The Painting thread

• Thread starter odibrom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey @c7spheres , please feel free to post whatever you want in here, the rule is visual art, mainly drawing, painting and eventually sculpture, but digital stuff is also welcome. This is everyone's thread on the subject, no need for an invitation nor authorization to post. If you feel that what you have is interesting to share, please do so. Everyone is welcome to post/share and criticize everyone's work as long as it's a constructive criticism.

Also, if for example one wants to share someone else's work, please do identify the author.

Lets try to keep photography out, for there is a thread on that already.

About that fractal image, I kind of love fractal images. This one in particular I feel it a bit aggressive because of the very strong color contrast. Maybe with less bright/luminous colors it could work better. However, the purpose is "law" so it's ok to create something with shockingly vivid colors and strong contrasts.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Hey @c7spheres , please feel free to post whatever you want in here, the rule is visual art, mainly drawing, painting and eventually sculpture, but digital stuff is also welcome. This is everyone's thread on the subject, no need for an invitation nor authorization to post. If you feel that what you have is interesting to share, please do so. Everyone is welcome to post/share and criticize everyone's work as long as it's a constructive criticism.

Also, if for example one wants to share someone else's work, please do identify the author.

Lets try to keep photography out, for there is a thread on that already.

About that fractal image, I kind of love fractal images. This one in particular I feel it a bit aggressive because of the very strong color contrast. Maybe with less bright/luminous colors it could work better. However, the purpose is "law" so it's ok to create something with shockingly vivid colors and strong contrasts.

- Cool. Thanks for the input. I made this one for a freind and she like's the rainbow stuff a lot. I like that it kind of looks like a body or spirit or something. I printed it on photo paper and wrote/typed her a poem in a fancy font that's also printed over it then gave it to her as a gift. I do that sometimes with these and give them to people.
- I'll post some more after I connect my external drive up. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing with them. I have some really old program that just starts off with "that" Madelbrot image (or any other image you want), and then you just plug in equations and it morphs it, but there's also a part where you can enter your own equations and morph it too, then you can zoom in on a part you like, crop it and change colors and things. It's really neat for someone like me that wants to make stuff but hasn't the skill to hand draw/paint something. I'll get some more Fractals up soon then. Thanks again. : )

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I wasn't quite certain if angry or hypnotic but nonetheless... really cool image.

I have been hypnotized by it before. It's like their special power : )

Here's some more fraactals I made. Some are just slight variations or different zoom and crop points of the same fractal, but it goes to show how much detail is in them. One little part that looks like a dot or scribble has all kinds of stuff on it when zoomed in on it. The really trippy circle stuff is all just variations on the center of that first colorful one you saw. If you stare at them long enough you can see faces and you can start to get disoriented. It's pretty fun. Enjoy!

3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Those would be some genuinely righteous doom/ stoner/ psychedelic album covers.

Yep!, That's what I've been using a lot of them for. Home grown space jams and singles. If I have a good jam or can put together a good jam collection, I like to turn them into an album or single so I remember what it is. I'll remember them as something like that "electron-symphony" song, or that "hypno-binural slow jam" or "heavy-MeLtoe" or somthing like that. It's really hard to even remember stuff exists when it starts stacking up. Gotta put a name or picture to it. I highly recommend everyone do this to remember ideas and riffs etc. Otherwise it gets outta control.

Btw, those are thumbnails, For anyone who didn't know, they get really big if you click on them.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
This one is super cool. A very well balanced composition and color scheme. I like it.
Thank you.
I see a face in there. I get the colors by running an RGB cycle. It has faders and you adjust the balance, when you make it cycle it pulses the entire picture at a rate while changing the shading and intensity of the RGB color palette, and it's really strange and hypnotising, but you can adjust the faders too while it cycles to adjust the balance of the RGB in realtime. While it cycles you can feel it messing with your eyes and pulsing your brain. When it feels and looks right I push stop at that moment and see what the colors are. I've been trying to figure out how to make .gif or video of it for years but I've kinda given up because I can't figure it out, and there's no good instructions. I think I got it down but my computer just isn't powerful enough. You need alot of processing to make fractal videos. Much more than audio. I'm sure better fractal art programs exsist nowadays for sure. There's some really incredible stuff people are doing with them. Thanks again.

Reaction score
You could use desktop recording software, recording specific areas of your screen monitor. There are plenty out there, I'm sure some might be free...?

A few years back, I knew of a free software that made 3D fractal videos and the results were mesmerizing, almost Alien (the movie) like and truly out of this world. It would create/modulate a 3D fractal environment and then it would also create a camera travel path for the movie. I have never used it though, but seen some films and it was really interesting. It was this software: https://www.mandelbulb.com/2014/mandelbulb-3d-mb3d-fractal-rendering-software/.

Here's a video

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
You could use desktop recording software, recording specific areas of your screen monitor. There are plenty out there, I'm sure some might be free...?

A few years back, I knew of a free software that made 3D fractal videos and the results were mesmerizing, almost Alien (the movie) like and truly out of this world. It would create/modulate a 3D fractal environment and then it would also create a camera travel path for the movie. I have never used it though, but seen some films and it was really interesting. It was this software: https://www.mandelbulb.com/2014/mandelbulb-3d-mb3d-fractal-rendering-software/.

Here's a video

- Wow! That's stuff is cool. I gotta get a better computer to handle that stuff. Apparently fractal video animation can really tax even a powerful computers' resources.
- I've seen Mandelbrot talks on YouTube. He's a really smart guy and down to earth. It's crazy how we wouldn't have computers or cell phones as we know them without his math and to think it was just brushed off as irrelevant for so many years until they could actually run the equations throuhh the first analog computers. It's alien stuff for sure. If it wasn't for Mandelbrot, none of these modern devices would probably exist.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
OK, I'll bite.

I mostly work in a kind of hyper-detailed, organic "realist" abstract style that is easier to show than explain:

1237.jpg

1287.jpg

1335.jpg
947.jpg

893.jpg

691.jpg
640.jpg

612.jpg
682.jpg

Oil is definitely my favorite medium, but I live in a small apartment and don't have a separate studio, so it's not very practical for me most of the time. As a result, the vast majority of my output at least for the last few years is ink, graphite, and colored pencil, which I can do without stinking the whole place up.

1230.jpg

1248.jpg

1339.jpg
928.jpg

Reaction score
@thraxil That's some bite!, beautiful pieces you got there. I haven't used oil paint for almost 16 to 18 years already for that exact reason: SMELL... Whenever I'm painting, I'm using Acrylic paint. Top quality one flows as well as oil, but it will dry way faster. Painting over wood is awesome, for the wood keeps the moisture for longer time, so it will be easier do blend and mix colors (though one should do it at the palette, but there are no rules, right?). it also allows to remove paint with the brush with the same ease as adding, which is, in itself, super interesting and inspiring, a perfect blend in painting and drawing.

@KnightBrolaire looking good, keep them coming.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
@KnightBrolaire very nice! tell me, do you protect your drawings when done? See this link - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixative_(drawing)

There are lots of sprays out-there to protect your finished works from smudging... Also, when using these sprays, be sure to have your windows wide open.
i always use fixative. I like filling in large dark areas with charcoal so it always looks really messy.
I wanted to keep the head as the focal point so the clothes/hand got basically rubbed away

Reaction score
Yeah, for those dry mediums a fixative is mandatory, or the drawing will smudge away in no time. It's looking good, congrats...