The Fishman Fluence Thread

TheBolivianSniper

Reaction score
You sure something's not wrong with your 707's? I love my 707's. I just lower them really low and they balance out well. Maybe they don't agree your gear or guitar or something.

I mean that guitar is gone, it just didn't like my setup. It was comfy but my dream guitar popped up and away the 7 went. I got them dialed in eventually and it did take some time since the plugins I use are pretty bassy and kinda fizzy (Herbert, VH4) since my guitars are full of mids and need some treble bite. EQing out the boom was a little hard and that ugly twang never went away but I ended up getting some better clarity and less scoop after working with them. Still would've been ditched had I kept the guitar.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bender.folder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Any ideas for a gibson explorer ? All mahogany rosewood fingerboard drop c# tremonti trivium played on it mostly.

Had moderns 7 on a full mahogany schecter was not blown away. Was not this clear sounding and lacked low end .

elkoki

Reaction score
Any ideas for a gibson explorer ? All mahogany rosewood fingerboard drop c# tremonti trivium played on it mostly.

Had moderns 7 on a full mahogany schecter was not blown away. Was not this clear sounding and lacked low end .

Will Adler set. They're thicker sounding than the moderns and do well with low and higher tunings.

Reactions: LCW

cmpxchg

Reaction score
I want to try the -6db setting on my Moderns (I think I'd like the V1 vs V2 differences more that way), but the guitar I got them in didn't include the jumper. Anyone know a way to get one? Not sure if this is a standard size part or what. I'm not too keen on soldering a wire to the pickup when I might hate it and want to take it out immediately.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
I want to try the -6db setting on my Moderns (I think I'd like the V1 vs V2 differences more that way), but the guitar I got them in didn't include the jumper. Anyone know a way to get one? Not sure if this is a standard size part or what. I'm not too keen on soldering a wire to the pickup when I might hate it and want to take it out immediately.

just wrap some wire.

lewis

Reaction score
Contact fishman. They sent me a bag of jumper clips for free.

LCW

Reaction score
I’ve disliked Fishman Moderns in another guitar (alder body/maple neck Soloist) but I played this LTD EC1000 today with the Moderns and holy hell! Liked the guitar so much (not just for the pickup tone) had to take it home with me . Just gotta remember not to leave my guitar cable plugged into it haha.

B8193B15-A25A-44A6-96ED-F0E35E9CF51B.jpeg

F00000E6-58AE-4CF9-BCA0-00E6BFC96B00.jpeg

thorgan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally got the Javier Reyes 7 string set installed in my KXK, overall they sound awesome so it really is a shame that fishman kinda let me down in terms of quality control and customer support. Took me from May 13th to July 26th, almost 11 weeks, to get working pickups. Considering I bought these brand new and after taxes was in for over 400 CAD, It's pretty disappointing to get a faulty neck pickup from the factory and then have to wait 8 weeks for a replacement. Again the pickups sound great, and I had hopes of trying other fishman products (abasi set, koch tele and p90 set) in some of my other guitars, but for spending that kind of money I just can't abide the run around that this gave me, these were going into my main guitar so at every new development I was swapping and rewiring electronics as well as restringing in order to have it ready for the gigs I needed it on in the meantime. If you're going to order I'd urge you to at least order from a retailer that has multiples in stock and a good replacement policy.

The pickups themselves sound great, I play a real variety of jazz, metal, and fingerstyle and I'm able to cover a ton of useable tones, they don't remind me at all of actives I've had in the past so I would say if you're looking for a set that resembles a traditional passive pickup but with that extra clarity and versatility look into these, the sound demos on youtube are quite accurate to what they sound like installed. Single coil tones are awesome and the voice 2 neck pickup is super valuable to me. I will say that I find the more gain I add the less difference I can hear between voice 1 and 2, especially on the bridge. I may need to sit with them a little more, but on clean sounds there is definitely a difference, just haven't found how to maximize it under heavy gain yet, not sure if other fluences are like that.

juka

Reaction score
Finally got the Javier Reyes 7 string set installed in my KXK, overall they sound awesome so it really is a shame that fishman kinda let me down in terms of quality control and customer support. Took me from May 13th to July 26th, almost 11 weeks, to get working pickups. Considering I bought these brand new and after taxes was in for over 400 CAD, It's pretty disappointing to get a faulty neck pickup from the factory and then have to wait 8 weeks for a replacement. Again the pickups sound great, and I had hopes of trying other fishman products (abasi set, koch tele and p90 set) in some of my other guitars, but for spending that kind of money I just can't abide the run around that this gave me, these were going into my main guitar so at every new development I was swapping and rewiring electronics as well as restringing in order to have it ready for the gigs I needed it on in the meantime. If you're going to order I'd urge you to at least order from a retailer that has multiples in stock and a good replacement policy.

The pickups themselves sound great, I play a real variety of jazz, metal, and fingerstyle and I'm able to cover a ton of useable tones, they don't remind me at all of actives I've had in the past so I would say if you're looking for a set that resembles a traditional passive pickup but with that extra clarity and versatility look into these, the sound demos on youtube are quite accurate to what they sound like installed. Single coil tones are awesome and the voice 2 neck pickup is super valuable to me. I will say that I find the more gain I add the less difference I can hear between voice 1 and 2, especially on the bridge. I may need to sit with them a little more, but on clean sounds there is definitely a difference, just haven't found how to maximize it under heavy gain yet, not sure if other fluences are like that.

Great to hear that you like the JR set as there are still not many reviews of these to be found online.

@Kensusiunearth: Really don't know what the problem with Fishman is all about. I mean they are a well established company and the Fluence pickups themselves are top notch, but quality control, support and supply are NOT!
- Bought my first Abasi set recently (my 6th Fluence set in total) and the blue-green-gray cable was missing the gray (thats' where all the magic of the Abasi set is happening),
- asked support for a 5way super switch wiring scheme for classics, but gary never came back to me,
- tried to buy a Zebra set for nearly a year, but distributor says Fishman doesn't deliver,

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
In addition to the above, I feel that the development is anemic when compared to their popularity. Hardly any new sig models in the last 2 years, where is the new revision of the moderns with single coil voice, what about slanted pickups, what about more bass pickups in different formats, J, P/J, etc.? I'm really surprised not too many here commenting on Keith Merrow discontinuing his Fluence model, anyone knows what happened?

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In addition to the above, I feel that the development is anemic when compared to their popularity. Hardly any new sig models in the last 2 years, where is the new revision of the moderns with single coil voice, what about slanted pickups, what about more bass pickups in different formats, J, P/J, etc.? I'm really surprised not too many here commenting on Keith Merrow discontinuing his Fluence model, anyone knows what happened?

Did Merrow jump ship back to Duncan? I ditched Fishman a few months ago because they did not want to replace one of my classic models which came already shot when i ordered it. Tried to blame me for it or inaccurate operating as they called it.

IwantTacos

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Great to hear that you like the JR set as there are still not many reviews of these to be found online.

@Kensusiunearth: Really don't know what the problem with Fishman is all about. I mean they are a well established company and the Fluence pickups themselves are top notch, but quality control, support and supply are NOT!
- Bought my first Abasi set recently (my 6th Fluence set in total) and the blue-green-gray cable was missing the gray (thats' where all the magic of the Abasi set is happening),
- asked support for a 5way super switch wiring scheme for classics, but gary never came back to me,
- tried to buy a Zebra set for nearly a year, but distributor says Fishman doesn't deliver,

you have ken calling users idiots in this very thread. their cs engineers do not know or are not willing to actually disclose how any of their product's connection work in e-mails.

tells you all you need to know about this company.

diagrammatiks. account hacked. don't use the same password and e-mail for literally everything. temporary sig until I can set a sig.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@slavboi_delight He posted it on Instagram responding to Fluff's post about his new Fluence sig. Someone here mentioned it in another thread, here's a screenshot.
View attachment 96856
Oh wow. That's way more loosely said than i anticipated.
Plus: I can't wrap my head around it how Bruce get's a sig pickup. No hate or whatever but what the hell?

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Keith also recently posted a picture w/ one of his KM-iii sigs w/ Duncans, what does that mean, ur guess is as good as mine.

EDIT: Apparently, Fishman also updated the Fluence site (whoopi-do), mainly cosmetic, KM model still there (so no clue what KM is saying?). Only substantial change is that they added wiring diagrams, nothing like SD, but not bad, here: https://www.fishman.com/support-technical-docs/#wiring

Last edited:
Reactions: LCW

thorgan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Did Merrow jump ship back to Duncan? I ditched Fishman a few months ago because they did not want to replace one of my classic models which came already shot when i ordered it. Tried to blame me for it or inaccurate operating as they called it.

Honestly had I not gone through a local shop with an owner I trust to represent me I'm worried this would have been even more of an ordeal like you had to deal with. I'm not trying to put anyone specifically from the company on blast here, I understand this is a big operation and stuff happens. But dead from the factory is pretty embarrassing for a company of Fishmans size, and then seemingly no urgency to replace a paid for faulty product starts to test the limits of my goodwill.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly had I not gone through a local shop with an owner I trust to represent me I'm worried this would have been even more of an ordeal like you had to deal with. I'm not trying to put anyone specifically from the company on blast here, I understand this is a big operation and stuff happens. But dead from the factory is pretty embarrassing for a company of Fishmans size, and then seemingly no urgency to replace a paid for faulty product starts to test the limits of my goodwill.
100%
As i read on here many people had that same problem
Even my guitar tech who wanted to distribute for fishman had pretty bitter things to report about them unfortunately

juka

Reaction score
@slavboi_delight He posted it on Instagram responding to Fluff's post about his new Fluence sig. Someone here mentioned it in another thread, here's a screenshot.
View attachment 96856

That was me, troublemaker that I am ;-)

Keith and Ken both refused to comment so far, it still is on Fishman's and Schecter's webpage, but sometimes it is more about what people do NOT say. Was pretty obvious in Ken's last "Fishman live" when in an answer to a user's request he did NOT mention the KM set in a situation where he had recommended the KM set a thousand times before.

juka

Reaction score

Well they "sort of" have a revision to the Moderns, it's called Prophesy and exclusive to Epiphone. Which reinforces my point in a way. Fishman is in the business for too long to not knowing that preferring OEMs over aftermarket customers won't work on the long run. Ask EMG ;-)

They really seem to have a way in frustrating their sig artists. If you follow Thomas McRocklin you probably know how super enthusiastic he was with his purple sig prototype set in the beginning and meanwhile you better NOT ask him about the release date anymore.

Don't get me wrong I still love my Fluence sets and they still are the best pups I have found in over 30 years of guitar playing. It really hurts to see them having such a great technology in their hands and not getting their shit together :-(