The .strandberg* Thread

• Thread starter Rook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

boogie2

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to what needs to be done to convert the OS7 to passive? Mainly the grounding on the bridge? I have one incoming and if I don't like the actives will change over fairly quickly.I've already read up on the need for a soapbar shape and that if going BKP go blackhawk or custom, also custom with Duncan.

I searched a bit on the forum and couldn't find it. Pretty sure I saw it around here before.

This thread is pretty good. I'm in the middle of a Blackhawk install right now.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/se...le-strandberg-boden-os7-questions-owners.html

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
The heel is really big. But amazingly, you don't really notice it at all. I have very small hands and can leave my thumb on the neck and play all the way up to the 24th fret just fine on any of the Strandbergs I've played. It never felt too big or in the way.

I only noticed how big the heel actually was when I played one of his neck throughs. Narad will back me up on this. We played our guitars side by side, and while #44 has much better fret access because of the neck through, you don't really lose much with the bolt on. I would say it's not a negative of the bolt on, but a positive of the neck through.

You shouldn't notice it too much.

Thanks Steven! That being said however, i did some research on the 6 string bolt on standard scale guitars, and the cutaway isn't as deep as on the 7 and 8 strings, and im not sure if the ones you've played are all fanned frets, which MAY be easier due to the shorter scale length on the treble side and also the more natural "windshield" type motion. Oh well, only know for sure when i play mine eventually.

That being said however, I wonder whats Ola's rationale behind such a huge neck joint on bolt ons. Better tone due to larger contact area between the neck and the body perhaps?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I only noticed how big the heel actually was when I played one of his neck throughs. Narad will back me up on this. We played our guitars side by side, and while #44 has much better fret access because of the neck through, you don't really lose much with the bolt on. I would say it's not a negative of the bolt on, but a positive of the neck through.

You shouldn't notice it too much.

Yea - the neck heel is not a problem at all, and I would probably defend it against anyone who simply looks at it as a comparatively large chunk of wood and trashes the playability of it. It's not an issue.

However, when I played Steven's I was kind of like...yea...the next one will be neck-through for sure. I thought the playing experience was a bit better simply because nothing changes as you move up and down the neck.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Steven! That being said however, i did some research on the 6 string bolt on standard scale guitars, and the cutaway isn't as deep as on the 7 and 8 strings, and im not sure if the ones you've played are all fanned frets, which MAY be easier due to the shorter scale length on the treble side and also the more natural "windshield" type motion. Oh well, only know for sure when i play mine eventually.

That being said however, I wonder whats Ola's rationale behind such a huge neck joint on bolt ons. Better tone due to larger contact area between the neck and the body perhaps?

Ive had a few sets of pickups have *really* long pole screws :)cool:) that required me to route out a few extra millimeters, but there's a few companies that use shallower screws (SD and Dimarzio) than the BK's that i've had in recently.

For the neck joint, Ola might just have the extra meat on there for weight to stop neck dive? (throwing it out there, no idea...) I honestly had no issues with the neck heel on the one i owned.

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and input guys. I'll just feel it for myself when it arrives.

Its wierd that no one has ordered a MTM with this kind of sculpted neck joint. Regretting it abit myself... Looks really comfy and unobstructed.
IMG_43901.jpg

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
Is it too late to ask for it to be sculpted?

I would believe so. Body and top has already undergone staining.

http://guitarworks.thestrandbergs.com/wp-content/6-string-body.pdf

For those awaiting a made to measure, try downloading this and printing on A3 paper and cut it out, just to have a feel of the gap/access to the top frets if you don't have access to try one out in real life. I tried and it seems alright. The body feels so petite and portable in real life! Really a huge departure from my les pauls and superstrats!

Spectivum

Reaction score
interesting how much better the shape looks on real life pictures than on the drawing

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
The drawing has the horn cuts/bevels/scoops. Also I'm not too sure what that is around the controls area.
It looks like it's supposed to slope down towards the edge while the control area is supposed to be flat? That's my understanding of the PDF drawing anyway. Don't think I've ever actually seen a strandberg with that, though.

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
I'm glad he did away with the scoops and slopes. The current shape looks so much better with the flat top and forearm contour. Looks beefier from the side as well. And the curved edge at the nut is so much nicer than the initial bodens and the Kiesel Vader.

IMG_14151.jpg

extendedsolo

Reaction score
Any estimates on the current wait time if I just put my name on the made to measure list? I've been looking for non-os 8 strings and they are really difficult to find as far as color at the minimum. Decided I would just go for the full on "what I want" guitar.

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
Any estimates on the current wait time if I just put my name on the made to measure list? I've been looking for non-os 8 strings and they are really difficult to find as far as color at the minimum. Decided I would just go for the full on "what I want" guitar.

Well, let's put it this way. I put my name on the list back in November/December of 2011, and my guitar is only just being completed. It definitely won't be as long with the optimisation of the custom shop and there being more than 1 builder(Ola) now though. Also my build(#67) had a few delays here and there. #73 has already been completed back in June, being a simpler, more straightforward build(No trem, standard black hardware, no stain etc.)

I would suggest you put your name on it if you're pretty serious. But before that, take a long hard look at the OS and Swedish custom shop. Prices for the MTMs are also much higher than even the custom shop models, so take that into account.