The "NAMM 2021" Thread

• Thread starter DrakkarTyrannis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Unlike Fender and Gibson, PRS has the luxury of being able to mess with these formulas without "ruining" them for the purists. I actually give credit to them for tweaking things as much as they do when they could probably get away with putting out the same old models with no changes. They aren't exactly reinventing the wheel but I do appreciate them trying to improve on things.

Make no mistake, all brands have traditionalists, PRS included.

Paul just doesn't let that get to him. I give him full credit for running PRS how it is.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Loving Lari's signature, what an awesome guitar. I am wondering about the pickup config on the Prestige AZS's though - no hate to Ibanez, I think these models are a great move, but wondering if we will see HSS on those in the future.

Reactions: LCW

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
New Julian Lage sig!!!

I know this isn't gonna be a "hit" on this forum, but I'm very excited for this. I've been mulling over a Collings I-30 as my big purchase for the year, but this much more unique. And Ron Ellis pickups? Yes please.

470-jl-2-lg.jpg

Last edited:

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
New Julian Lage sig!!!

I know this isn't gonna be a "hit" on this forum, but I'm very excited for this. I've been mulling over a Collings I-30 as my big purchase for the year, but this much more unique. And Ron Ellis pickups? Yes please.

470-jl-2-lg.jpg

Is that a gretsch jet model?

Halffarmer

Reaction score
Not my style of guitar but i've seen Julian Lage live (back when live concerts were a thing, been a year since the last one i've seen...), what a unbelievable guitar player. Made me almost buy a Telecaster some days after concert.
He deserves a siganture, to bad it's not a Tele;)

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
Julian is on another level, like “we’re lucky to have him playing the instrument” level.

Good god what a monster musician.

Collings...hell yes!

electriceye

Reaction score
I don 't get this argument.
They now have two Strat designs, an SSS and an HSS and both are signature designs, so an artist just wanted a strat from them.
I think it's more like people focus to much on these releases and ignore that PRS is constantly changing minor things on their customs, or the 594 series that sold so well they are doing S2s since last year in that scale length and so on.
Also, they are doing Singlecuts since the early 2000s?!

That being said, i don't care to much for their releases this year, but am ok with the two PRSs i allready own.
This year i'm in the market for something with a floyd rose. The Ibanez RG565s look very tempting.

PRS clearly has no problem selling every guitar they make, so I'm not worried about them, regardless of the people whining here (including my own criticisms).

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
They still need to move the volume knob.

I put a rubber washer under the volume knob on my Charvel and really crushed it in there. The volume knob now only turns if I grip it and turn it with two fingers.. volume swells are out of the question but it's an easy fix for a dumb control layout

asopala

Reaction score
They still need to move the volume knob.

I just replace it with a killswitch button. Now it's out of the way, and you can easily use the button for cool effects.

Or just buy a pickguard without the hole for the top volume knob, and use one volume, one tone.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Another belongs-on-TGP post but I preordered one of these.

IMG_20210118_154504_135.jpg

New Julian Lage sig!!!

470-jl-2-lg.jpg

Collings guitars are incredible. My 290 is ridiculously perfect. The I-30 is a holy grail guitar I have yet to meet someone that wasn't blown away.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
Why can't more companies do something like the EBMM JP/Majesty control layout? It's basically perfect.
Careful. You might piss off the angry traditionalists.

In all seriousness though, I don't really see how well that layout would work on a Strat. Maybe I am the angry traditionalist after all...

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Careful. You might piss off the angry traditionalists.

In all seriousness though, I don't really see how well that layout would work on a Strat. Maybe I am the angry traditionalist after all...
It's too bad I have an aversion to signature gear, and never really liked the feel of JP's guitars, or I would've bought one just for having an actual usable control layout.

There's basically no way to actually use all the controls on most guitars while playing. Something is always in the way of something else, or not in a convenient place to reach.

Chris Broderick's Jackson also has a similar control layout, and it's not an accident. However, I also disliked that guitar even more than the JPs and it's being discontinued.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
It's too bad I have an aversion to signature gear, and never really liked the feel of JP's guitars, or I would've bought one just for having an actual usable control layout.

There's basically no way to actually use all the controls on most guitars while playing. Something is always in the way of something else, or not in a convenient place to reach.

Chris Broderick's Jackson also has a similar control layout, and it's not an accident. However, I also disliked that guitar even more than the JPs and it's being discontinued.

IMO the JP line is essentially like a Les Paul, there’s way too many in way too different finishes/specs to be a single sig. However you still don’t like them so that is moot. Good luck finding something you gel with.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I don’t understand aversion to signature gear especially when there’s no actual visible signature, unique artwork, etc...

Just pretend the company released unique model and enjoy it. Why deprive yourself of something cool over something so silly?