You want TesseracT+Periphery gigs in Europe in 2010?

• Hell yes!

Votes: 52 61.9%
  • I'm just jealous because I don't live in Europe

Votes: 32 38.1%

• Total voters

lemeker

SS.org Slacker
Reaction score
I might have to miss these shows, and I'm not happy about it either.

that aside, the new album is finally starting to grow on me. Hexes is by far my favorite tune. Altered State is still the top dog of their releases, but this album is .... too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

A-Branger

Reaction score
Gig was yesterday in Brisbane. I can only say

:hbang::hbang::hbang::hbang::scream::shred:

too much awesomeness!!! first time hearing them live. They are awesome. They sound so tight and great vocal performance too. Love to see a vocalist who can perform well live just as good as in the recordings. Same goes with the rest of the band

:metal:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
A mod has to do it. I'm not even sure how I ended up as the starter of this particular thread.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Anyone else feel like Polaris lacks a lot of substance. Altered State had such flow and continuity. Polaris just feels like repetitive grooving on quite a few songs and some seriously undeveloped progressions. Hexes and Seven Names really stand out in that regard...completely underutilized climaxes and frankly uninteresting progression really ruined what could've been two of the best songs I've ever heard. Maybe I'm spoiled with Altered State and most of One? Maybe I'm too picky? All I know is I really wanted to love this album but just find myself going "GAAAAHHH why!?" at the lack of development in a few of the songs. Messenger, Survival, and Dystopia are great imo, but the rest of the songs really seem to be undeveloped or just don't leave much to come back to.

The production is fantastic, that's worth mentioning

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I actually felt like it was a step in the right direction, I felt like Altered State really need to just stick to a few themes per song as opposed to a constant development. I just felt like Ashe' singing over the top was just non stop and never varied from what the clean guitars did in the background, it was just very tiring to listen too. I definitely prefer the more simpler forms of both One & Polaris, where I was able to appreciate a chorus twice per song, and a theme coming back later on. But its all different strokes, so no harm done heh :yesway:

I'm enjoying Polaris so far, nothing spectacular, but I prefer it to Altered State. Its got some easy fun riffs to play aswell.

Reaction score
^In response to substance (specifically Hexes)

I totally disagree. The climax is "history hexes us". There isn't a more definitive climax on the album imo. Underutilized? Ok i agree. I want to here it more... but i just push rewind/repeat. The reason I want to hear Dan sing "history hexes us" is because of the riffs and subtlety that lead up to it. Then... I just groove and flow to the melody that isHexes.

Tr3vor

Reaction score
I do agree that Altered state is the better album. Something about how some of the songs on Polaris end leaves me a bit unsatisfied sometimes, as if something is missing in some way. I don't really know how to describe it besides that. Phoenix and Seven Names sort of do that to me. None of the songs on Altered State did that.

I'm not saying that the album is bad, not even close, its great, but its not as good as Altered State. Although Utopia almost rivals Exile and Eclipse as my favorite Tesseract song.

VigilSerus

Guys gals n guitars
Reaction score
awesome playing :hbang:

where did you got te tabs from?, or did you just build them?... links?:shred:

I learned in part from an existing tab online, and other part by ear/from Acle's playthrough video. I corrected (to the best of my ability, it may not be 100% correct) the tab to fit in how I played it.

And to join the discussion above me and be the moderate of the group; I absolutely love Altered State, but I was incredibly pleased with Polaris. Both have their own unique vibe, which I believe can't be compared to eachother. It's like the band grew an apple tree one year and an orange tree the next. You can't really compare them except in play style. Altered State was your flowing album, with linked themes and ideas than run into the next song. Polaris switched to the per-song idea playbook, with a few ideas propagating in small places in other songs. Polaris may seem short, but for me, I'd rather have quality over quantity. I don't notice its shorter playtime because its filled with great moments that almost pull out the time, mentally.

Tr3vor

Reaction score
Oh wow, when did youtube go nazi? I can't watch any Altered state videos, including the cover in this thread when I could like 2 days ago. This is retarded. I can't even watch the live studio recording of "Of Matter" :mad: :nuts:

VigilSerus

Guys gals n guitars
Reaction score
Oh wow, when did youtube go nazi? I can't watch any Altered state videos, including the cover in this thread when I could like 2 days ago. This is retarded. I can't even watch the live studio recording of "Of Matter" :mad: :nuts:

Ok, holy ..... Yeah I got a US block by Century Media. Its pissing me off to no end right now.

Edit: I think someone might be claimant trolling. When you try and view a video, its says its blocked by Lonely Planet Productions Inc. However, on my copyright claimant page for my video, it says Century Media.

Edit2: Sent a message to TesseracT via Facebook, hopefully to get someone who knows someone to maybe rectify the situation, or at least explain it.

A-Branger

Reaction score
I learned in part from an existing tab online, and other part by ear/from Acle's playthrough video. I corrected (to the best of my ability, it may not be 100% correct) the tab to fit in how I played it.

sharing is caring :wavey:

hehehe, is any way I could get a copy?. I know yours might not be 100% like you say, but at least seems better than the one online you mention. And it looked/sounded, pretty good from here

VigilSerus

Guys gals n guitars
Reaction score
sharing is caring :wavey:

hehehe, is any way I could get a copy?. I know yours might not be 100% like you say, but at least seems better than the one online you mention. And it looked/sounded, pretty good from here

For sure. Actually I'll just post it here for anyone who wants it.

Let me clean it up and do a last proof read, and I'll update this post with a link. :yesway:^^

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
I just endlessly fell in love with polaris, it's so easy on the ears and theres not to much singing or to much forced heavyness. It kinda flows to me and it doesnt get boring either.

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
I just finished my first listen of Polaris and holy space ...., it's the first Tesseract CD that I've liked. This is a damn good CD.

EDIT: really? t i t s is censored?

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
The thing I find sad with music listeners is how album x is always compared to bands earlier albums. It should be seen as a new thing - uncomparable in some sense. It's art and it tries different ways to approach things, this needs to be respected and it is not a sequel nor a product. I see this with dan the most - he toned down the heavy singing / screams and approached a more easier for live style, it simply all felt more real with a live approach - I dig this.

One weird thing is that after about 20 full album listens I can't remember ANY passages from songs other than the first 2 ones. Something about the first two ones just stuck to the head. And for the rest... the better because the surprise effect lasts long :)

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
The thing I find sad with music listeners is how album x is always compared to bands earlier albums. It should be seen as a new thing - uncomparable in some sense. It's art and it tries different ways to approach things, this needs to be respected and it is not a sequel nor a product. I see this with dan the most - he toned down the heavy singing / screams and approached a more easier for live style, it simply all felt more real with a live approach - I dig this.

I get what you're saying, but couldn't you also argue that since the artist has already expressed themselves, a certain standard of quality is by default established? Fans in general will have a certain level of expectation - for example if blah blah shred guitarist released a total masterpiece and then some boring 4 chord rock album, people would presumably be a bit thrown off and disappointed. If you only observe the product in isolation, frankly I envy you. That mentality allows for totally fresh observation, but many of us, myself included tend to remember "So and so was capable of X-Y-Z before, so what is this remarkably uninteresting junk?"

Taking into account previous creations allows for someone to see a progression or change. Hopefully, this is a positive thing in a creative sense, but sometimes its not so great. If a brilliant album is followed by a safe album, it's going to disappoint a significant amount of people.