switch, so it goes:

Bridge
Bridge/neck parallel
Neck
Bridge/neck series

Pulling the volume knob gives voice 2, pulling the tone voice 3. I'm using the 4 way specifically to get both pickups split in series. My Tele and my PRS CE24 both have this sound, and it's awesome. On the Tele with single coils, it's a massive, Les Paul sound, and on the PRS is sounds like a virtual 3rd humbucker.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Fluence question:

How's the Fishman Modern 8 bridge vs the Abasi bridge? The *only* sound I'm not thrilled with in my Tosin-loaded 8 is the metal rhythm tone. I'm not anti-djent at all, but the tone I want is more based on the classic thrash/death metal EMG 81 sound. Does the Modern have less of that wah-filter squawk than the Abasi?

What I'm finding with the Tosins is if I get the low F# sounding good, everything in the "normal" guitar range is honk-city. I didn't wire the guitar, so I'm not positive which is voice 1 or 2, but I can almost get the tone I want with the bassier voice (I think passive), but then the other sounds like I have a mid boost and a wah turned on. Probably awesome for djent, but not for thrash/death.

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fluence question:

How's the Fishman Modern 8 bridge vs the Abasi bridge? The *only* sound I'm not thrilled with in my Tosin-loaded 8 is the metal rhythm tone. I'm not anti-djent at all, but the tone I want is more based on the classic thrash/death metal EMG 81 sound. Does the Modern have less of that wah-filter squawk than the Abasi?

What I'm finding with the Tosins is if I get the low F# sounding good, everything in the "normal" guitar range is honk-city. I didn't wire the guitar, so I'm not positive which is voice 1 or 2, but I can almost get the tone I want with the bassier voice (I think passive), but then the other sounds like I have a mid boost and a wah turned on. Probably awesome for djent, but not for thrash/death.

the moderns are even worse in their active voice.

wildchild

Reaction score
I want to install Fishman Fluence Modern 7 pickups in my Ibanez RG752.
I couldn't see open cover versions on their website. Do the soap bar style ones fit?
Thanks