The Les Paul thread

• Thread starter budda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
As a guy who lusts after a lot of LP's but has yet to ever own one... What distinguishes a '54 over other LP's? Prob a dumb question but gotta ask anyway.
The soapbar/staple pickups. I prefer a humbucker sound since I'm a metal head in the end, but the black soapbars looks cooler to me with a black LPC.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
More clarity with the P90, they will metal up too hehe (just not hum cancelling).

soliloquy

Reaction score
They do make p90's that are specifically designed for metal. I believe BK has a pair; EMGs too. And the latest Jared James Nichol's p90 is supposedly a noise canceling pickup?

Though plenty of videos on YT showcasing just how metal p90's can be

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Reaction score
I finally broken down and had some LPs refretted with jumbo wire, and I really wish I'd done it sooner. An LP with huge frets really seems to have been exactly what I was wanting. Has that LP sound and look but the playability of a more shredder-type guitar.

soliloquy

Reaction score
how did the refret process go? any gouges in the fret board? and stainless steel? also how did you hunt down a competent luthier for it?

its not a concern as of yet, but my Classic may need new frets if i play it regularly. It does have a thinner neck. Add jumbo frets to a thin neck kind of makes it feel more 'chunky' which i prefer. I may have to consider that in the near future
I finally broken down and had some LPs refretted with jumbo wire, and I really wish I'd done it sooner. An LP with huge frets really seems to have been exactly what I was wanting. Has that LP sound and look but the playability of a more shredder-type guitar.

cardinal

Reaction score
how did the refret process go? any gouges in the fret board? and stainless steel? also how did you hunt down a competent luthier for it?

its not a concern as of yet, but my Classic may need new frets if i play it regularly. It does have a thinner neck. Add jumbo frets to a thin neck kind of makes it feel more 'chunky' which i prefer. I may have to consider that in the near future
These were done by an assortment of people (Aperio, Glaser, Fat Cat Custom Guitars). All we're done well with stainless wire. It is difficult to find a competent luthier to do it without messing up the board etc, but each of these guys did a good job and would recommend them all. Wait times can be long.

Best bet might be to call around and just chat with potential luthiers to see who's up for it.

I did have another guitar refretted and it didn't turn out well (it was not by these three shops). I got the sense that he didn't really want to do it and I should have just found someone else at that point. But I wish he would have just declined.

rokket2005

Reaction score

You're a short hop from Ted Woodford who has become somewhat of a guitar repair youtube celebrity. From what he says on his videos he seems to be booked out through September of this year, but for anticipating anything a while out he seems to be a good option in the Toronto area.

Conversely, just watch a bunch of his videos and refret it yourself.

cardinal

Reaction score
Anybody with experience with both a 50s Standard and a Traditional. Is it a big difference?
I've owned a Trad and have looked over some of the new 50s at GC, and I think the Trads had taller frets. New Gibson frets seem very low to me. But I've not measured.

50s I think have thinner neck binding, which imho does look a bit cooler. Otherwise, I think they're the same thing.

soliloquy

Reaction score
I wish I had bought a Tribute while they still made them. :(
Tributes and LPJs are littering reverb, kijiji, and FBMP pretty frequently.

for what its worth, the LPJs can be bought at a fraction of the price. Tributes, for some reason range drastically in price.

Not too far off are the Studios

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Theres a refin? (No chequing and serial is on twice) 1954 custom at Capsule Music in Toronto if anyone wants to drop some coin. $10k usd ish.

soliloquy

Reaction score
Theres a refin? (No chequing and serial is on twice) 1954 custom at Capsule Music in Toronto if anyone wants to drop some coin. $10k usd ish.

there was a silver sparkle/flake Custom on FBMP (cant remember what year) earlier this week for about 7K

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
there was a silver sparkle/flake Custom on FBMP (cant remember what year) earlier this week for about 7K
Yeah its on gc too - 1983, part of a run? Series? Gibson did, and almost 11lb.

soliloquy

Reaction score
Yeah its on gc too - 1983, part of a run? Series? Gibson did, and almost 11lb.

cant seem to find the details any longer on that one.
found another on FBMP:
2014 Custom 'f'
its a light blue (faded denim type finish) with richlite board for $5750 CAD. It was at $7000 CAD

not what i'm looking for, but could be the right guitar for the right person

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
cant seem to find the details any longer on that one.
found another on FBMP:
2014 Custom 'f'
its a light blue (faded denim type finish) with richlite board for $5750 CAD. It was at $7000 CAD

not what i'm looking for, but could be the right guitar for the right person
Glad they realized its not a 7k guitar on the used market. Theres a lot of les pauls with hopeful pricing imo. And we wont know what they sell for.

The 60s standard i was considering is still up. Would talk you into it if I could haha.