The search continues......

• Thread starter Nick1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nick1

Reaction score
Well Ive owned the following overdrive pedals and Im not happy with the results....

BB Plus
Boss SD1
VOX Satchurator
TS9
TS9DX
MXRZW
MXR GTOD (this is the best so far)
Boss Blues Driver
Boss DS1
Some Danelectro POS
DOD YJM
Radial Classic
Radial Hot British

There are more I just cant think of anymore ATM.

Im running them into an Egnater Rebel 20 Head into 612s (2 80 watters, 4 60 watters both Celestions)

I want to set the amp slightly dirty and use the pedal to "overdrive" it or to run the amp clean and use it as a main gain station. So it has to have good gain but Im not looking for a metal tone. Im looking for more liquidy smooth glassy sexy tone that can crunch too. Again I dont want metal tones. Nor do I want to do Coldplay covers so just clean boost wont do. And I really dont want one that has that massive fucking mid hump that makes the tone all honky.

So what are some OD pedals you guys use(d) and liked and why. This hopefully will help me end my search for the ultimate overdrive.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe a Bloody Murder or another of Joe's modded pedals?

Austin

Reaction score
I'm really happy with my Barber pedals; I have the LTD v.2 and the Direct Drive LG. They are very quiet pedals and have an adjustable EQ, although you have to access trim pots inside the unit to change those settings. Plus they sound different at 9v and 18v, so you have even more available tones between the two different voltages.
The LTD is currently my boost of choice for the 5150. I ran the two together to boost my Triple Rec before it was stolen.

stuh84

The Viking himself
Contributor
Reaction score
Xotic BB Preamp? Known for smooth tones, but with a bit of gain to it too, sounds like in conjuction with your amp overdrive it could do the job.

Nick1

Reaction score
Xotic BB Preamp? Known for smooth tones, but with a bit of gain to it too, sounds like in conjuction with your amp overdrive it could do the job.

I have the plus version of that. Its warm and middy which is cool but its also borderline muddy and fuzzy. I just cant get the sound I want from it.

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
If you've gone through all those and aren't happy at all with any of them, I'd say it's either your amp, your guitar, or just you being too picky.

Nick1

Reaction score
I am definitely too picky!!!!!!
Ive tried a keeley sd1 and Ive owned a ds1. I didnt like either too much. The sd1 is ok just bland, just another TS clone. :noplease: ATM Im thinking of the Full Tone OCD or the Full Tone GT500.....

Here are some vids.........

Reaction score
I use a Coffin Blood Drive and depite what one would think about the pedal, it's NOT a metal pedal. It's like a really cool modded tubescreamer that can lend itself to a variety of music styles.

Necky379

Reaction score
whats wrong with the gt-od? thats the best od ive ever played, perfection to my ears.

try this.
pedalGEEK - Prescription Electronics RX Overdrive
i used one for awhile and i think it should work for what you're trying to do. for me the gt-od compliments my sound better, but the rx pedal is really good. if i was using an od pedal as an overdrive instead of using it as a boost i'd still be running the rx instead of the gt-od. as a boost for my 5150 i prefer the gt-od.

Nick1

Reaction score