The HAARP Machine Megathread

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I'm not gonna take sides, but damn.

At least the truth from one perspective has been revealed. I was really starting to dislike the veiled comments.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bulb

Reaction score
Allow me to clarify one point pertaining the allegations (well, actually simple statements as you have pretty much stated what was previously said): I haven't claimed you were deliberately "faking a demo", but I do find it unnecessary to do all the processing as it will inevitably mask the raw sound and pretty much "kill" a demo on the spot - the accusations pertaining the handling of the processed tracks were directed at Summerian, who manages the channel where the playthrough was posted, as whomever takes care of the PR / YouTube channel deleted every single comment pertaining the simple stating of "these are tracks polished and tracked with a number of production artifacts", not "Al is a tool" or "fake and gay" or whatever insulting / trolling you often find in pretty much any video with good visibility.

Whomever envisioned the end result didn't address is as a commercial as much as they did as a demo, which will then (for obvious reasons) be all but a demo of the instrument as it becomes diluted in the post-processing. This is something that doesn't work, in my opinion. As I've stated before, you can do whatever you please on a record to get your desired results - I use a more "organic" approach, you go for machine-like perfection, all fair game as long as it sounds good.

In the end, I only do care about whether a musician can perform their work competently, without "magic" masking that, and that is easily seen live. Since I do like the music, I expect to see it sooner or later. In light of your statement, as I'm sure you'll understand, my opinion regarding the incredibly poor handling of the simple statement of fact by the person / people in charge of the YT channel stands as is, and won't change.

Other than that, lovely guitar from .strandberg*, as expected. :)

QFT!

Purelojik

Reaction score
I'm not gonna take sides, but damn.

At least the truth from one perspective has been revealed. I was really starting to dislike the veiled comments.

im still very confused as to why all of this is even happening. its like a little kid watching mom and dad fight lol. you like both but dont know what the hell is going on.

JosephAOI

Thinks Jazz = Metal
Reaction score
Sine you're here now, I wanted something cleared up cause I'm rather confused. Is your actual name Al Mu'min? Cause I read something that it was more like a title? :scratch:

Cougs

Reaction score
im still very confused as to why all of this is even happening. its like a little kid watching mom and dad fight lol. you like both but dont know what the hell is going on.

You couldn't have put that any better.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
Funny thing. I talked with your old drummer and never did he badmouth the band or in any way tried to get involved with any discussion anout the band. In fact, other ex-members who I've also talked to keep saying you are negative towards them. Who's telling the truth here Al?

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
But whatever, Al, we won't see eye to eye on any of this obviously, so just be happy for all the extra press you got out of this, yay!

NtiP1.gif

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
I would really enjoy a tour consisting of Machinehead, Florence and the Machine, Rage Against the Machine, and The Haarp Machine.

A boy can dream.

MacTown09

Reaction score
I felt like I had to do a slight rebuttal.

"In the end you will believe whatever you want to believe."

Not when there is truth. I feel like you didn't give us any.

"The Strandberg Guitarworks video is a commercial. I have never claimed it was a live play through nor have I denied any studio practice. The question was never asked for the alleged denial to occur. The dry truth is we simply did not have the means to record live within the set timeframe."

You had camera gear. It is much more timely to play guitar and record it with the camera than it is to play it in a studio and then alter it and then pretend to play it again for a camera. If you were in a time crunch why didn't you just play the guitar and put up a pretty video of it like the "commercial" depicts?

"A sane and confident person would've have used this time to pick up the pieces and move on instead of rolling around in the filth and crying for attention."

This statement sums up the "commercial" for me.

"Nolly introduced Derya of The Safety Fire and I to this 'tabooed' recording technique a few years ago proclaiming that The Faceless and Veil Of Maya had implemented it on their latest records with great success. This technique has a particular sound and has become commonplace within the community for a variety of purposes. Everyone from Necrophagist to Animals As Leaders has done it and no one is feeling guilty for it."

Lack of guilt does not make something right. Because other people do it does not make it right.

"Those so-called 'musicians' who enforce the completely erroneous notion that technical music must be recorded 'traditionally' to be valid are missing the point completely. This is music; not sports and the less we focus on trivial athleticism the more we can focus on creating and sharing the true essence of why we're all here."

This is where we will never see eye to eye and just because we disagree does not mean that either of our notions are "completely erroneous". I can't even begin to explain the difference between the essence of why I and you are here.

''But when doing my playthrough, I wanted people to hear what my Strandberg actually sounds like, so I played it through an amp in one take, filmed that/used the audio from that and not the audio from the album, sure it's not perfect but neither am I, and that's okay.''

"The point is valid but it's clear you are trying to belittle me in order to raise your own esteem. "

I think you belittle yourself by not showing us your actual playing. He also said NOTHING about you in the statement so I don't really see why you think it's about you :scratch:

"''Basically I am saying that you shouldn't lie. I know, I am old fashioned like that, but I don't think it's right.''

So.

You've stated on numerous occasions that Matt Halpern played in the drums on an electric kit on Periphery's first record, yet our mutual friend informed me that this a LIE and it was all programmed from the onset. A convenient and fool proof LIE if only not for the gossiping tendencies of your new bassist.

Double standards? Hypocrisy? Self-righteousness? You decide. "

You say you heard from Nolly that Periphery recorded drums differently than they say they didn't and now you question character? Haven't you been against this kind of behavior the whole time? It is gossip and it doesn't really matter anyway. Is this not what you started your whole post trying to dismiss?

Also we all know what an incredible play Matt Halpern is and he and Misha have a great reputation. Your ideals are up for question and instead of explaining those to us you try and trash the reps of others. Including your old drummer.

"In time the truth will be realised and those who've made moral judgement based on conjecture and rumour, will have to face the cold stare in the mirror eventually."

Kind of goes with the above. Calling someone hypocritical and self-righteous?

I'd also like to end this by just saying that you have the worlds ear. Why the hell aren't you letting us hear you play?

Reaction score
A conscious effort was made with The HAARP Machine to focus on art and revolution and not get caught up in the noise. Alas, assumption, insinuation and accusation have been rife and the need to 'take out the trash' has necessitated an exception.

But first, lets step back and take a closer look at the source of these so called 'truths' and intentions of those who point the finger. What are their motives? What exactly is trying to be communicated and understood here?

In modern society across the globe, statutory laws have been set in place to ensure a fair trial. This is designed to prevent rumour, conjecture and disinformation from clouding the jury's perception of the reality at hand and serving injustice. The last handful of pages on this thread have been so far removed from this basic human right that it is more akin to the witch trials of the 1600s than a forum of self respecting musicians in the 21st century.

How we approach situations like this is crucial. Taking the lesser foot forward and assuming the worst says a lot more about 'you' than 'me'.

In the end you will believe whatever you want to believe.
>

1. The Strandberg Guitarworks video is a commercial. I have never claimed it was a live play through nor have I denied any studio practice. The question was never asked for the alleged denial to occur. The dry truth is we simply did not have the means to record live within the set timeframe.

2. The comments on Sumerian Records Youtube channel have nothing to do with us. There is however a spam filter on our page to block anything to do with the previous drummer, who is on a mission to air 'dirty laundry' and manipulate everything and everyone within his reach in an attempt to slander my name and The HAARP Machine. He quit the band in an emotionally charged, tactical move and asked to rejoin 12 hours later. He was refused outright and now directs his negative energy and high school drama at us rather than accept the consequences of his belligerence and error. This happened 6 months ago. A sane and confident person would've have used this time to pick up the pieces and move on instead of rolling around in the filth and crying for attention.

For the record - I had the option to rerecord the drums; I chose not to. I had the option to not credit him on the album whatsoever; I chose not to. I have the option to remove his play-through videos of my songs (another story altogether) and shut down his channel; I choose not to. I have the option to expose him for all that he has done and hold him accountable in the public eye; I choose not to.

In time the truth will be realised and those who've made moral judgement based on conjecture and rumour, will have to face the cold stare in the mirror eventually.

''It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me.''

3. Nolly introduced Derya of The Safety Fire and I to this 'tabooed' recording technique a few years ago proclaiming that The Faceless and Veil Of Maya had implemented it on their latest records with great success. This technique has a particular sound and has become commonplace within the community for a variety of purposes. Everyone from Necrophagist to Animals As Leaders has done it and no one is feeling guilty for it.

Those so-called 'musicians' who enforce the completely erroneous notion that technical music must be recorded 'traditionally' to be valid are missing the point completely. This is music; not sports and the less we focus on trivial athleticism the more we can focus on creating and sharing the true essence of why we're all here.

4. @Bulb - I do not know you and you do not know me. I find your involvement and timing in this discussion highly suspect.

‘’I know this because I have definitely experimented with that kinda stuff and it has a very particular sound’’

‘’The technical parts on the first Periphery record were all recorded like 'that'’’ - Nolly.

''But when doing my playthrough, I wanted people to hear what my Strandberg actually sounds like, so I played it through an amp in one take, filmed that/used the audio from that and not the audio from the album, sure it's not perfect but neither am I, and that's okay.''

The point is valid but it's clear you are trying to belittle me in order to raise your own esteem.

''Again, the argument is not for those tricks in the studio, but in fact using the halfspeed/one note at a time album audio over a video supposedly showcasing a guitar's tone and playing, but subsequently denying that fact and claiming that it is live.''

See #1

‘’…so as long as the drummer plays well (their old drummer Craig is incredible’’

It’s clear that you’ve been acquainted. See preface.

‘…you could technically slop it up and still sound pretty tight overall haha!’’

Wouldn’t this be the same as everyone in your band being tight but you?

''Guitar Pro Songs''

You are an idiot for this statement alone.

''Of course, if you come clean about it there is no issue,''

See #1.

''..it is lying that gets to me personally..''

Hold on to this thought.

''..the deleting of comments calling them out etc.''

See #2.

''I don't even care if the video was mimed, I care that they tried to claim that it wasn't and were very vigilant with deleting any comments that brought the truth forward.''

See #1 & #2

''Basically I am saying that you shouldn't lie. I know, I am old fashioned like that, but I don't think it's right.''

So.

You've stated on numerous occasions that Matt Halpern played in the drums on an electric kit on Periphery's first record, yet our mutual friend informed me that this a LIE and it was all programmed from the onset. A convenient and fool proof LIE if only not for the gossiping tendencies of your new bassist.

Double standards? Hypocrisy? Self-righteousness? You decide.

Like I said, I do not know you and you do not know me. We met once and it was pleasant. Why you felt the need to sink to such depths is beyond me.

You are a 27/28-year-old human adult with talent and success. There’s no need for this kind of behavior.

In future I advise you to refrain from addressing others from that high horse of yours, as it will significantly increase the chances of you falling off and being trampled on.

5. @Maniacal

''I was at that gig, they played to a track that had another guitar playing on it. They did this for the entire Decap tour.

Upon close inspection what I could hear was the play along track.''

Perhaps you were on the wrong side of the room. Perhaps my amp wasn't balanced with the PA. Perhaps the sound engineer let us down. Who knows. The point here is that the track is a 'very tight guitarist' and I have to match it.

6. Thank you to everyone else for the support and not getting caught up in the nonsense. Let’s focus on the sonic adventure ahead and not let Chinese whispers divide us.

Good luck and good night.

Wow! WTF!?!?

This is a fucking forum that brings us together to discuss our love of music and conjure and share ideas! Not fucking slander everyone and each other and insist that some are better than others. But I guess that is basic man instinct and what forums turn people into.......

Why can't we all just chill out and discuss music in a positive aspect and not be assholes? Thanks for clearing the air by the way, HAARP. :yesway:

This one thread is sickening and filled with bullshit, lies, hypocrisy, retardation, ignorance, stupidity, slander, accusatory comments, and other garbage. (this is my first post in this specific thread, after twenty-two pages, and I was excited for the new HAARP album when I found this thread!.......but this thread discouraged me and just destroyed my idea that it would be a good, reliable source of info for the album. Looking back, it's like a fucking boxing match, or bitching match online.)

Now can we please end this and go back to discussing the music, the album? Release date announced?