The "I use to use Jazz Picks" Thread

• Thread starter Lasik124
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sicstringzen

Reaction score
Picks are funny like that. You get really attached to what you first learn with, for me that was Fender light and medium picks. Once I started doing more alternate picking I preferred a heavier 1mm dunlop pick. I found a red Jazz III lying around somewhere, maybe at school? Tried it and liked it a lot because I would usually choke up a lot on big picks and with the smaller pick I didn't have to. It was a couple years before I bought a pack of pitch black Jazz III's and started using them exclusively. After a year I tried Ultex and switched to those. Lately I'm playing a good old fashioned 1.14mm Tortex pick and finding that I play better with it over the Jazz picks although I still use them occasionally depending on what sound I'm going for. Live I would tend to drop Jazz picks a lot I guess just because there's less to grip on to, I did find them more articulate overall. The pick you use changes the way you pick so I think using small picks just forces you to become more accurate in general so when you switch back to big picks they seem better but in reality you are better.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Goatfork

Reaction score
I used black Jazz IIIs exclusively for about 5 years, but I recently switched over to the Dunlop Ultex Sharps 2.0mm almost entirely.

I've noticed that no matter which pick I'm using, I'm only really holding on to a sliver on the edge of the pick. To put in in perspective, I only really hold on to about the same amount of pick that hits the string, just that little 2 to 3mm part in the end. I hold on to it really, really tight and somehow it works just fine.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
That's really funny... I've been talking so much shit about how I hate Jazz IIIs... Yesterday I tried the Dunlop Tortex Jazz pick... the M3, I believe it is... I'm kinda on its nuts... :lol:

AvantGuardian

Orange Vigilante
Reaction score
I started using Jazz III's earlier this year and liked them, but it just started getting annoying how small the pick is. I have short stumpy fingers, which you'd assume is a good fit for these picks, but when I'd hold it "comfortably" I'd barely have enough pick to use. about 2 months ago I switched to the Dunlop 1.14 sharpies. Absolutely love them.

They actually make full size Jazz III picks called the Jazz III XL:

Dunlop Manufacturing :: Guitar Picks :: :: Jazz III XL

I've been using these for awhile now because I love the Jazz III point, but didn't really like the small picks for rhythm guitar stuff. Now if only they'd make ultex versions of the XLs...

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
They actually make full size Jazz III picks called the Jazz III XL:

Dunlop Manufacturing :: Guitar Picks :: :: Jazz III XL

I've been using these for awhile now because I love the Jazz III point, but didn't really like the small picks for rhythm guitar stuff. Now if only they'd make ultex versions of the XLs...

I just ordered those about a month ago. They don't feel as smooth to me as the Regular Jazz III's... seems like theres more tug when you alternate pick and I don't feel as powerful as a regular pick when downpicking. They seem a bit too thick in comparison to the normal black Jazz III pick. I dunno, it def took some getting used to but even then I felt like my Clayton Black Raven picks I could do palm mutes and chugs easier :shrug: They do seem like a decent medium between regular Jazz III and normal picks but I expected them to feel like a reg Jazz pick more than they did :spock: I'll pick up a normal one after playing these XL and it's just faster in alternate picking :shrug: Also string tension plays a difference... tighter strings help the XL's IMO... looser strings were way easier with others.

I want to try the black carbon fiber jazz III's now...

GRUNTKOR

- GRANKOR
Reaction score
I used Jazz III XLs for a bit but I went back to normal tortexes, the green and yellow ones. I'm happy with those

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I started using the carbon fiber max grips recently and love them. Before those I used the green Dava control picks for years.

I've been using the Carbon Fibers since they came out; the things are amazing. I've tried a few other types since I started using them, including the new Black Fangs and T3s and nothing tops the Carbon Fibers. I don't even play lead, so I keep having these thoughts that Jazz III type picks shouldn't work for me but these things are just better than anything else I try.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I've been going between the ultex jazz IIIs and ultex sharps lately, pretty much using what I have lying around, and I love them. While I do prefer the sharps, the jazz is good, too. And yes, I used to use the regular jazz IIIs.

Lasik124

Reaction score
Aren't Fender 551s jazz picks?

I'm not really sure, Perhaps I need some clarification here.

By jazz Picks I meant the "Small" Picks.

But then again, What exactly defines a Jazz Pick? Perhaps I'm thinking of it wrong...And I think I am...Ha. Someone care to enlighten me? :)

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not really sure, Perhaps I need some clarification here.

By jazz Picks I meant the "Small" Picks.

But then again, What exactly defines a Jazz Pick? Perhaps I'm thinking of it wrong...And I think I am...Ha. Someone care to enlighten me? :)

I think jazz picks come in 2 varieties, the small teardrop shape and the larger "jazz" shape (which is still significantly smaller and sharper than a standard pick). I haven't tried a Fender 551 myself, but it just looks like a celluloid jazz pick. :shrug: Hold it up to your Dunlop Jazz pick. If it's about the same size and shape, then you just went from one jazz pick to another, and ironic thread is ironic. :lol:

Lasik124

Reaction score
I think jazz picks come in 2 varieties, the small teardrop shape and the larger "jazz" shape (which is still significantly smaller and sharper than a standard pick). I haven't tried a Fender 551 myself, but it just looks like a celluloid jazz pick. :shrug: Hold it up to your Dunlop Jazz pick. If it's about the same size and shape, then you just went from one jazz pick to another, and ironic thread is ironic. :lol:

Haha, Well The size is definitely different. The Dunlop Jazz pick is way smaller. The Fender also has a sharper Tip, And more Give. It is the size of a "Regular" pick

Hell If i Know :lol: I suppose what we need here is for someone to come in here and define a jazz pick for me :agreed:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I suppose what we need here is for someone to come in here and define a jazz pick for me :agreed:

Like most names in this industry it comes down to who marketed/named it first, in this case Dunlop.

Had Dunlop used a more numeric system like Fender it'd probably be called by a group of numbers.

There is no one pick designed for Jazz.

groph

Reaction score
A couple of years ago I tried one of the standard black Jazz III's in a store and they felt completely revolutionary and I was hooked on them, mostly because they felt so much more maneuverable.

Then earlier this year I tried a 2mm Dunlop standard size pick and realized that Jazz III's absolutely pale in comparison to the bone crushing attack I can get with a 2mm pick.

edsped

Reaction score
I'd been using jazz picks for years, mostly Jazz III variants. Then sometime last year or the year before I started using 1.14 Ultex Sharps and fell in love with them; they became my new standby picks as I always seem to go back to them. Every now and then I'll feel like using jazz picks again, like lately I've been using some of the .80mm Clayton Spike jazz picks.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Then earlier this year I tried a 2mm Dunlop standard size pick and realized that Jazz III's absolutely pale in comparison to the bone crushing attack I can get with a 2mm pick.

Give the Carbon Fibers a try. :hbang:

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Can a mod PLEASE OH GOD PLEASE fix the massive grammatical error in the title of the thread!

It actually hurts me inside.