The Les Paul thread

• Thread starter budda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Picked up a Crews LED Custom, which is a '57-style LPC (i.e., one-piece Honduran mahogany body, no top). Consensus seems to be that these fancier Crews are Terada-built.

It's the one in the middle
IMG-0378.jpg

Tenon is Gibson-like, not like the Navigator that runs to the back of the cavity and is seamless. No fret end binding. I measure the frets as Jescar 47095, which I think is what Heritage uses on the Core models and is the same height as the Navigator 47104.
IMG-0387.jpg

Came with some fancier Japanese-wound pickups. Some type of '57 PAF clone with NOS wire from the 50s.
IMG-0388.jpg

Fit and finish Id put on par with the Navigator other than the tenon and fret end binding. Both are cleaner builds than the Gibson.

For my money I'd rather have that than the Navigators. Every high-end Crews with the K&Ts has sounded much better than any other Navigator LP I've played.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
For my money I'd rather have that than the Navigators. Every high-end Crews with the K&Ts has sounded much better than any other Navigator LP I've played.
I'm very impressed with it. It does sound really good. K&T prices seem insane to be but I'm starting to really like these.

That Nav is very recent (2021 I think) and is a way nicer guitar than an older Nav that I had (from around 2004 I think). Fit and finish, weight, and neck shape are all so much nicer. The Nav does have a harder, more strident sound to it than either the Gibson or Crews.

cardinal

Reaction score

Do you have any experience with the LP types from g'7 Special or Bizen?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
@crik actual gibson or replica? Left out the whole back of the build :rant:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Do you have any experience with the LP types from g'7 Special or Bizen?

I've held a Bizen before, seemed quality but was mostly satin finish which is a real turn-off. I don't even like it on Hubers. It's just not the right way to go for an LP IMO. I don't know if they're made by the same people that make the MIJ Zemaitis stuff but it felt very similar and binding was done in a very similar way.

G'7 I've never tried or even remember seeing.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
@narad im with you on “why the fuck are Huber Orcas satin!?” Maybe Nik has mentioned it in a video i dunno.

Installed one set of SD90’s this morning. Forgot the string threads lower than Klusons (though I read it before) which is fun for the low B :lol:.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Took measurements of all 4 les pauls today.

Shocked the goldtop is the lowest action and relief (doom paul). Plan to shim the nut on the 96 to make it identical.

All pretty close in relief and action with .001” differences in action.

Doom paul time tonight :metal:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Doom pauls are set up, two A/B's for anyone who cares:

before nut shim on 96, wherein open strings were buzzing at preferred action:

after nut shim and setup:

wiretap

Reaction score
Update. Guitar arrived 3 weeks ago, and I only just got back from tour. Unfortunately, we have a UPS casualty.

IMG_5587.jpeg

Shop has been cool about a partial refund despite it being well past the reverb policy timeframe. I also went ahead and filed a claim with UPS although I don’t expect them to do anything, but worth a shot.

Friend of mine is the owner of a boutique guitar company and has already agreed to fix it for me, so no worries there. Luckily it’s already a relic’d guitar and will be getting a refinish anyways.

Here’s some other quick photos. The relic job is really well done (done by KLH who used to do a lot of custom Fender-type relic builds though I’m not sure if he’s running a business of it anymore), and friends of mine are already trying to convince me to not refinish it but as the third LPC in less than a year and bought for that explicit purpose, I feel like my wife’s patience with my frivolous guitar purchases would run out if I tried to convince her I needed a 4th one, haha..

IMG_5613.jpeg
IMG_5614.jpegIMG_5615.jpegIMG_5617.jpeg

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
@wiretap that sucks - so the original repair wasnt done well, since it broke again? Or is this in a different place? Packing job issue?

IIRC it's the shipper who has to file the claim, not the receiver. We need a stickied thread about filing shipping claims :ugh:.

Gonna be checking out this 93 while I decide which pedal I want to buy today:

img_0835-jpg.540873

wiretap

Reaction score
@wiretap that sucks - so the original repair wasnt done well, since it broke again? Or is this in a different place? Packing job issue?

IIRC it's the shipper who has to file the claim, not the receiver. We need a stickied thread about filing shipping claims :ugh:.

Gonna be checking out this 93 while I decide which pedal I want to buy today:

img_0835-jpg.540873

You actually CAN file a claim as the receiver. I notified the shop I would be doing so, so they are aware they may be contacted about it and are down to help. We will see if anything happens, though.

The top on that ‘93 is rad behind the bridge there.

wiretap

Reaction score
@wiretap Hope that resolves soon. Is that actual checking or was it part of the relic'ing? Looks gorgeous.

Gonna make the short drive down to Miami on Friday to drop it off for my friend to fix, so should be good to go very soon. And as far as the checking, I’m not sure, I would assume it was all mostly done during the relic process, it definitely looks pretty rad.

Last edited:

cardinal

Reaction score
Tell me about your Bigsby trems

I want to put a Vibramate on an LP or two.

How is the sustain? What saddles to you use? Does the bridge rock back and forth when you use the bar?

Latest posts