The "I use to use Jazz Picks" Thread

• Thread starter Lasik124
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lasik124

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So like many people some time ago, I hopped on the Whole Jazz III revolution and was amazed and how much I loved them. How I couldn't play with out them, and how much my alt picking improved.

Last week I somehow stumbled over a Fender(Medium) 551, Which is a Sharp tip Fender pick and Can't believe how much my playing improved in one day. From Picking(Especially Economy) Attack And tone, To overall comfort while playing. I feel completely inspired to play more...All because of a pick. I suppose the transition was easy due to the sharp tip, Which I need and love. :yesway:

So anyway, I'm surely not the first, I've had My teacher back home Say the same thing, As the person who turned me on to jazz picks! And quit using them after 3 years, As well as Chris Storey(Another teacher of mine) And more recently one of my teachers at MI who used them for a long time himself.

I can't quite re-call but I believe I used them for about three to four years?
I feel everything feels better now without them, But if you asked me a month ago I swore by them!

Anyone else have a similar story?

Thanks for reading! :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crystalmt

Reaction score
I just started using the jazz 3 for jazz and metal playing I love them. How are you able to do fast alternate picking with medium picks? Aren't they too floppy?

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
I go through phases of them, recently changed to James hetfield black fangs, which are really cool. But I do still pick up my jazz 3 max grips from time to time, especially if I'm cleaning up technique which has gotten a little lax or something.

Hallic

Got T.I.N.G?
Reaction score
i got jazz III pitch blacks 1,14 plectrums. improved my accurateness a lot! i can't even play play good on the big ones anymore

Phlegethon

Reaction score
I don't use one kind of pick all the time, it usually goes between dunlop gatorgrip 2 mm and these dunlop tortex jazz heavy picks that I don't know the thickness of right now. I switch from time to time to make sure I'm not too comfortable when learning or practicing any mechanics of guitar playing. it's a rather useful thing to do if you want to keep yourself on your toes

snowblind56

Reaction score
I use the Eric Johnson Jazz III's. I guess they are made out of a slightly different plastic than the normal red ones. The only time I use something different is playing acoustic, and for those I love the ones that come with Bare Knuckle pickups.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
Just recently switched to the Dunlop T3's. Awesome picks. I just can't go back to Jazz III's now, even though I used them for years.

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score
I used to use them too, for a while.

But then I thankfully decided to just man up and use regular size picks again. Sure, the fast stuff took some practice, but I'm a hard picker and that doesn't come through well with little girly plectrums :lol:

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
I started using the carbon fiber max grips recently and love them. Before those I used the green Dava control picks for years.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
Used the Jazz III blacks for years, now I'm completely in love with the Ultex Jazz IIIs. Better tone IMO but with the same familiar and comfortable feel, people have complained that they don't grip as well as the regulars but I've found that they grip better for me :scratch:

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I use red and black Jazz III, I'd love to switch to Ultex Jazz III but can't find any over here...

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
i just started using dava control picks. dont understand i played before.

adrock

long ball larry!
Reaction score
it's hilarious that some Jazz pick users are posting in a thread for people who used to use Jazz picks...

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
it's hilarious that some Jazz pick users are posting in a thread for people who used to use Jazz picks...

I figured it was to talk about people who used to use the traditional red or black ones. The Fender 551 is basically the same shape but a different material as well and this is the plectrum the OP referred to as being his change over, I assumed mentioning things in that shape was still cool :)

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
also may be helpfull to anyone using jazz picks looking for something different.

Wyldefan916

Reaction score
I started using Jazz III's earlier this year and liked them, but it just started getting annoying how small the pick is. I have short stumpy fingers, which you'd assume is a good fit for these picks, but when I'd hold it "comfortably" I'd barely have enough pick to use. about 2 months ago I switched to the Dunlop 1.14 sharpies. Absolutely love them.

jordanky

Contributor
Reaction score
I have used the Jazz III Eric Johnson picks for the better part of the last three years, but I've gone through phases where I've used Ultex Jazz III's, the Pitch Black Tortex Jazz III .88's, and Planet Waves Ice Black Heavies, but ultimately I end up deviating back to the EJ picks, they are just perfect for me.

Gryphon

Reaction score
I used to use them (for many years), but have ditched them for the Tortex Sharps, started with 1.50 mm and now experimenting with the 0.88 mm. Nice to have a full size pick, and I've always prefered the sound of tortex.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been using "small picks" for nearly seven years now and don't see myself going back to the boat oars that some use. Even when I used the "standard" sized picks I always held them so that just a milimeter or two of the pick tip was exposed. When I used larger picks, the blunt end wound up pressing rather uncomfortably into the meat of my first finger in between the 2nd and 3rd knuckle.

Like many others I hit up Gravity Picks for a freebie, and so far I'm really digging the 3mm Striker Mini. It has the mass and attack of a larger pick, but the smaller size and beveled edges of the Dunlop 2mm Stubby I was using before. A best of both worlds kinda pick. I'm probably going to go ahead and order a 3mm Razer Mini for something with a pointier tip.

Lasik124

Reaction score
. How are you able to do fast alternate picking with medium picks? Aren't they too floppy?

Surprisingly not, It has just the right amount of give, Which I'm not used to but love :yesway:

I figured it was to talk about people who used to use the traditional red or black ones. The Fender 551 is basically the same shape but a different material as well and this is the plectrum the OP referred to as being his change over, I assumed mentioning things in that shape was still cool :)

The Thread is open to anything! :agreed: And I'm going to for sure try out some of the picks people are bringing up!

I guess all I was going for, No matter the brand would be Going from One of the small Jazz Picks, To a Regular size pick.

For me, for years I couldn't play anything but the small jazz picks. Its come full circle and I can't believe after playing guitar for so long I never thought. It wasn't so much the size,But the sharp tip that Appealed :lol:
I've been enjoying these picks a lot more!

Oh, And if a mod cares to edit it, I totally forgot the D in used in the thread title. :nuts: