The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

minusnine

Let's thrash, che!
Reaction score
Hey guys! Maybe you could give me some advice
I'm about to buy an Ironheart, but I don't know if I should go for the 60w or 120w version
I currently own a Valveking 112 50w combo. I'm doing some small gigs at the moment, and am having problems hearing myself when playing live, plus it's distortion is a little thin.
Are the IRT60H and IRT120H tonally different?
I like to crank up the volume to get a more aggressive tone, my guess is that the 120 would give me some trouble, since I always get my amp mic'd. I would have to put the volume up to a point where the mic is gonna compress as hell... right?
Could getting the 60 watts version and a bigger cab solve my hearing problem?
Say, the IRT60H plus an Orange Ppc-212ob 2x12 120 watts cab for example?
Sorry if I'm making any stupid assumptions, it's my first time moving from a combo to a head/cab :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
It could be how you position your cabs. Has your band tried reversing your cabs so they face behind the band? I was doing this with my band in hawaii, and we found we competed less for volume and space, and we're able get more satisfied results from the crowd.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
I got my IRT today! First thing I did was hook it up to my kemper and boy was I not disappointed. I was able to nail a tone that I am genuinely happy with in about 10 minutes. Very flexible unit that I am going to be loving to play with in the coming years.

skydizzle

Reaction score
No difference tonally, just power. I've used both but usually use the 60 Watt version just to drive the power section a little more.

Here's the rig I just used for Bloodstock Open Air 2014.

603711_10152608292020535_9089566394543586168_n.jpg

That's one hell of a rig!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
So, this may be something that I'll have to figure out/answer for myself, but has anyone tried modifying the onboard boost? I hate what it does as it is, but I'm pretty sure some small modifications could make it very handy.

My amp was a little too expensive to start going crazy inside of it though. I had considered building an overdrive right into it, but I never leave the house with my rig so it isn't worth risking lol I guess I'll just have to build myself a rackmount overdrive.

Thanks for reigniting my GAS Fretless ;)

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
So, this may be something that I'll have to figure out/answer for myself, but has anyone tried modifying the onboard boost? I hate what it does as it is, but I'm pretty sure some small modifications could make it very handy.

My amp was a little too expensive to start going crazy inside of it though. I had considered building an overdrive right into it, but I never leave the house with my rig so it isn't worth risking lol I guess I'll just have to build myself a rackmount overdrive.

I am probably one of the few who actually likes the way the boost on the IRT functions. Granted I use a JTV variax for the majority of the time and so it has weird interactions with all kinds of things that make it sound different.

For anyone interested in a Kemper profile of my IRT into Lasse Lammerts Mesa 4x12 cab, I have them now uploaded to the Kemper rig exchange under the names of IRT Studio Lead and IRT Studio Rhythm.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I am probably one of the few who actually likes the way the boost on the IRT functions. Granted I use a JTV variax for the majority of the time and so it has weird interactions with all kinds of things that make it sound different.

For anyone interested in a Kemper profile of my IRT into Lasse Lammerts Mesa 4x12 cab, I have them now uploaded to the Kemper rig exchange under the names of IRT Studio Lead and IRT Studio Rhythm.

Is there a way to get that cab profile in wav format?

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Is there a way to get that cab profile in wav format?

I've been trying to find a way to do this for awhile. The only thing I can think of would be to get of those IR making programs. If I can get one of those then I'd just have to set it up to go via spdif and I'd have a very nicely timed and well preserved IR.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
I've been trying to find a way to do this for awhile. The only thing I can think of would be to get of those IR making programs. If I can get one of those then I'd just have to set it up to go via spdif and I'd have a very nicely timed and well preserved IR.

Well I would like to have it if you pull it off. There's a discount in it for you ;) lol

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score

With the micro components and the way the board is laid out, I gave up on modding the boost at first glance. This is the area of the board, which has a metal cover, where the boost is:
IMG_20120323_085425_zpsf8b5a3e2.jpg

Easier to run an external one, IMO.

Pandamidian

Reaction score
I'm having this "issue" with my amp, I'm wondering if its something I can fix, the way i have it EQ'ed or something else. The issue is the channel volume for all three channels seems to become unbearably garbled after 6/7 limiting me to only using 60%-65% of the volume of the amp, and at band practice sometimes I need a bit more volume. Is this typical of this amp? All the guitars I use are active pickup equipped guitars. Does not seem to matter if the "Watts" control is 1 Watt or 60 Watts, I get the same Garbled mess after 65%. Headroom issue? I have swapped some tubes thinking it might of been that (V4 Preamp with a 12AX7 LPS, and I'm running EL34L's). Any tips on what might be my issue? Thanks!

Pandamidian

Reaction score
ill give that a shot thanks! i bought 3 lps tubes, but they seem like they may not be suitable for guitar amp applications? The tubes i have to choose from current are 3 ruby 12ax7ac5, 3 GT 12ax7LPS and a TAD ECC83. How of these which are the highest gain tubes?

nlaplante

Reaction score
Those are perfectly fine tubes. Well suited for guitar application. But in your case you want to increase headroom, so by putting a lower gain tube in the phase inverter you reduce the signal level sent from the preamp to the power amp, thus reducing power tube saturation.

Also, I think that at very high channel volumes, the phase interver tube might start to overdrive too.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Down the road, think about running 6L6s, because they break up later, and you might be able to squeeze a bit more headroom out of the amp.

Are you using the boost? If so, try with it off. I get some weird clipping with it, especially with high output pickups.

nlaplante

Reaction score
The onboard boost is not well suited to active pups imho. It reacts much better to with passives. With actives, I never run it above 3 (9 o'clock). With actives, it's generally on 5 (12 o'clock) for metal.

Pandamidian

Reaction score
Just tried 3 different 12at7's same results, i used a fulltone OCD, same result with it off. I Don't use the on-board boost, cannot stand it lol. I guess its just because its a 60 watt head, cannot turn it up past 6ish unless i want garble :(

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
Just tried 3 different 12at7's same results, i used a fulltone OCD, same result with it off. I Don't use the on-board boost, cannot stand it lol. I guess its just because its a 60 watt head, cannot turn it up past 6ish unless i want garble :(

This weekend, when the neighbors are out, I'll do some tests with my 60H. I usually leave the channel volumes on 4 though, and use the watts for volume, so I've never encountered this.