The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Hopefully it wasn't already answered in this thread, but are there any noticeable drawbacks as far as using the Studio with the built-in attenuator? I've heard that using attenuators, whether it's the internal one in the Studio model or a Hotplate or whatever, will color your tone in a not-great way. I live in an apartment and I'm seriously considering the Studio precisely because it doesn't need a cab. Thanks :)

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
The Watts knob on my 60H is not like any attenuator I've owned, it's more like a perfected master volume. :lol:

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Picked up an Ironheart IRT Studio. Loving it so far :) Can't believe it comes with a carry bag, footswitch and three channels for the insanely low price hey. It's a great, great amp!

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Picked up an Ironheart IRT Studio. Loving it so far :) Can't believe it comes with a carry bag, footswitch and three channels for the insanely low price hey. It's a great, great amp!

Very nice! Congrats on the purchase!

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
just bought an IRT Studio at zzounds. Can't wait until it arrives! I'm excited!! I'm going to use it with my Pod HD500 via 4 cable method and my Genz Benz GFlex 2x12 cab. I'm also going to try it without the Pod with my Bad Monkey TS clone pedal and Ge-7 graphic eq as well.

Stijnson

Reaction score
Hello Laney irt owners, I am in need of some advice! I'm considering purchasing a IRT studio and selling my pod HD500, and I know I wouldnt be the first guy to do this. Im pretty sure this thread has some guys in it who used to have the POD Hd aswell. Ive basically been using only amp VST's instead of the POD but Ive always wanted to go tube ofcourse.

Now my main wondering is if I will like the character of the amp. I always liked amps with 6L6's the most, and Id never imagine buying an EL34 one for example. Now I know the IRT studio has the EL84's, but whats the character of the amp like? The demo's on youtube might not be doing it justice. Can it get that really tight, agressive with a lot of attack ,and punchy modern metal sound that I am after? Most demos I hear it sounds a bit too fuzzy and warm, not alot of attack and it has this 'old school' metal vibe to it. I only have the option to try out the 2x12 combo, which has 6L6's and completely different speakers, since Ill be using it with IR's. So I really need some advice! Thanks for any help in advance!

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Hello Laney irt owners, I am in need of some advice! I'm considering purchasing a IRT studio and selling my pod HD500, and I know I wouldnt be the first guy to do this. Im pretty sure this thread has some guys in it who used to have the POD Hd aswell. Ive basically been using only amp VST's instead of the POD but Ive always wanted to go tube ofcourse.

Now my main wondering is if I will like the character of the amp. I always liked amps with 6L6's the most, and Id never imagine buying an EL34 one for example. Now I know the IRT studio has the EL84's, but whats the character of the amp like? The demo's on youtube might not be doing it justice. Can it get that really tight, agressive with a lot of attack ,and punchy modern metal sound that I am after? Most demos I hear it sounds a bit too fuzzy and warm, not alot of attack and it has this 'old school' metal vibe to it. I only have the option to try out the 2x12 combo, which has 6L6's and completely different speakers, since Ill be using it with IR's. So I really need some advice! Thanks for any help in advance!

Look into Ola's demo. Nothing old school there. Tons of attack, very aggressive, and sounds extremely awesome.

jrstinkfish

Reaction score
I just bought one off the Marketplace here, should arrive Wednesday. I sold my Ironheart 120 about 6 months ago, partly because it was just too big and heavy for my needs, and partly because I wanted something new. A few amps later, I'm back to an Ironheart :) Wish I had just kept the 120, it's such a versatile amp, but even though I love the handles, it's a backbreaker to tote around just to jam with friends.

Stijnson

Reaction score
Look into Ola's demo. Nothing old school there. Tons of attack, very aggressive, and sounds extremely awesome.

nope, actually, i can get a tone almost exactly similar to this one from my Studio:

Thick, powerful amd clear Killswitch Engage types of tones are also very feasable.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! But my question was really directed at the IRT Studio. The Ola clip is the head version with the 6L6's, which I do really like. But I'm basically wondering if the Studio will have a similar voicing as the heads, despite it having other tubes. I'm not really a fan of the British sound and am slightly afraid the studio will sound too british, and not agressive and modern american basically.

Stijnson

Reaction score
That was pretty f'in brutal, thanks! I played the 2x12 combo in my local shop today, sounded really nice actually. So I asked them to order the Studio for me and i'll be trying it out when they get it in. I made a deal with them to take the POD HD500 off my hands and I'll pay a little extra and get the irt studio. Expect a ngd next week! :)

jrstinkfish

Reaction score
Yesss, it has arrived! Spent my lunch break dicking with it, so far it's just as I imagined. The < 1 watt input is perfect for my home office. I've tried so many low-wattage amps since I sold my IRT120 and none have really done it for me.

Anyhoos, loving it, great to be back in the fold :) And kitteh approves, as you can see.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
congrats on the Laney. I just got my IRT Studio today and love it. Has anyone noticed a popping noise when switching to the clean channel with the footswitch? I also noticed the rhythm channel responds weird to the pre boost when I have it cranked. It makes it fart out a little. Hard to describe. Same thing happened when I used the Pod Hd 500 with the 4 cable method. I was able to fix that mostly though by messing with the fx block send. I have only noticed it on the rhythm channel, not the lead. Maybe I'm just trying too hard to look for things. I do really like the amp. Here is a tone test with it into my G Flex 2x12 cab

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/ericjutsu/laney-irt-studio-test[/SC]

Attachments

• 20141008_173020.jpg
    20141008_173020.jpg
    995.6 KB · Views: 6

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
just bought an IRT Studio at zzounds. Can't wait until it arrives! I'm excited!! I'm going to use it with my Pod HD500 via 4 cable method and my Genz Benz GFlex 2x12 cab. I'm also going to try it without the Pod with my Bad Monkey TS clone pedal and Ge-7 graphic eq as well.

Eric, nice straight-forward rig, man! (Referencing your last post.)

Also, my question to anyone on here: I also have the POD HD500 and the Laney IRT Studio. I've only been running the POD for FX in the loop, but now I want to integrate it more and I've been meaning to test out the 4CM.

So two questions:
1.) Benefits of the 4CM? What else does it offer?
2.) How do I go about setting my POD and IRT Studio up for it and connecting them? (I've got a nice 4-cable snake I purchased a few months back that has been sitting here...)

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
the benefits of the 4CM is being able to have control of where in the signal chain the effects are. You can put your distortion effects before the amp just like you would with real pedals and then put the time based effects or whatever in the fx loop. Just make sure you add the fx loop block on your pod hd and everything before it is before the amp and everything after it is after the amp in the fx loop. Here is a video showing how to connect it

ugh how do you embed you tube on this forum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmIbByDizyM

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
the benefits of the 4CM is being able to have control of where in the signal chain the effects are. You can put your distortion effects before the amp just like you would with real pedals and then put the time based effects or whatever in the fx loop. Just make sure you add the fx loop block on your pod hd and everything before it is before the amp and everything after it is after the amp in the fx loop. Here is a video showing how to connect it

ugh how do you embed you tube on this forum?

Fixed. ^

1.) Ok, so any latency issues?

2.) Also, I'm guessing I would not use any of the virtual amps on the POD unit and keep cab simulation off?

3.) Set the output to stack front or power amp or what?

4.) And one last question: what if I just wanted to run the POD off the IRT's power amp and bypass the pre-amp? (Shoot, I should've probably started asking this all in the POD HD Thread on here. Bah!)

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
you could run the pod hd into just the power amp of the Laney. I plug the pod hd output to the Laney's fx loop return. That will bypass the amps pre amp. I use the Pod HD studio/direct for the 4CM. You can try all the them though and see what works best for you. I do not use any amps or cabs with the 4CM. I havent noticed any latency. I just started using it today though but havent noticed anything yet. Do me a favor, if you have a cab try switching from your lead channel to your clean channel with the footswitch on your IRT Studio and see if you hear any pops. I notice loud pops when I try doing it but only when connected to a cab. Also, put it on your rhythm channel with the gain all the way up and then engage the boost feature with that gain all the way up and see if you hear anything strange like a farting out or broken speaker type sound. I have those issues on mine and one other person I have spoke with aswell.