The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

Chuck

Reaction score
I use the about 5-6.5 gain on the rhythm channel for high gain metal rhythms, I hardly ever use the onboard boost, instead I use a Green Rhino OD, works very well. I could put the gain at 4 and it would be enough but it sounds a bit fuller at 6ish

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nerdywhale

Reaction score
Tweaked my settings further last night, and I feel happy with what I've got:

settings_zpsd74e46a9.jpg

Volume at 5 gets me plenty loud through my 2x12. I'm competing with an Engl Blackmore and 4x12 and a drummer who hits like he means it.

With all buttons on the footswitch off, and my OD in front set to a clean boost, what you see is a pretty dry rhythm sound. Add reverb, and it adds life and gets a little airy.

Hit the Lead switch, and it get's a little fatter, beefier, wider. I prefer that sound, but the dry rhythm sound mentioned has its uses.

Hit the clean switch and that's what you get. Clean. :)

I don't use the onboard boost, as I don't feel it gives you any cut/EQ tweak that a boost should give.

I like that dynamics and tone in a fairly neutral position.

Last edited:

ShadowMullet94

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking at getting this after awhile for my first tube head, would this be a good choice? Ie been researching a ton and my dream head is probobly the blackstar series one 1046l6, but that's about 2k so I'd like something more professional than my setup now that will last me. But my main question is is the shared eq between clean and Rythem a bother? I havnt played an amp with a shared eq so I don't know, thanks!

lewis

Reaction score
I just bought a Pod HD Pro to partner with my 120watt Ironheart.

Is the effects loop on these amps Series or parallel?. It seems the pod works 100% with one and only 50% with the other type of efx loop? Im kinda hoping It isnt the 50% for me.

Anyone know which is which and which type of Efx loop the ironheart has?

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking at getting this after awhile for my first tube head, would this be a good choice? Ie been researching a ton and my dream head is probobly the blackstar series one 1046l6, but that's about 2k so I'd like something more professional than my setup now that will last me. But my main question is is the shared eq between clean and Rythem a bother? I havnt played an amp with a shared eq so I don't know, thanks!

Probably not, IMO.

The only time I find it a problem is if I'm dialling in a congested sounding rhythm tone (e.g. treble pot pulled out but run fairly flat, mids run high on the amp). When I do that my clean sound is a bit narrow sounding. But with general standard rhythm sounds I find the clean sound is pretty well balanced. I'd definitely recommend trying one before buying, but IMO the shared EQ is set up pretty well on the Ironheart.

lewis said:
Anyone know which is which and which type of Efx loop the ironheart has?

Series. It can be run at 0dbu, -10dbu or bypassed completely.

Just be aware that the only 'master' volume control on the amp is the watts control. If you decide to try bypassing the Ironheart pre to use a modelled one be aware you'll need to set the volumes accordingly on your patches to balance with the volume you're playing your Ironheart at.

lewis

Reaction score
as far as I know it's a series fx loop

Ok cool. What exactly is the difference between the 2 types of Efx loop and why would one type only give you 50% from the Pod and the other the full 100%?

nlaplante

Reaction score
It can be run at 0dbu, -10dbu or bypassed completely.

Mine currently is set to 0db. I use a TC Nova Delay and a MXR Zakk Chorus. I'm having a hard time keeping up with my buddy's Bugera 1990 volume-wise. We both have two 4x12 cabs. He's 120w and I have the 60w head. Could it be because those 2 units (TC delay and chorus) need to be run with the loop at -10db (which boosts the signal according to the manual) ?

rick_fears

Reaction score
I run a pod x3 live through the loop. Amp Send>ge-7>x3(gtr in),x3(mono out)>amp return. Works great. I keep the watts maxed, channel volume to relative volume, and use the pod expression pedal to adjust volume to taste.

guitarjere33

Reaction score
I just picked up the 60W head to go with my eminence loaded valveking cab.

I like it so far. It was a definitely a little complicated to figure out at first, and it didn't take long to realize the on board boost blows. I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't as high gain as everyone made it out to be. I expected to be able to dial in some KSE tones (found out they boost it with the maxon 808), but IMO the amp itself falls a little flat in the metal department. It lacks the saturation and gain needed to play KSE and Trivium stuff, so I ended up buying a tube screamer and couldn't be happier. With the drive on the tube screamer low and the amp gain on 7 it F***ing screams. Great saturation and gain to spare. It sucks that I have to pedal hop to get cleans now, but the tone is worth it. It is also a bit noisy with both, so it looks like I'll have to buy a decimater.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score

I like it so far. It was a definitely a little complicated to figure out at first, and it didn't take long to realize the on board boost blows. I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't as high gain as everyone made it out to be. I expected to be able to dial in some KSE tones (found out they boost it with the maxon 808), but IMO the amp itself falls a little flat in the metal department. It lacks the saturation and gain needed to play KSE and Trivium stuff, so I ended up buying a tube screamer and couldn't be happier. With the drive on the tube screamer low and the amp gain on 7 it F***ing screams. Great saturation and gain to spare. It sucks that I have to pedal hop to get cleans now, but the tone is worth it. It is also a bit noisy with both, so it looks like I'll have to buy a decimater.

You have to keep in mind that a lot of the gain comes from the power amps as well. Us irt-studio users have it easy lol

wheelsdeal

Reaction score
Here is my recently acquired 60w head with my EVH 412 limited edition.Sorry for the crap cellphone picture.

2nty1e0.jpg

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score

KSE has boosted every amp they've ever used, it's part of that sound. :lol: I think the Ironheart has enough gain to get metal without it, but yes it's very dry.

nlaplante

Reaction score
You have to keep in mind that a lot of the gain comes from the power amps as well. Us irt-studio users have it easy lol

^ this.

When the power tubes start cooking, the amp screams metal. With the TAD 6L6GC-STR duet, it adds a nice sizzling top end and the amp becomes less dark. I dig both its dark sound and its power tube cranked sounds tough.

Try this:

WATTS maxed, rythm channel very low, gain on 7. Amp sounds dark (at least in my oversized 2x12).

Now turn WATTS way down (9 o'clock) and adjust rythm channel volume to get the same volume you had before. Bingo, more highs, more bite, different tone.