Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I have 2 min guitars: early 2000 rg550 and an evh Wolfgang special.

I also have 4made in Korea guitars: 3 different prs se models (torero, se245, and mike musok baritone) and a schecter blackjack sls c7 which.i know is made in the same factory as the ltds.

Point being, the quality of my mik guitars meets (and frequently beats) my mij guitars and other mij and us made guitars.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sacredl

Reaction score
That's what I was looking for. And props for an rg550. Bought one 2 months (early 2000 as well) ago and that's one of the best axes I've ever played :).

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
One for the bassists out there.
I'm off to bass direct some point next week to try these bad boys!

1#
Yamaha - TRB 1006J, Caramel - black - £659
link
trb1006Jfront590.jpg

2#
Yamaha - TRB 1006J, Caramel - orange - £689
link
1006Front.jpg

3#
MTD - KZ 6 - Natural - £850
link
KZ6NatFront.jpg

4#
Marleaux - Consat Custom 6 - £1500
link
marleauxfront.jpg

5#
Clover - Avenger.6 - £1699
link
Cloverfront.jpg

6#
Spector Euro 6 LX EX TW Poplar Burl Top - £1799
link

LX6Front.jpg

Cheers

Reaction score
I got a bass dilemma too. A few 5 strings here

Ibanez SR505
Ibanez SR405QR

I'm not done looking yet, but I've always liked ibanezs, but don't know which brands are best known for their basses. I'm into metal with a little electronica here and there too.

Dropsonic

Black Hole Refugee
Reaction score
Here's one. Used JP6 or find a nice used RGA121 and upgrade the pickups?

Depends mostly on the price, but I'd go for the JP6. The RGA 121 is a great guitar, and definitely one of my favorite Ibanez 6 stringers, but the JP6 should be the more solid choice.

Toxic Dover

Reaction score
Depends mostly on the price, but I'd go for the JP6. The RGA 121 is a great guitar, and definitely one of my favorite Ibanez 6 stringers, but the JP6 should be the more solid choice.

The JPs are very nice guitars... The local GC here has had a pearl blue JP6 hanging in the used section for about a month now and it's taunting me, lol. They want $1449 for it, though... It does have a piezo(sp?) system on it, but it's not a BFR model. Think that sounds about correct price wise, or is it a bit high?

stevexc

Reaction score
I got a bass dilemma too. A few 5 strings here

Ibanez SR505
Ibanez SR405QR

I'm not done looking yet, but I've always liked ibanezs, but don't know which brands are best known for their basses. I'm into metal with a little electronica here and there too.

I picked up the SR505 a few years ago, it's an awesome bass. I like the pickups on the 505 better, but they are actives so if that's a hassle you may be better off with the 405 - but you may need to swap those out for better passives anyways.

They both play very similarly, though. Ibanez is usually my first choice for metal basses, very light and fast.

Unrelated, I'm looking for my first seven and I'm stuck between these two:

Ibanez SR827Z
Jackson SLATZMGQ3-7 Soloist

Sorry if the links don't work. The Jackson is negligibly more, about $50, but it's got a Floyd (which I could eventually swap out for an Original, I think) and EMGs - however, I haven't played a Jackson in a long time and the few Dinkys I've played felt too chunky to me. I've played a very similar Ibanez though so I know roughly how that feels, and it feels good - the only issue is I'd end up wanting to swap the pups and I've heard mixed reviews on the Edge-Zero.

How do the necks compare? I can't seem to find hard and fast measurements for the Jackson, aside from the nut, 12th fret thickness, and radius - but it seems relatively similar, multiradius aside. Also, how does the Edge-Zero II-7 compare to the FR Special?

I would just pick them both up and try them out, but nowhere around me has the Jackson in stock - plus I'm sure I'd miss some differences you guys may have noticed.

Orsinium

Reaction score
Looking to get a backup 7 to accompany my eight string with D'activators.
My two choices are a Sterling JP70 or PRS SE 7

PRS SE 7 opinions:
+Love the finish
+Like speed knobs and look of PRS
+Hard tail could be nice would be easy for putting on new strings
+Mahogany w/ flamed maple top
- 25in scale length
- I know nothing about the pickups
- Cost a bit more than Sterling JP70 around 700

Sterling JP70
+ I have always wanted a musicman guitar but have never had the money
+ I love john petrucci
+ Fender style trem
+ Finish also looks great I am partial to the green
+ Cheaper than PRS being around 600
- Doesn't come with Dimarzio's
- Apparently guitarcenter will only have it in black (tired of black guitars)
- I have never played a Sterling and I know nothing about the quality

Right now I am just wondering do I want to use a tremolo and do I want a bolt on or set neck. Also if the Sterling pickups end up being not the great I could swap in JP ones without it costing much more than the PRS.

Orsinium

Reaction score
Unrelated, I'm looking for my first seven and I'm stuck between these two:

Ibanez SR827Z
Jackson SLATZMGQ3-7 Soloist

Sorry if the links don't work. The Jackson is negligibly more, about $50, but it's got a Floyd (which I could eventually swap out for an Original, I think) and EMGs - however, I haven't played a Jackson in a long time and the few Dinkys I've played felt too chunky to me. I've played a very similar Ibanez though so I know roughly how that feels, and it feels good - the only issue is I'd end up wanting to swap the pups and I've heard mixed reviews on the Edge-Zero.

How do the necks compare? I can't seem to find hard and fast measurements for the Jackson, aside from the nut, 12th fret thickness, and radius - but it seems relatively similar, multiradius aside. Also, how does the Edge-Zero II-7 compare to the FR Special?

I would just pick them both up and try them out, but nowhere around me has the Jackson in stock - plus I'm sure I'd miss some differences you guys may have noticed.

I say if you would end up changing the pickups out of the jackson just go with the Ibanez then (I am assuming you would be swapping in passive pickups) I have played a couple Ibby prestiges and a Jackson soloist I say the Ibanez is much better imho, then again that was a prestige not premium. I like my edge zero on my s7 and I personally hate the original floyd because of the string locking being on the back of the bridge instead of the front.

EricSVT18

Reaction score
LTD AW-7 vs Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7. I've heard great things about both guitars. I play in drop A but mostly drop G#. The aw-7 is 25.5" scale and the c-7 is 26.5" so I think that would probably be a bit better for drop G#. They both look so good. The satin black with the binding on the schecter looks too damn good in my opinion.

Opinions?

zilla

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
i don;t know about drop G#, but i would go with the LTD.

I think for the price, you should be comparing the Blackjack SLS C-7 to the LTD.

I have learned to hate having a TOM bridge.. the strings between the TOM bridge and the body need to be dampened otherwise they will resonate. I much prefer the fixed bridge style like the AW-7

If the neck profile on the AW-7 is the same as the LTD H-1007, then it's virtually identical to the blackjack SLS c-7, which is super comfortable.

EricSVT18

Reaction score
What attracted me to the schecter was the 26.5" scale, the LTDs don't have that. I've always been an ESP guy. My current 7 string is a ibanez rg7321. Not a bad first 7 but I'm use to higher quality guitars.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so with my tax return, I want to get at least one new toy for myself (since the rest will go towards savings, credit card, and rent). So here we go;

Ibanez RG3XXV Laser Blue, $700 (Plays awesome, I want a 6 string to keep in Standard D/Drop C, awesome neck, REAL DiMarzios already installed, only work I would do is block the trem)
vs.
Ibanez RG8 Black, $400 (Because, well, I want to get an 8 string dammit haha. For that price, I imagine it would be a fun project to customize, as well as adjust to 8 strings)
vs.
Carvin DC747 used, $600 (Not sure how long this offer will last, but the price is right, and I would like a 7 string to keep tuned down half step/Drop Ab)

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
Tax time and I'm looking for a new guitar, thinking either a Ibanez S570DXQM or a B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST or STQ.
Like the look of the mockingbird, and the versatility is nice; none of my other 6s have a trem and I don't use the one on my seven much, actually prefer the feel of hard tails over Floyd but as I said versatility is a selling feature on this one.

Ibby's are appealing too, but I don't want it just because of the name.

Crabface

Reaction score
Hey guys.
Gonna use this for prog-rock/metal and they're all gonna have similar specs. Which should I go for?
I'm leaning towards a 7-string version of the mayones as its exactly the specs that I want but it's twice the price of the carvin and I can't pay in installments. I haven't really looked into skerveson.

Basics = Maple Neck Thru w/ Swamp Ash Wings and a Claro Walnut top.
Tung Oil finish, Bare Knuckle Blackhawks.
If its a Mayones or skerveson I'm gonna go for the Hannes Bridge and if if its Carvin or Skerveson I'm gonna get SS frets.

Francis978

Reaction score
Carvin Fatboy H2 Allan holdsworth signature or the HH2 Allan holdsworth signature headless guitar?

More then likely it would be tuned to drop B, and the biggest thing to me is could I do that easily to a headless? Alter tunings I mean. That is kind of the deal breaker here.

ayaotd

Reaction score
(POSTED IN WRONG THREAD SORRY) I am posting this for a friend.

I have my guitar tuned in drop A right now to keep it safe from neck warping but I really like drop B tuning, Drop A is too low for what I'm doing and i want to go back to B safely but I think the strings I have are way too thick.

I read somewhere about the whole deal of not being able to achieve perfect intonation on this scale of guitar for the low A.
How true can I get the intonation for the B string?

These are the strings I have on the guitar. I would be willing to compensate for the string pressure by making other strings much lighter and I've assigned order of preference for the strings I care most about keeping the current gauge of string. 1 being important, 6 being least.

6 Db- 0.012
4 G#- 0.016
2 E- 0.032
3 B- 0.036 (One of these two strings is the second biggest/a string for light gauge)
5 F#- 0.042
1 B- 0.080 (I know this is retarded but it sounds amazing and I would be willing to compensate for its pressure on the guitar by using lighter strings elsewhere)

The guitar is a 24.75 scale. The guitar is a Epiphone Wilshire Pro

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
^ Not sure how intonation will go but assuming you can get the strings through the various holes, etc, you won't break anything.