The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

Wickedout2014

Reaction score
Hey there everyone. I have a my heart set on the Laney Ironheart IRT30-112 combo. First it was the Tony Iommi sig but for the money you get much more with the IRT30-112. Can I please get some opinions and insight on this amp. Might be pulling the trigger soon. Thanks everyone!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lewis

Reaction score
@TeeWX:

You're right :) the tracking is a bit sloppy and the differences between the three samples are quite subtile. I wasn't going for a different tonal character. The internal boost is only on 3,3 while the level of the OCD is set to about 1 o'clock. Therefore both are only adding a little bit of saturation. The internal boost focusses more on the low mids while the OCD gives you more gain in the mids, depending on the setting of the tone-knob. It's not acting like a tubescreamer on this example.

@Lewis:
i run my bass and middle pots pulled in Rythm&Lead-Channel

:hbang: nice :yesway: I have Bass and mids pulled on the Clean/Rhythm channel and bass, mids and treble all pulled on lead. But atm I really prefer the rhythm channel for everything so am only using that

punisher911

blah blah blah
Reaction score
Someone said Ironheart owners thread? Haven't yet decided on my eq settings. Still need to mess around with it.. I'm thinking the cab is a little bright for me. I'd like a little more bass out of it. V30s and GT12s in a X pattern.

tscoolberth

Reaction score
I have the IRT Studio

Just added an Ibanez TS9DX Overdrive to the mix .... the extra mode switch brings in a lot more lows .. blows the onboard boost away ... I have it running thru a new Jet City 112S cab with some sort of Eminence in there .. but it pales in comparison with my 7 year old combo which houses a Celestion Vintage 30. I may sell the combo & trade in the Jet City and get a 1x12 with a 30, but not sure if the Jet City just needs more hours on it.

Finality

Lurker
Reaction score
What cabs would you guys suggest using with the IRT studio? I had a b52 LG cab but I sold it and the b52 head I had for $350. I'm certainly a cab newby so I'm not so savvy with speakers and cab construction. I think celestion v30s sound pretty sick, but the cabs I've looked at with them are pretty expensive. I want to stick to what I got for the b52.

Otherwise, the small 1x12 cab that came with it sounds incredible! I was able to use my b52 cab to jam with my drummer, but that little cab ain't cut out for jamming even with it cranked up.

If it helps
Tones I like: Killswitch, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, newer Katatonia.

Kullerbytta

Newborn
Reaction score
What cabs would you guys suggest using with the IRT studio? I had a b52 LG cab but I sold it and the b52 head I had for $350. I'm certainly a cab newby so I'm not so savvy with speakers and cab construction. I think celestion v30s sound pretty sick, but the cabs I've looked at with them are pretty expensive..

See if you can get your hands on a used Avatar.
Harley Benton g212 Vintage is another option, they're dirt cheap... You'll get two v30's and a cab for the price of 2x V30's :lol:

nerdywhale

Reaction score
Well, I hadn't seen this thread before, but I like! Great tones, everyone! I'll be stealing some settings soon, methinks...

I've been an IRT Studio user for about 9 months now. I was running direct into an RCF or my DAW, but I recently picked up a Port City 2x12 when I started jamming again and took the below picture on my phone. Sorry for the plain quality.

Ignore the settings you see, that's after they got bumped around a bit, and I took the picture before I started playing/tweaking for the night.

I usually run the lead channel, with all controls straight up, around 12 or 1 o'clock. Dynamics and tone creep into the 1-2 o'clock bracket. I also run a Klone or Bad Monkey in front for a boost, and a Decimator G-string II in the 4CM to keep things TITE.

Just picked up a G-Major too. Haven't had a chance to plug it in and tweak yet, though.

rignew_zps65a76c31.jpg

Chuck

Reaction score
Got my IRT Studio today! So far I've just been running it through my Alto TS112a and it rules. The cabinet emulation is much better than expected, the reverb is excellent, the levels of gain is very good, the clean channel is great. So far I am very pleased. Can't wait to order an Avatar 1x12 next week.

Last edited:

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
IMO, the IRT Studio absolutely slays at bedroom levels. It's by far the best bedroom practice amp I've ever owned.

Chuck

Reaction score
^ what about bedroom volumes? congrats!

Yeah as deadsouth mentioned, it's great for bedroom volumes. Like I said I'm currently playing through an active PA so it controls the volume. I'm running into the 1w input and have the lead channel cranked all the way. Sounds gnarly.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Just a quick question to you other Studio owners.

Am I right in reading that to activate the internal dummy load, you just unplug the cable from the speaker out on the back of the amp? I'm pretty much 100% sure that's what I read in the manual, but I just had to ask because that's the complete opposite from what you're taught from day 1 with a tube amp, haha. It goes against everything I was taught.:lol:

Chuck

Reaction score
Just a quick question to you other Studio owners.

Am I right in reading that to activate the internal dummy load, you just unplug the cable from the speaker out on the back of the amp? I'm pretty much 100% sure that's what I read in the manual, but I just had to ask because that's the complete opposite from what you're taught from day 1 with a tube amp, haha. It goes against everything I was taught.:lol:

I believe the dummy load is always activated. I saw a video where the guy popped the lid on the IRT Studio and was looking in there and he said he noticed a quite large resistor which he thought was the dummy load.

But yeah I've been running mine for a couple weeks now just into an active PA, and it's been fine.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
Ok, I was wondering because I decided to finally try it with headphones and nearly drove myself insane looking for the dummy load "switch". :lol:

I feel a bit stupid now, but at I feel better having asked and gotten the opinion of someone who has done it already, haha. Thanks, man!

Scone

Reaction score
New Ironheart owner here. Just bought the 120w head. First impressions are good, loving the inbuilt boost with the rhythm channel. Hate the inbuilt reverb. Have only given it a spin for an hour or so, so once I have given it a proper go, Ill post a better review of it from my opinion.

Scone

Reaction score
You must be high :lol: the boost sucks and the reverb rules IMO

Can't say that I am! Using it through a shoddy behringer cab at the moment as I can't get my blackstar 4x12 Home from where I practice yet. Will sound completely different through that so I'm looking forward to trying it out properly. Hopefully it's just the bad cab I'm using at the moment, but does anyone find themselves pushing the gain to about 7 on the rhythm channel and using the boost to get a proper bite out of it?

Latest posts