Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

CRaul87

Reaction score
I think you should go by this motto: "I'm too poor to buy cheap shit"

1). set neck does not automatically mean better sustain...craftsmanship plays a huge role and so does the quality of the woods..
2). the 2127z has hands down the absolute best higher fret access u can have on a superstrat shape guitar body.
3). Yes, theoretically the Schecter pickups are higher value and quality than the Ibanez ones, but do you like the active or the passive pickup sound?

I have the 2127z for some time now and I still think it absolutely radiates quality in it's craftsmanship and wood quality... I did replace the stock pups to a Dimarzio DA and a AN though

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Turgon

Reaction score
You can't gather which guitar'd be the better one only from looking at the building materials and hardware brands.

You're totally forgetting overall craftmanship, the build in general (neck dimensions) or the combination of the materials (basswood with maple has a different tone than all mahogany).

I myself own 2 C-7 Hellraisers and 2 Ibanez 7s... I love them all for different reasons. They play all fantastic, although I have to admit, that the building quality of the prestige Ibanez is superior! That doesn't mean, the schecters are bad, but you get the idea!

IMO you have to play both by yourself to make your final decision!

sell2792

Reaction score
You could always score a minty Ibanez RG1527 or 7620 and put whatever pickups you want in it, and have the best of both worlds for less money.

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
I ordered the Schecter SLS C-7, so I'll be posting a "review" in about a month (whenever it comes in).

:)

If you haven't made your choice by then, perhaps I can shed some light! the problem with the SLS series is that it still hasn't shipped yet and no one has really gave it a test spin. The biggest problem with Schecter some people have is the thicker neck, but the SLS provides a thinner neck... :p so I don't know!

I'm hoping it'll be epic! It'll be my first upgrade from shitty yard sale six strings to a real guitar...and 7 strings. :D

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to it. If they made a blue PT SLS with the FS and Sustaniac and a Floyd Rose, I'd be all over that.

Yeah! I had such a hard time deciding what I wanted. Eventually I went with the Satin Black and the active pick ups, since I've always preferred active vs. passives. But the sustainiac/fullshred combos make it very tempting.

Not only that, but they have a FR 8 string version! Jeez! Lol.

Anyway, yeah. I'll have it sometime mid-March and post some review/thoughts on it :)

RuffeDK

Reaction score
From the specs I would stick with the Schecter, but as a Ibby Prestige guy here, I know what the RGD-series are like - awesome !

It's two guitars from two different worlds. (Headache vs Orgasm, if you ask me)

Try them out, see what you like.

Zado

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to it. If they made a blue PT SLS with the FS and Sustaniac and a Floyd Rose, I'd be all over that.
They are proly gonna make coloured SLS PTs during the year,that's what I heard:agreed:

I'd say SLS,I've got a sincere antipathy for ibanez,never felt allright when playing them,but that's a limit of mine i guess:scratch:

But the one with fullshred.So much love for that pup

samdaman87

Metal Cholo
Reaction score
RG7321 VS BC Rich KKV

Kind of stuck in between these two because I want to play some Thrash, 80's heavy metal. But I also want to play some death groove tunes on a 7-string. Can the RG7321 do those two things for me?? It's hard for me to let go playing some King Diamond on guitar....but I also want to play some Soil Work and In Flames. Not to mention some technical stuff like Opeth.

nickel

6/7/8
Reaction score
since this is a vs forum, i thought "why not?"
I play alot of adventurous metal, and a lot of jazz (im the guitarist in the jazz band at school) so i was thinking either save some cash and get a jackson slat 7, or get a schecter 8 string. I know the slat has emgs but i kind of enjoy them for jazz, they really bring out a bright sound imo. the reason in considering the 8 is, of course tosin abasi, i really like the drop e tuning. anyway, help me out!

BabUShka

Reaction score
I cant tell you anything about the Ibanez.
But if you want bang for buck, Schecters would be my best choise.
I own now two Schecters, Hellraiser and Blackjack ATX; and they are both good quality guitars. Especially for the price they go for, imo they are unebatable.
I dont mind the thicker necks, imo they add more resonans to the sound which is important for me. And 26.6" scale is a good thing for 7s.
But the SLS is supposed to come with thinner necks. That might be a thing to consider.
But honestly, there is much hate on Schecters on this forum and many falce blamings about their quality. I cant really see why. Because for under $1000 this is as good as you can get. I've even heard people prefering Loomis C7 better than Hallraiser because of the thinner neck of loomis. But a "friend" of my who owns a loomis and tried the Hellraiser, clams the necks to be identical.

So try both Ibanez and Schecters, and dont listen to allt he flaming on this forum, If you like Schecters, go with it.

Vinchester

Reaction score
I have played/owned a few diamond series Schecters and I think the quality of tonewood they use is not very good. I'd go RGD2127, but that also depends on whether you like basswood!

littledoc

Go meat!
Reaction score
Really dude? This is your third thread on this. If you haven't figured it out by now:

• There's nothing "better" about maple or ebony over rosewood. What is paramount is the quality of the wood, and the wood on an Ibanez Prestige is of the highest quality. I've owned five Carvins, four with ebony boards and one with birdseye maple. The rosewood on my RGD2127Z is beautiful and every bit on par. Ditto with the basswood body, which is even more resonate than my old koa Carvin. Why do you think you can get a mahogany S-series Ibanez for a few hundred bucks, but the high-end Ibanez Jems all use basswood? All wood is not created equal. That's lutherie 101.
  • Set and through-necks do not increase sustain. The neck on the 2127Z is a five-piece maple/wenge neck with titanium reinforcement, which makes it incredibly stable (rarely goes out of tune), and it's finished in a super-smooth satin.
  • The Edge Zero is a remarkable trem and, if you want a guitar with a trem, it is for my money the best trem on the market along with the ZR bridges.
  • The Ibanez V-series pickups are excellent. If you don't personally care for their sound, swap them, but their quality is not an issue.
That's all the homework I'm gonna do for you bud. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Schecter. It's a fine buy for the cash. But never try to compare an Indo guitar to a Prestige. And please, quit making the same thread over and over.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Quality > Features

Ever heard the term "polished turd"?

I'm not saying that the Schecter is crap in general, but in comparison to an RGD2127Z, it's crap.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Blackjack series are far from crap.. Quality and sound wise.
Considering the price, they are 1000x better thna crap. Have you ever tried a Blackjack at all? If no, then you have nothing to say here. There are few guitars in the same price range as Blackjacks that are better sounding and better quality. Try one before expressing yourself.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Blackjack series are far from crap.. Quality and sound wise.
Considering the price, they are 1000x better thna crap. Have you ever tried a Blackjack at all? If no, then you have nothing to say here. There are few guitars in the same price range as Blackjacks that are better sounding and better quality. Try one before expressing yourself.

I've played many. Never owned one, but they're the most commen guitar to be in the guitar stores around me. Like I said, they're not crap in general. But when compared to the Prestige, it is. Build quality, wood selection, everything is *for the most part* better on the Prestige guitars. That's why they're $1600 and the Schecter is $900.

It's not like I'm calling the dude stupid for considering the Schecter or anything.

Alpenglow

music and shat
Reaction score
I would buy the Ibanez, it's generally of better quality. Lower end Ibanez guitars do need a pup change, but higher end models like the RGD2127z seem to have decent stock pickups. Like Valennic said:
asking about bang for buck when you post a guitar thats almost half the price of the other doesn't make too much sense man.
To me it sounds like you want us to convince you to buy the SLS... you seem like that's what you want. And remember... get what you want!
Keep in mind though: The RGD2127z will be of unquestionably better quality than the SLS, and fretboard wood is very much a preference. Just because ebony is more expensive does not mean it is better than rosewood. Also, bolt on necks can have just as much sustain as a set neck or a neck-thru. Some guitarists prefer bolt on necks, like Misha.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
Schecter, hands down.

Woods don't affect amplified tone nearly as much people would have you believe. You'll certainly hear a difference playing acoustically, but once you jack in, forget it. Before your head explodes: http://www.stormriders.com/guitar/telecaster/guitar_wood.pdf

The Blackjack series is on par with anything Ibanez makes in the $8-900 range. I speak from experience. There's not a single error on my ATX C-7. It's loaded with $200 pickups (don't forget to add that to the price of the Ibby) and contrary to popular belief, Schecter doesn't load up their ebony boards with the shittiest stuff they can find.

I find it funny that you think Blackouts are the best pups out there, though.

the britt shredder

Why Else?
Reaction score
samdaman87: get the ibanez, 7 strings can work as 6 strings you just have to get used to the new neck size and its not an enormous change.

nickel: get the 8 because of the same reason i gave samdaman87. and also schecter normally has EMG's in their guitars any way so you'll be fine