The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Burl Top/Alder Core/Wenge Back for sure. I'm actually not too certain if it's Alder or Basswood for the core.

Neck could be Madagasscar Ebony or Pau Ferro as well!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ara_

Reaction score
The top is poplar burl, the fretboard is ziricote
If the middle and back woods haven't changed and I forgot about it, they are aspen in the middle and wenge in the back.

Exit Existence

Reaction score
I've had my Boden OS7 for about a week now. At first I was really struggling with the endurneck. I think I was overthinking that I HAD to play it a certain way, with my thumb always on the flat back plane, to reap the ergonomic benefits of it.

After getting discouraged I just stopped thinking about it and let my thumb go wherever it naturally wanted to go, flat backside on the lower positions and transitioning to the higher plane on higher positions.

Now it feels absolutely fine to play on. I even watched some Per Nilson videos and noticed his thumb is all over the place too. My advice to anyone struggling is to not overthink it!

olejason

Reaction score
Also, am I too anal, or should that guy remove his thumb ring before holding the body? :lol:

He should probably remove it all the time because it looks goofy but yeah it could theoretically dent or scratch the wood.

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
The top is poplar burl, the fretboard is ziricote
If the middle and back woods haven't changed and I forgot about it, they are aspen in the middle and wenge in the back.

Very interesting spec. That poplar burl looks really good. What are those holes and crevices though(Not wormholes I hope)? Been seeing them alot on many builds from strandberg. Also I thought fanned 7 string varbergs got the full fretboard instead of the usual curved ending.

Or you know...just in general.

I live for your brutal replies. :lol:

marcwormjim

Reaction score
2017 OS needed a setup out of the box, but seems good, so far. The new, knife-edge trem comes set up with less range than the old one (barely pulls the G up a minor 3rd when the base is level with the body, as opposed to the old bearing model pulling up to a 4th, depending on how you set the string-height). I'll check out the pivot tension-adjustment when I change strings or pickups.

The frets don't appear to have been leveled or crowned, at all (which only means they were pressed in level-enough to pass QC). They're pretty even, but I have the action raised at least .25mm higher than I know I could get away with, had the frets been leveled to tighter tolerances to avoid fret-out. I only nitpick that detail due to the high price-point of these WMI instruments meaning that their setup QC compares unfavorably to similarly-priced US brands. I'm of the opinion that a 20"-radius board - Only ever used as a spec for the sake of low action - should be shipped with a lower achievable action than a 15.75" Ibanez. As it is, both OSes I've received came with offensively-high strings: The first was hiding a QC failure, whereas the second was just laziness (that only a few of the saddle set screws were screwed in reinforces this impression).

Pics of both will come after I've spent some more time with the guitar.

littleredguitars2

green canaries
Reaction score
heads up. the boden J's (some of them any way) have been clearanced and marked down 10 percent. i scored a SWEET black boden j and am just waiting for it to arrive. theres still a beautiful blue 6 string in stock too (and a black one). ed yoon sent me pics and it was really nice.

Thringer09

Reaction score
heads up. the boden J's (some of them any way) have been clearanced and marked down 10 percent. i scored a SWEET black boden j and am just waiting for it to arrive. theres still a beautiful blue 6 string in stock too (and a black one). ed yoon sent me pics and it was really nice.

Dude! Thanks for the heads up!! :bowdown:

Got a Brown Boden J 7 string!!

Riker_Maneuver

Reaction score
Our Boden J's worth the extra $$ from the OS? What's the major difference aside from that they're made in Japan and likely a collectors item down the road?

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Our Boden J's worth the extra $$ from the OS? What's the major difference aside from that they're made in Japan and likely a collectors item down the road?

generally better tops on the j models, different wood choices (some have lacewood binding or such), different color choices that you can't get on an OS.

littleredguitars2

green canaries
Reaction score
by the way to clarify what i mentioned a while ago about boden J's going away, ed yoon mentioned that they will still be produced but only sold in the japanese markets. no longer on their official sites i guess.

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
What you guys think of this?

bodensc1.jpg

downburst82

Reaction score
bodensc1.jpg

TosinAbasi_©GuitarCenter_RyanHunter_2%255b1%255d.jpg

A bit of a similar vibe but pretty different really, I actually think the Tosin prototype might look better as a headless than the strandberg does :shrug:

MSUspartans777

Reaction score
bodensc1.jpg

TosinAbasi_©GuitarCenter_RyanHunter_2%255b1%255d.jpg

A bit of a similar vibe but pretty different really, I actually think the Tosin prototype might look better as a headless than the strandberg does :shrug:

Is the Strandberg above legitimate? I've never seen one before.

I've always loved the Abasi Prototype. I think it looks badass.

cubix

Spring of 86
Reaction score
I actually think the Tosin proto is a bit fugly and it was definately inspired by Strandberg a little bit - especially in the bottom part.