The Official MMA Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wowspare

7String's new kid
Reaction score
Who would you rather see face Jones out of BC and DC?

Gus and Glover Teixeira. If Jones beats those 2 I can't think of anyone else at LHW.

DC should stop lurking around at HW and taking on irrelevant fights, shit talking to make his name stay on everyone’s mind while waiting to see which’ll be the easiest path to a title. If DC wants to fight Jones, he should diet down, shed off the fat and make the cut to LHW instead of just taking trash at Jones. Or maybe he's waiting to see if Cain loses his next fight..... then he may stay at HW. DC has gotten really unlikeable these days.
And when you say BC you mean Roy? Lol that would make a fine freakshow

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Aye, Big Country. Him vs Jones would be... interesting! Not that Dana would want to give him a shot. Although, seeing Nelson destroy Sonnen would be fun.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Weidman might be the only guy outside of heavyweight who has a chance at being able to push forward into Jones and close the distance, making it into a grappling/submission match.
Sonnan sure couldn't, but then again he also couldn't bully Bisping well either, who is a far cry from Jones.

I bet (that is if both defend successfully later this year) that Jones vs Weidman is not that far off, maybe next summer.
I actually think Weidman will come up to 205 in an attempt to gain both belts, and his 185 belt will be safe even in defeat.

edit; yes I've been drink'n again

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I think moving up to 205 would be a big move for Weidman. He's not huge at 185 so 205 could be a big struggle. I'm not even sure the UFC would want that to go ahead.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
So, Mayhem's been arrested for domestic abuse. What a plum.

Newell's victory at WSOF was very impressive. Looking forward to seeing how he continues.

JaeSwift

Of Blood and Sawdust
Reaction score
Well, there we go, Sonnen pulled an upset by choking the .... out of Shogun, who's career is now over. Fairly certain he's dead in the eyes of his Brazillian fans considering he tapped out.

Connor McGregor was incredibly fun to watch, Hall was the dissapointment of the night, Overeem gassed out before he could finish, then ate Brown's foot and Lauzon...seriously wonder what was up with him because I expected him to win.

Excited for Henderson vs. Pettis now.

Cnev

Reaction score
Yeah, a few big upsets last night. I have no idea what Lauzon's deal was. His was the fight I was most looking forward to but he certainly did not look himself.

Reem went pretty much how I thought it would if Browne survived the early flurry. Overeem just has no stamina to speak of.

McGregor looked awesome, but I was most impressed by McDonald. That dude is an absolute beast and has the IQ to match it.

Felt terrible for Shogun, but it was also nice to see Sonnen tone down the talking a bit and show that he actually does have the skills to remain within the upper echelon of fighters.

Pretty great night overall!

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Enjoyed the FOX fights very much. Was a great card with a variety of unexpected outcomes.

Sonnan beating Shogun will really shake things up at 205. I'm especially hoping they match him against Belfort next at light-heavy. It'll be the TRT showdown.

Moment of the night for me was seeing Overeasy get kick-flocked.
Just don't like the "reem" for some reason. Seeing Bigfoot knock him out with fists, and now this/ = one very happy fan here.
We could just throw him into the bowels of humiliation by matching him against Big Country next lol, where he might very possibly lose because of the chin mismatch.

ShredandBalls

Reaction score
Well, there we go, Sonnen pulled an upset by choking the .... out of Shogun, who's career is now over. Fairly certain he's dead in the eyes of his Brazillian fans considering he tapped out.

Connor McGregor was incredibly fun to watch, Hall was the dissapointment of the night, Overeem gassed out before he could finish, then ate Brown's foot and Lauzon...seriously wonder what was up with him because I expected him to win.

Excited for Henderson vs. Pettis now.

I wouldn't say Shogun is dead to the eyes of brazilian fans but he definitely needs to consider retirement, he's taken a lot of damage in his career and even though he's not that old, he's not the same Shogun from the PRIDE days, physically and mentally.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Do we think Travis Browne has it in him to be a contender, then?

Is anyone in the thread training MMA themselves ATM? Would we be into discussing our training, things we're learning within this thread or would we prefer a separate thread?

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
maybe its just me, but i was not impressed with connor mcgregor. dude gets a full mount and just lays there. not impressed.

id like to see travis browne fight winner of mir/barnet

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
maybe its just me, but i was not impressed with connor mcgregor. dude gets a full mount and just lays there. not impressed.

id like to see travis browne fight winner of mir/barnet

Connor (I think) get's much of the hype based off personality (like saying fookit a dozen times/minute lol). Good fighter, cool style, but definitely not warranting that much build up.

T. Browne fortunately fought the right guy for the moment, Overeem being a guy who would stand and bang without much ground threat, or at least no intention of taking it to the ground.
Also Overeasy's chin just isn't cut from the same rock as guys like JDS, Bigfoot, Cain, Big-Country ect..

If JDS loses to Cain then matching him against Browne next seems to make sense to me from the point of making a good entertaining fight (since they'll both be looking to stay on the feet and trade).

@Solodini; There was a thread about MMA training but it's not been up for awhile.
I've done some low-level boxing sparring in the past, but just like weight training everyone else around here always craps out after a few weeks and then I'm back all alone again :lol:.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe I'm underestimating Travis but I think JDS will take him apart.

I think you're right on, which is why after JDS loses to Cain again they'll be looking for a rebound fight to get him back on the winning track, and T.B. will be made to order with his style, although his length might keep the normally careful JDS at a safe distance for a couple rounds.

Dumbass Overeeem leaning in/walking in straight forward with hands down to a guy who's like 6'7" with front-kicks lol.
I'm going to watch it again right now just for fun. He really just gave that one to Browne, who gladdly took it.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
Aye, he willnae be able to use those front kicks against JDS as he'll be taken down right away. That'll decrease his range a bit.

straightshreddd

Dat Dood
Reaction score
Shame. No one around these parts trains, then?

It's been awhile, but I was training several days a week at one point. With sick guys, too. I was an underdog at 19 sparring regularly with mid-20's and early-30's am and pro fighters. I also trained at a local PAL boxing gym to focus on my standup.

It's been some time, but I can still hang.

My standup and kickboxing are very good for a dude who doesn't train consistently, but my slick guard and heavy top game is where I shine.

I'm gonna be fighting this drug dealer who robbed my brother-in-law soon. He has no mma or grappling experience, but is pretty athletic. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

When my bro fought him, he nearly tapped him out with a guillotine despite having no formal training, so I'm confident that I can take him.

straightshreddd

Dat Dood
Reaction score
Haha good luck. Why did you stop training?

I've been kinda on and off. I went for a solid year or so, then stopped because I couldn't afford the $125 a month at my first gym, then went to a cheaper, but better, gym but suffered a shoulder injury after about 5-6 months. Then, got back in the groove for a few months, but started a job that only allowed me to go occasionally. After that, I would go a few times a month and eventually just couldn't afford it anymore. haha

I definitely plan on going back as soon as I get back on my feet. It's so fun and the knowledge gained is so valuable. When I was going hard, I was hitting up classes about 4-5 days a week and working out at the local Anytime Fitness about 5-6 days a week. Plus, my beard was growing in, so I looked(and performed) like a beast and felt amazing. haha

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Forgot to post up last night that:

Machida is dropping down to fight Tim Kennedy at 185 on a FOX1 November 6th card.
Not sure who else will be on the card yet.