The Laney Ironheart Owners Thread

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HearGear

Reaction score
I got two Laney IronHearts 120H to, they sound awesome...

1554635_10152183458090964_3729095044555356729_n.jpg

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
This sounds really awesome.

Is there much post processing on the guitar sound? I'm just wondering how hard it is to get this kind of sound, I haven't really been impressed with the Ironheart clips I've heard until this one, and the one a few posts up.

This isn't me, I just found it when looking for Ironheart clips before I purchased my IRT Studio.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
It's what got me over the line :) and I now LOVE my IRT Studio. From a previous Axe FX 2 user as well :)

This is my current situation actually.

Axe FX II just delivered earlier in the week (at my parents house so I wont see it until saturday), but it would be much cheaper if I send it back and get the ironheart. And cheaper means I get to be more financially responsible and save more for a mortgage deposit.

As someone who owns one, would you say the tones in that clip are a fair representation of the ironheart? Or does it sound like theres alot of post production there?

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
I dialled in a great modern metal tone very quickly, and without an overdrive for my gig two days after receiving mine.

It's got a lot of Marshall/English characteristics that most modern amps don't have nowadays. It's a lot darker and had a a very marshall'esque full bodied dark tone to it. The breakup is quite satisfying. I've got most things dialled to the sevens and the gain just under halfway. Felt very, very comfortable complimenting our other guitarists 5150 on the night.

I'd safely compare it to what's possible with the likes of Blackstar, Splawn, modded JCM800s before comparing it to the likes of mesa, engl etc.

The mid gain overdrive is great, I've forgotten how satisfying it is to hear natural breakup. I had the volume on 6 and it filled out my stage sound perfectly.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Very interesting. Though I've always been more of a fan of the American/Recto type of sound rather than the British/Marshall type sound. Not that it isn't also awesome.

I think its gonna be one of those things I'm gonna have to try in person.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
okay so does anyone else on here have the problem I have with there Ironheart. Specifically the IRT Studio. It seems like if you run the input too hot, it farts out the amp and makes it sound kind of like a broken speaker of something. The boost function all the way up with high gain on the rhythm channel especially does this. I also tried running a distortion pedal(boss metalzone) in the clean channel to test the issue and the same thing happened. It sounds like it clipping the input. It's hard to describe but it sounds like its running through a broken speaker or something. I tried it both direct in with an impulse and through my cab.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
okay so does anyone else on here have the problem I have with there Ironheart. Specifically the IRT Studio. It seems like if you run the input too hot, it farts out the amp and makes it sound kind of like a broken speaker of something. The boost function all the way up with high gain on the rhythm channel especially does this. I also tried running a distortion pedal(boss metalzone) in the clean channel to test the issue and the same thing happened. It sounds like it clipping the input. It's hard to describe but it sounds like its running through a broken speaker or something. I tried it both direct in with an impulse and through my cab.

What you're describing is why I never use the onboard boost anymore. Stopped having that issue after switching to a pedal OD. How high were you running the output on that pedal? It just doesn't take well to really high input gain, IMO.

nlaplante

Reaction score
The onboard boost is usable from 0% to 50%. More than that and it farts. Try lowering it below 50% and adjusting channel gain.

The only time I use the boost above 50% is when I play my Tele on the clean channel and I want some grit.

EDIT: the boost is also very sensitive to pickup output. Eg: with my EMG 707 Agile Septor guitar, the boost starts to fart around 40%. With by Blackouts on my Schecter, it starts to fart at 30%. With my single coil Telecaster, it doesn't fart until ~80%.

nlaplante

Reaction score
Clean channel example. Warning! Un-metal content!

Squier Tele -> EHX East River Drive -> IRT60H -> Mooer Ana Echo (loop) -> 6505 4x12 -> SM57 clone

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/nlaplante/there-are-no-words-cover[/sc]

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
yeah I ran the pedals with the level all the way up. Although the lead channel takes my TS pedal fine which is mainly what I use anyways. It's just with the 4CM the amp doesn't respond as well when I use it's TS model. I was thinking it was the tubes as well. I am thinking about returning it for another one and maybe I won't have the problem anymore.

GoldDragon

Reaction score

I have the IRT60 and using too much boost definitely does add mud or causes tone to crap out. Its like you can't go beyond a combination of 12 between the gain and boost. You can go 7+7, 10+2, or 2+10, but if you go more than that it gets muddy.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Question for the Ironheart people. When you turn up the tone control, does it add hiss to your signal? Mine does.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
well I am going to go ahead and return it for another one to see if mine was faulty or it's just an inherent issue with the amp. It's just I've never seen a high gain amp that cant take pedals even on the clean channel.