The Official MMA Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZachTheRipper

Bass Face
Reaction score
Sorry for the double, but I must keep this thread alive as this is my favorite sport.

Incase you missed this last weekend's Strikeforce event; tourney alternate Daniel Cormier trounced Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
Watched it live as well. Can't wait for Cormier vs Barnett. I'd have to give huge edge to Cormier on quickness alone, even without the obvious wrestling advantage.

Surely after he wins (or even loses for that matter) he'll be competing in the UFC.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I'd have to see some more fights with Cormier, because I wasn't impressed at all.

ampoverload

Reaction score
Cormier reminded me of prime Fedor, damn how i miss those days.

Cormier has a broken hand (lol, also reminds me of prime Fedor with all his hand injuries), he might miss the finals.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score

ZachTheRipper

Bass Face
Reaction score
The Reem has been known to gas out pretty badly, especially if Brock keeps shooting takedowns on him. I honestly think this can go either way if Lesnar can make it out of the first stanza.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I'll go with Lesnar. He'll not have to shoot takedowns often because Overeem will be spending the fight on his back. Lesnar by choke submission IMO.

heineken_fretwalker

Team Ibanez
Reaction score
I still think Reem's striking is gonna put Lesnar's suspect chin in trouble. Anyhow, UFC135 is this weekend. Who ya got? Rampage has been my favorite fighter since I started watching forever ago, and I would love to see him get his strap back, but Jones has been unstoppable. I'm extremely nervous about this fight.

Off_The_Heezay

Reaction score
As much as I would love to see 'Page pull it off, I can't see it happening. He's got a puncher's chance, I wouldn't give him any more than that though. I'm on the fence as to whether I like Jones or not, he's exciting to watch but he seems a bit arrogant. The fact that he made one of my favourite fighters look like shit last time out didn't help either.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
So fucking keen for Jones vs Rampage, if Rampage can get past those arms then Jones is a gonner, but if Jones can get him down its rape town for Rampage.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score
I as well would only give Jackson a puncher's chance. To me Jones is just to rangey AND to good of wrestler and athlete to have any problem engaging in tie-ups.
I see the knees and elbows of Jones as being Jackson's ultimate demise. Then there is the quickness factor that further handicaps Rampage.

new name; Quinten "face down in two round" Jackson (I hope anyways)

TasmanSam

Reaction score
I as well would only give Jackson a puncher's chance. To me Jones is just to rangey AND to good of wrestler and athlete to have any problem engaging in tie-ups.
I see the knees and elbows of Jones as being Jackson's ultimate demise. Then there is the quickness factor that further handicaps Rampage.

Agreed, and that last quote made me :lol:

muaddib09

Reaction score
Cormier was awesome. Doesn't he train with AKA? I think Barrnett and Cormier will cancel each others wrestling out. It will be a slug fest between these two.
Going with Page on this. He's got an good record, I think Page's power will stop flying spinning whatever. But speed kills and Jones has that in spades. WAR PAGE!

TheSixthWheel

bangetzit
Reaction score
I believe Jones is going to finish the fight, but I'd like Jackson to be the victor. I hope Koscheck gets smashed, as I'm pretty sure he will. Nate Diaz and Travis Browne will win their fights, because they're both machines. Really hope Tony Ferguson gets destroyed too, he came across as a real cock on TUF. All in all, I see this being a highly entertaining card. Now the wait.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
Cormier's striking was very rudimentary. I honestly hope he doesn't make it into the UFC with that lack of proper form and technique. Besides his obvious heavy hands, he looked like it was his first fight.

As far as Rampage and Jones goes, I give the advantage to Jones. Just like Wanderlei :)wub:) and Liddell :)noplease:) I don't believe that Rampage has gained the realization that MMA is no longer a brawlers sport. Everything nowadays is technique and skill.

Rampage isn't well rounded enough, being a one dimensional boxer, albeit a fairly good one, against a fighter like Jones, who is a great wrestler and utilizes MMA (another thing that I think Quinton forgot about was the term mixed martial arts, not stand and trade and howl like a buffoon martial arts).
Jones utilizes the clinch, knee and elbow strikes, grappling, every aspect of the game, whereas Quinton has had noticeable trouble with fighters whom actually realize what MMA means in the past because he is so one dimensional.

I won't count in Rampage's past wrestling experience, because it now seems to be just that, a thing of the past.

rikwebb

Reaction score
Looking forward to Diaz/Gomi and Rampage/Jones tonight.

Going over to Vegas for 137 then going to 138 the week after. Wish Diaz was still facing GSP but him and BJ will still be a cracking fight.

TRENCHLORD

Banned
Reaction score

make that one round:agreed:

straightshreddd

Dat Dood
Reaction score
I won't count in Rampage's past wrestling experience, because it now seems to be just that, a thing of the past.

Although I agree with you 100%, Rampage is a blue belt in BJJ now. Not to say that will stand up to Jones' wrestling skills and training under Greg Jackson, but it does mean he realizes his weakness on the ground and has been trying to do something about it. Also, in the Pride days Rampage had some respectable clinch-work utilizing knees and bows and solid control, so hopefully he is seeing all of this and is coming up with a serious gameplan. I also think Jones is gonna take this fight. He deserves it more and is so well-rounded and athletic that it's scary. But, I won't be surprised if Rampage comes outta nowwhere with some crazy shit. I'm rootin' for both of them and am very excited for this fight.