The Fishman Fluence Thread

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My Abasis are very quiet. I have two different guitars who have em. Even on single coil mode, it is quieter than my Strat pickups. But I dont have my gain way up. And on single coil V3 I just do edge of breakup tones. Of course, you will get some hum when you pile on the gain. It's still a single coil. lol

The Fluence single coil pickups are a bit quieter.

I tried an Abasi set in an Abasi guitar, pickups sounded great (at least on the active voice). Don't remember experiencing any noise with it. However I didn't play it for very long. Just long enough to know that I liked it and want a set.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chromatizm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Lindy Fralin noiseless may suit you better.

Thank you, never heard of them. Tried a couple of demos on Youtube (yeah, I know), and I think when talking about passive noiseless I like G&Ls Z Coil better. To my ears they are clearer, punchier and more strat-sounding.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I decided to purchase an Abasi set, as they now have versions that will match my guitars aesthetic. They should arrive next week.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I ran into a set of Keith Merrows and Devins for a solid price so I grabbed them.

I know someone mentioned the Keiths would be a retrofit with my current wiring. But does anyone have any experience swapping Abasi -> Devin?

Setup is 5 Way, Vol (P/P Voicing), Tone (P/P Split).

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I swapped the Devins in, and they seem to work just fine in the Tosin wiring for my 060.

My tone knob P/P seems to not work for anything, and the Volume P/P seems to split the coils now.

They sound really good honestly, far less bright and by default they have a lot of bottom end on the lower strings for riffing. However, and I don't know if this is the case for everyone else but my Volume P/P seems to add a lot more upper mid oomph and low end to tones (1/3/5) on the 5 way. Would this be a voicing option? If it is, then I'd really prefer voice 1 to be the default option, with the passive being the pulled pot tone.

MarvinMu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey,

I have 1 quick question. I want to buy the Abasis for my 8 string and use the Abasi wiring (outer coil splits), but i only have a 3 way switch 1 Tone and 1 Volume Poti. Can i get the abasi wiring with this setup or do i need to get a 5way switch? (In the manual there is no wiring diagram for the abasi wiring with my setup)

Strobe

Reaction score
Hey,

I have 1 quick question. I want to buy the Abasis for my 8 string and use the Abasi wiring (outer coil splits), but i only have a 3 way switch 1 Tone and 1 Volume Poti. Can i get the abasi wiring with this setup or do i need to get a 5way switch? (In the manual there is no wiring diagram for the abasi wiring with my setup)

I have a six string set. You can get all the voices with a 3 way and 2 push-pull switches as I have. I would prefer a 5 way switch, but it works the other way.

MarvinMu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a six string set. You can get all the voices with a 3 way and 2 push-pull switches as I have. I would prefer a 5 way switch, but it works the other way.
Thank you for your answer, but i knew that already. What i wanna know is, if it is possible, that i get the outer coil split.

This is from the official Fluence manual wiring for my Setup.

d1db2969c8af22c8d9e8482bb51d994f.png

If I compare it to this wiring of the Abasi preferred wiring:
6c4ca851641d09b3fe56cb4ad2c1aa29.png

you can see that the NCO And SCO pads are used while they arent in the first diagram everything else seems similar.
I'm not sure, but doesnt this mean that between these wirings there are different coils used?

juka

Reaction score
When revisiting the Fishman website after some time I just saw that the design of the Keith Merrow Signature seems to have changed from screws and slugs to all slugs. Any known changes to the sound or is it just cosmetics?

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
What? The pics on Schecter site for all the KM 2020 models are slugs & screws, so it must be for 2021. All slugs would make them look like some of the other Schecter pickups lol.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Thank you for your answer, but i knew that already. What i wanna know is, if it is possible, that i get the outer coil split.

This is from the official Fluence manual wiring for my Setup.

d1db2969c8af22c8d9e8482bb51d994f.png

If I compare it to this wiring of the Abasi preferred wiring:
6c4ca851641d09b3fe56cb4ad2c1aa29.png

you can see that the NCO And SCO pads are used while they arent in the first diagram everything else seems similar.
I'm not sure, but doesnt this mean that between these wirings there are different coils used?

yes. tosins 5 way wiring with the super 5 way switch has one coil of the bridge pickup going through the preamp of the neck pickup in single coil mode. (or vice versa) and the coil split on the coil selects a different coil from the coil that is used in position 2

the three way switch with push pull wiring only uses the preamps of each pickup and the hardwired split coil selection.

tldr: Position Both Bridge and Neck (coil split) with the 3 way will use different preamps and coils from position 2 (tosin super 5 switch wiring)

MarvinMu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
yes. tosins 5 way wiring with the super 5 way switch has one coil of the bridge pickup going through the preamp of the neck pickup in single coil mode. (or vice versa) and the coil split on the coil selects a different coil from the coil that is used in position 2

the three way switch with push pull wiring only uses the preamps of each pickup and the hardwired split coil selection.

tldr: Position Both Bridge and Neck (coil split) with the 3 way will use different preamps and coils from position 2 (tosin super 5 switch wiring)

So if I understand correctly I have to get a 5 way switch to use the sounds as the abasi favoured wiring.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
So I wanted to update my experience with the Abasi set. Originally when I installed them I complained about how noisy the bridge was. I replaced the switch for a new one and it's been working great now. So as someone who has hated 4 sets of Moderns in the past, I can honestly say that I love this Abasi set. I still greatly prefer the feel of passives, but man these sound so damn good for those who like that low mid, tight, modern high gain tone. The bridge voice 1 has a huge peak in the low mids and allows to get that chunky tone while hitting the strings very lightly. THIS is what makes this set so magical for me and the soul reason why I'm keeping these pickups for one of my guitars. I have my DK24 setup in Drop A# with a setup of 11-56 and it sounds huge as if I was playing on a 27" scaled guitar. The low mids are just incredible. Then voice 2 on the bridge sounds a bit sweeter so it's great for huge chords that just really ring out clearly. The neck is nothing special to be honest so not much to talk about there, but the single coil modes... wow! They absolutely don't feel or even sound like true single coils, but they sound absolutely perfect for clean tones or for tracking single coil strat-like sounds. I guess this is where these pickups excel. They are just so incredibly clear and punchy for recording. So for those that hated the moderns like me, definitely give another set a try, you might be surprised. Now I really want to give either the Keith Merrow or Devin Townsend set a try since those both have an alnico bridge.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Glad you were able to fix the issue. They are supposed to be really quiet. The low mids on the Tosin is where it's at. None of the boxy middle of the moderns. The only Fluence pups that can dethrone my favorite EMG Hetset.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So I wanted to update my experience with the Abasi set. Originally when I installed them I complained about how noisy the bridge was. I replaced the switch for a new one and it's been working great now. So as someone who has hated 4 sets of Moderns in the past, I can honestly say that I love this Abasi set. I still greatly prefer the feel of passives, but man these sound so damn good for those who like that low mid, tight, modern high gain tone. The bridge voice 1 has a huge peak in the low mids and allows to get that chunky tone while hitting the strings very lightly. THIS is what makes this set so magical for me and the soul reason why I'm keeping these pickups for one of my guitars. I have my DK24 setup in Drop A# with a setup of 11-56 and it sounds huge as if I was playing on a 27" scaled guitar. The low mids are just incredible. Then voice 2 on the bridge sounds a bit sweeter so it's great for huge chords that just really ring out clearly. The neck is nothing special to be honest so not much to talk about there, but the single coil modes... wow! They absolutely don't feel or even sound like true single coils, but they sound absolutely perfect for clean tones or for tracking single coil strat-like sounds. I guess this is where these pickups excel. They are just so incredibly clear and punchy for recording. So for those that hated the moderns like me, definitely give another set a try, you might be surprised. Now I really want to give either the Keith Merrow or Devin Townsend set a try since those both have an alnico bridge.

The Moderns are more of a one-trick pony. I've learned to develop presets to accommodate their voicings and have gotten favorable results with that in mind. However, they don't track as well as I'd like them to (when compared to my favorite passives) which is why I'm switching them out for the Abasi set. I should be able to compare the two in the next few days.

The Moderns aren't terrible per se, but personally I would've preferred more dynamics out of V1 and more mids out of V2.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does anyone know how good the KSE set is? I know they have like no low end but the voicings sound like they'd be what I want, I just need it to be hot enough to drive and match well with my Recto.

Jeries

Banned
Reaction score
The SRC are like the 81 8 or the Lace X Bar - scooped with a strong jump in the curve after 500k fq and let me say this, there was an option for the shop to wire it as ESPs preferred method : turned out they had to put the High frequency pass or hf tilt - the pickups were so powerful, but so bright. The result was to roll back the highs so when SRC said he would have done them over differently, I think he meant the actually that he altered the scoop (in passive mode) with a stronger than desirable high mid and was forced to adjust.

You can see it on the fishman site, it’s in his PDF download or wiring chart. With that said, I still found them to be the most versatile and powerful 8 pup. I’d recommend doing what I did, which was go to the Fishman site, buy a push pull knob and set the tone to regular and had to pull so you can disengage or control otherwise the (very wise) pre amp chip takes over and modulates it I would imagine.

anyone else into them?