The HAARP Machine Megathread

Al Mu'min

Reaction score
With all due respect, but at some point you have to become self-aware my dude :)

What lead you to conclude that I'm not self aware?

Ehh, that's really the impression I get, I can't help it.

That's the thing, there are some moments when I think you level well with reality, but the whole "I'm a creative talented guy and people should know their place and those who attack me only do it because they're jealous" elitist shtick just rubs me off the wrong way.

To each his own. As far as opening up and introducing myself in a long form format + catching up on several years I think it achieves what I was going for which was simply an introduction in my own words. If it was just about the music... I wouldn't have.

it's alright to poke just to see where people are at (if it's just that).

As far as I can tell... self awareness isn't something achieved overnight and is a continual process of peeling back the layers and updating with new information - pass a point at least. So if that's your point then safe - man will continue!

Do you consider yourself self aware?

Al Mu'min

Reaction score
Genuinely curious: What should he have written instead so you take it as proper criticism and not as "wasteman-like insult"?

well... there's several jabs here which I'd have to address individually to articulate why they were received as jabs over criticism - which is fine (if it's just that).

Criticism could be something like 'some good parts in this though it comes across as narcissistic so I'd dial that in'.

Exchanger

Reaction score
Do you consider yourself self aware?

Yes. Probably too much even to the point I don't dare to try things out unless I have a bulletproof plan and it becomes crippling sometimes.
So you could say "well, at least I tried, failed sometimes, but also got some success so I'm ahead of you there", and you wouldn't even be so wrong.
The gripe I have is more about how you handle failure afterwards, blaming on circumstances, the toxicity of the scene (which can be a thing, granted), the lack of active sexuality...if that's not code for "haterz are virgins lol" I don't know what it is.
In our individualistic western societies, we're incited to internalize things too much ("if you're jobless it's your fault and your fault only, if you're rich it's because you worked hard and has nothing to do with social origins or circumstances"), but on the other hand, always putting the responsibility on external causes is also deluded and unfair in general. Now, you do aknowledge a lot, you say you're re-evaluating things, it's an ongoing process, and I started by mentionning that. It's just that you always add these little 'jabs' yourself, and it tends to put the sincerity of the whole thing in doubt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
well... there's several jabs here which I'd have to address individually to articulate why they were received as jabs over criticism - which is fine (if it's just that).

Criticism could be something like 'some good parts in this though it comes across as narcissistic so I'd dial that in'.

His observations are a reflection of the content you dropped, if you want to leave a better impression you have to make choices to present yourself in a way to achieve that.

Like interviewing for a job, there's no real correct way to do it. Every single thing about you tells a story to the person meeting you for the first time. It'd be unreasonable to think a guy who shows up on time with loads of experience, a humble attitude, and well mannered is a pretentious prick. But if you bathe in your self awareness and meme on yourself (?) while historically coming off as serious at the same time, then what can you really expect?

No one's asking you to go on camera with a script and a suit and read off a newsletter update on your band. Just do you without all the wokeness and exposition, or don't it's your choice. Just keep your expectations in-line for reactions based on the content you create.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Al name dropped Mike and Travis from Darkest Hour and confessed his true love for metal, that got me all fuzzy inside. I may not agree with all of his personal and business choices, but I do respect his love for metal. When he spoke of that I remembered why we are all here bitching about this.. we're obsessive over this style of music. Bunch of nuts we are.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Y'know what they say about throwing the ball in (American) football: many things can happen as a result, most of them bad... same goes for attempts at fan engagement.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Some days I feel like I should just try to get my stuff out there, regardless of how cringey it might be, because, what if there is an audience out there for it?

I'm not talented at guitar, really, but I tryand I'm passionate about it. I have a lot of ideas, but they aren't necessarily good. But I try and I'm passionate about it. I love metal and I love music in general, so why not put myself and my music out there? What's the worst that could happen?

Well, I guess this thread answers that question. :(

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Some days I feel like I should just try to get my stuff out there, regardless of how cringey it might be, because, what if there is an audience out there for it?

I'm not talented at guitar, really, but I tryand I'm passionate about it. I have a lot of ideas, but they aren't necessarily good. But I try and I'm passionate about it. I love metal and I love music in general, so why not put myself and my music out there? What's the worst that could happen?

The takeaway point should be don't be a narcissistic prick and pretend you can play shit you really can't. Moomoo has an ego way too big for someone who's basically a fucking blip on the tech metal scene at this point.

Aumann

Reaction score

It doesn't. And that's why i question Al's self-awareness. It's not that he failed per se. It's how he handles it and how he reacts to it

You can humbly accept you fucked up and apologise. Or you can completely butcher a big slot on a festival and then accuse everyone of having a small penis and lack of sex when they call you out. (leaving out the fake playing stories from beforehand and aleged attitude towards bandmates etc...)

He chose the latter unfortunately so he'll feel the backlash for it. And to Al: if you then have to ask me why i think you are not very self aware, you kind of prove my point.

When you receive fans' money and you take up big slots on anticipated festivals it's your job to deliver quality. If you then insult them for rightfully calling you out, you get them angry.
It's quite simple imo.

And i don't say this to flame anyone. It would just be cool for you to realise why the hostility is there to begin with, as it would gain you quite a bit of respect instead of contempt.

j3ps3

Reaction score
The first album was great and I would've loved a follow-up for that. That's why I've been checking this thread, in hopes of new music from the HAARP, but at this point. I don't really even care anymore. Too much drama and too much promises about new music with no actual delivery. And when there's no new music, it seems like it's only the drama that is left and that is in fact quite off-putting.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Imagine if Al was fine to work with and Mike & Co stayed around we could have 2-3 more albums by now.

He has it in him to write a follow up album but he's not doing himself any favours constantly going through lineups and making non music content like this.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
Best ignore him and let him continue to fade into obscurity. Once the last few well meaning promoters give up on giving him undeserved opportunities his 3 remaining fans will as well. :yesway:

Al Mu'min

Reaction score
Yes. Probably too much even to the point I don't dare to try things out unless I have a bulletproof plan and it becomes crippling sometimes.
So you could say "well, at least I tried, failed sometimes, but also got some success so I'm ahead of you there", and you wouldn't even be so wrong.

This comes across as trait neuroticism i.e. sensitivity to fear which is different to self awareness.

We can either keep our muchness tucked away for no one to hear or we can nudge each other to chill out and be more open to receive what people have to offer.

[QUOTE=''The gripe I have is more about how you handle failure afterwards, blaming on circumstances, the toxicity of the scene (which can be a thing, granted), the lack of active sexuality...if that's not code for "haterz are virgins lol" I don't know what it is.
In our individualistic western societies, we're incited to internalize things too much ("if you're jobless it's your fault and your fault only, if you're rich it's because you worked hard and has nothing to do with social origins or circumstances"), but on the other hand, always putting the responsibility on external causes is also deluded and unfair in general. Now, you do aknowledge a lot, you say you're re-evaluating things, it's an ongoing process, and I started by mentionning that. It's just that you always add these little 'jabs' yourself, and it tends to put the sincerity of the whole thing in doubt.''[/QUOTE]

How I handle failure? hmm... before going further I ask you to review what your true intention is in asking this question. Do you want to see me fail? Or do you want to understand? You can see things through negative lens and only notice the negative or you can see things the other way and observe the positives. The negatives are abundantly clear ... the positives are that I took control of my destiny, worked relentlessly in developing a new skill set in 6 months and moved forward with courage despite the odds (to name a few... it's been great emotionally and spiritually).

Me replying on a post with some thoughts is just that; some thoughts. It feels like... people have difficulty with accepting some positive life changes I've made for myself and need to 'hold me in a cell' to cope with it.

Granted, putting all the pressure on one show was dumb... We should've done a handful to ease the pressure off. Look at your favourite djent bands; how many times have they been rubbish live? Mike, Spencer, Myke, etc. The frame people are running with is that metal vocalists have set such a high standard and my vocals are the absolute worse which is false.

As far as first shows goes it is what it was - I'm taking home the balls of steel award regardless :imnew:

''His observations are a reflection of the content you dropped...''

Not trying to leave any impression just turning up so at least the other side is heard for people to make up their own minds with sufficient data.

Historically the information has been wholly one sided... If I had done this from day one the 'picture' of who Al is wouldn't have settled the way it has.

Nuance people... When things got difficult back in the day I reached out to several managers to help; Sumerian said no 'we got this' and off we went. Had we had a manager to hold court and keep the emotions managed the Disclosure line up may have survived and flourished. C'est la vie.

At the end of the day, I'm gonna do my thing and keep things moving. You don't have to like it. You can frame things however you want. My expectations are zero. The same freedom that allows you to share your thoughts and feelings is there for me also so yeah...

NEW MUSIC SOON:mike:

Last edited:

Aumann

Reaction score
So you don't give two shits about fans who gave you money to see jack shit result. It's about your freedom to deliver crap.

You go on stage without any singing skill and then you try to point the finger and say others have been crap yet set the bar so high?

Yeah. No self-awareness whatsoever.

Musiscience

Reaction score
So you don't give two shits about fans who gave you money to see jack shit result. It's about your freedom to deliver crap.

You go on stage without any singing skill and then you try to point the finger and say others have been crap yet set the bar so high?

I was about to make another attempt at third rate humor, but you guys need to realize that you can't argue somebody out of mental illness. It's pointless.

bulb

Reaction score

I don't try to indulge in Schadenfreude, I don't think it's healthy. But goddamn sometimes life just delivers it, doesn't it?

akinari

Reaction score
617FS6U4StL._AC_SL1080_.jpg