The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

littleredguitars2

green canaries
Reaction score
So regarding the fan on the 26.5-25.75, the netral point is approx at the 7th fret... making the overall fan on one side and the other less "extreme"...

I should be able to post a pic, in like 2 months when I get mine... :eek: Ooops I told it...!

interesting. id be curious to find out which fan i prefer more.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I mean overall. In terms of quality, playability and of course the resale value. :) So many mixed reviews and never had the chance to try either one out myself.

It depends what you want. If you want tons more of wood/aesthetic options and pretty much guaranteed nice tops, go kiesel. If you want a little longer scale length (for an 8 string) then go strandberg. My vaders are nicer in finish and playability than either of the os8 guitars I had.i also prefer the hipshot hardware on the vaders as the tuners aren't as stiff. Overall I'd recommend finding a used vader, but not getting one new from kiesel since they're a pretty .... company to deal with anymore.

laxu

Reaction score
I mean overall. In terms of quality, playability and of course the resale value. :) So many mixed reviews and never had the chance to try either one out myself.

I don't own a Vader but a Kiesel AM7 and have owned a Strandberg Boden OS 8 LE. Roughly same price after shipping and taxes with the specs I chose for the Kiesel.

The Kiesel was a better guitar in every way. The OS 8 I got had severe fret crowning issues and could not be setup for low action. The quilt top was very lackluster for a LE model whereas Kiesel has really nice looking woods. Tonally the Kiesel was also better for my tastes. Both had small cosmetic issues.

Sent the OS 8 back, still have the Kiesel. That said, where Strandberg wins big time is customer service. They were very helpful and I'm sure I would have gotten a perfect example if I had changed mine for another one. I just didn't like some of the specs and neck shape so I just got a refund. While I personally had zero issues with Kiesel customer support, there have been many reports recently to the contrary.

That said, in some ways I prefer the Strandberg design to the Kiesel Vader. While the Kiesel neck joint won't get in the way, it is also probably not as nice to play when sitting down. I decided to order a Skervesen Shoggie 8 for a headless instead. There's someone selling his on the SSO Guitars for sale forum and that's what I would pick right now.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
That said, in some ways I prefer the Strandberg design to the Kiesel Vader. While the Kiesel neck joint won't get in the way, it is also probably not as nice to play when sitting down. I decided to order a Skervesen Shoggie 8 for a headless instead. There's someone selling his on the SSO Guitars for sale forum and that's what I would pick right now.

After owning both, the kiesel is far more comfortable imo. Far better forearm contour (considering the strandberg barely has one..) better strap pin placement imo, and the jack placement works better for me. The vader sits better for classical style playing or traditional electric style imo. Not that the strandberg is uncomfortable by any means but those details really matter to me. At the price point I paid for mine the quality wasn't where it should have been. I paid the same price for my blue OS8 that I did for my Vader multiscale 8 and the difference was palpable both in specs, playability and overall comfort imo. My VM8 came set up with nice low action, no playability issues, a really great top, no finish issues. My first OS8 came with some minor finish issues and a lackluster top. The OS8LE was an even ....tier top, some minor finish issues, cost me an extra 300$ over a base model for an ebony board/.... quilt top, and had a poor setup. Both of my cousins also preferred my vaders to my OS8. I had them go back and forth between the two and their first impressions were that the vader was more comfortable.

Your mileage may vary.

MSUspartans777

Reaction score
I just communicated with Ed through email about the production of new models. He said production begins this week and on-site QC control starts next month. Middle of June delivery date for anyone wondering.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
is anyone else enormously aroused by the boden classic? I'm thinking of selling my OS6 for that sonic blue classic.......goodness it looks so good. Someone stop me. I'm supposed to be saving up for a new 8 string.

littleredguitars2

green canaries
Reaction score
just throwing this out there. would there be anyone interested in swapping hardware with me? i have red hardware on my boden 6 and frankly its the one thing keeping it from being perfect in my eyes. also, is hardware interchangeable? i've even considering just buying a used os with black hardware and just swapping the hardware and reselling the os. i dont know. still on the fence.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
just throwing this out there. would there be anyone interested in swapping hardware with me? i have red hardware on my boden 6 and frankly its the one thing keeping it from being perfect in my eyes. also, is hardware interchangeable? i've even considering just buying a used os with black hardware and just swapping the hardware and reselling the os. i dont know. still on the fence.

I don't see why the hardware couldn't be changed out. It's just some wood screws mounting the plates into the wood and bolts holding the tuners to the plates.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score

Yeah, I might be down. I have black coming on my purple OS8.

And you guys have me all sweating the purchase now! I was hoping this would be a cool axe, but if it's not up to/better than a Vader, idk. I'm hoping I got a good one.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Yeah, I might be down. I have black coming on my purple OS8.

And you guys have me all sweating the purchase now! I was hoping this would be a cool axe, but if it's not up to/better than a Vader, idk. I'm hoping I got a good one.

yeah I probably just have .... luck with OS models. Although I got my custom for cheaper than either of them so I guess it balances out.

Thringer09

Reaction score

Same, I've been trying to decide between a Kiesel HH2 or one of the 2017 Strandbergs and that huge Kiesel thread had me leaning one way but now i dont know..

aleclee

Reaction score
Kiesel doesn't have much of a history but Carvin guitar resale value has historically bit crappy, partly because of the long list of options that may or may not appeal to the prospective buyer. Thus far, Strandberg resale has been pretty solid.

Playability is such a subjective thing, I'm not gonna touch it. For quality, I might give the nod to Kiesel if only because Carvin does have a great history of quality guitar building while the new and new-ish Strandberg production lines are probably still working things out.

boogie2

Reaction score
I've played both and like them pretty well. That being said, I have a pair of OS's that work great and came with nice tops. I like the Endurneck shape, but play stuff with standards as well. The only down side to the Kiesel would be the weight. My Strandy's are around 5 lbs, but the similar Kiesels seem to weigh in at 7+. Not sure what's up there, but all of their axes look like they're a bit on the heavy side and I like light guitars. FWIW

gfactor

Reaction score
I'm currently saving for a new guitar and it's either gonna be a 2017 OS8 or a Kiesel VM8. I keep thinking I've made up my mind one way or the other but these SSO threads make me question everything haha. The only good answer is get both I guess :idea:

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm currently saving for a new guitar and it's either gonna be a 2017 OS8 or a Kiesel VM8. I keep thinking I've made up my mind one way or the other but these SSO threads make me question everything haha. The only good answer is get both I guess :idea:

2017 boden original os8?

My vote is for the strandy :)

gfactor

Reaction score
2017 boden original os8?

My vote is for the strandy :)

That's what I'm thinking especially after the things I've been hearing about Kiesel this week. Those roasted maple necks have me drooling. I'm a little nervous about the Enduraneck and I do feel a bit weird dropping $2K on a guitar coming out of the same factory as my Agile.

Thringer09

Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking especially after the things I've been hearing about Kiesel this week. Those roasted maple necks have me drooling. I'm a little nervous about the Enduraneck and I do feel a bit weird dropping $2K on a guitar coming out of the same factory as my Agile.

I have the exact same trepidations as you, I think I'm going Strandberg as well.