The Official MMA Thread

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Machida is now stepping in to replace Bisping on the upcoming ufc fight night 30 card. Bisping is having problems with the eye that was poked in the Belcher fight.
He had surgery on the eye but it's still screwed. (or bisping is just a puss lol)

So it's Machida vs Munoz now.

No announcement yet on who will fight Kennedy on the November 6th card.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Another one bites the dust.

UFC suspends heavyweight Ben Rothwell 9 months for doping - ESPN

Gotta get that timing worked out guys lol.
Surely they could get someone to help them de-elevate in time for the show.

Vera I'm guessing will be another fighter who is released at the end of his current deal.
He's still a very good fighter against the highest level guys, but he's also a somewhat boring and calculated fighter, and I really think they're trying to make contractual space for new blood.
Okami getting fired is a good indicator of their intent, he's still one of the very best 185's out there and the king of Japanese MMA.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Okami isn't a personality. They want personalities more than skilled fighters. GSP would be out of there if he wasn't the champ.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I'm split about whether to be surprised that they so badly wanted to keep Silva. I don't imagine Dana likes his chat. Certainly he's a big draw as a fighter but now that he's been debunked somewhat and doesn't seem to want to do the big stuff, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go, if it didn't cost more than it was worth.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Anyone much bothered about Cain vs JDS 786? I'm not up to date with TUF but I really hope Roquelle Pennington makes it into the UFC. I think she'd be a great addition to the roster.

Merge

Reaction score
Those 2 fighting for the third time didn't bother me. The fight went the way I thought it would. A 100% JDS can't beat a 100% Cain.

Merge

Reaction score
Cain is out until roughly April, with a broken jaw. I think he's next opponent will be Fabricio Werdum. Werdum's stand up has improved greatly over the last few years, but I don't think it's on the same level as Cain's. However, he is a world class BJJ practitioner. Cain will want to keep this one standing.

Merge

Reaction score
I think Bisping was a good match-up for Munoz, I think Machida is a lousy match-up for him. I think Machida will pick him apart. His only real chance is to land a big punch and get the KO early.

Merge

Reaction score
DC vs Gustaffson is a tough call, both are very good fighters. DC will have the wrestling advantage, but Gus will have the reach advantage. As for Nelson, I think if he doesn't drop to LHW, he might be given his walking papers.

Merge

Reaction score
My head is saying DC. He's a 2 time Junior College National Champion, and an NCAA Runner-up out of Oklahoma State, and a former Olympic wrestler. Gustaffson has a boxing background, so I'd give him the advantage standing up. Gustaffson's first loss was to Phil Davis, who won an NCAA wrestling title at Penn State. The wrestling advantage may be all that DC needs, but this will be a close fight, I believe.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Gus has been training lots with Davis, though. Do you think DC could outwrestle Jones, then? There's also the issue of wrestling from a wrestling for wrestling's sake background as opposed to wrestling for MMA. See Sonnen, Chael P..

Merge

Reaction score
I just realized that DC isn't fighting Gustaffson, I'm not sure why I thought those 2 had something scheduled. Gus was scheduled to fight Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, but Nogueria backed out with a back injury. I did read that Phil Davis and DC have been mentioned as a replacement, but they haven't announced anything.

I'm not sure how a DC-Jones fight would go. DC would be giving up 4in in height, and probably more than that in reach. Jones was able to take Sonnen down at will, and pound on him. A 100% Jones would be a severe test for anyone. How did you score the Jones-Gus fight??

Merge

Reaction score
The Bellator card last night wasn't too bad. The Pat Curran fight was really boring, as was the King Mo fight. The Michael Chandler-Eddie Alvarez fight was a good fight. Alveraz came out on top, by SD. I had Alvarez winning 48-47.