Votes: 20 51.3%

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
Right, here we go for a first post...

I've had a JP7 for a few years now and it's pretty good. However, I miss a decent floating trem and the pickup selector is in the wrong place (keep hitting it when strumming...). The low B is always getting snagged in the bridge so goes sharp as well. Niggling issues? Maybe, but it's these things that stop me really loving the guitar. It's major distiguishing point is the piezo - love it.

So... I've got about £1500 ($1700?) for a new 7. Do I go for an Ibby RG752AHM then do a piezo mod, or a Kiesel, or something else? Needs to be a floating trem; body needs to be pointy.

If you go on reverb I believe there's one or two prestige models for sale with piezo already. That being said I've own prestige ibanez guitars and a few JP7 models and BFR models and personally I find the Music Man way better I'm absolutely In love with their trem (all personal preference) but I'm suprised you dont like the layout of the controls it was pretty well laid out I thought, unless you're a strummer then ya i guess it would be a problem. You can even do a reverb search of piezo to see what comes up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

r33per

Reaction score
...I'm suprised you dont like the layout of the controls it was pretty well laid out I thought, unless you're a strummer then ya i guess it would be a problem.

You nailed it :nutkick:

That selector switch location is great for an anchored hand when playing, but as soon as I have any movement in it (e.g. strumming) I just can't seem to avoid it...

Sloppy technique, I guess!

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
You nailed it :nutkick:

That selector switch location is great for an anchored hand when playing, but as soon as I have any movement in it (e.g. strumming) I just can't seem to avoid it...

Sloppy technique, I guess!

Well then I would go PRS or Suhr, I know Suhr makes 7 strings with I credible trems you can't go wrong man.

Neytle

Reaction score
Guys. Help me to choose. Carvin 747 (1000$), Ibanez u7s(900$), 7620(625$), 7621(535$!), schecter hr c7 (535$), I need well made price quality guitar for long run

Milchek

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at 3 options seriously:
  1. Ibanez Prestige RGD2127FX (either new, or second hand with Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient combo)
  2. FGN Expert EEL-DE-7 ELAN
  3. S7G Cobra 7 Baritone
I will test the Ibanez and S7G tomorrow, but the FGN I cannot get my hands on as it's from Japan and would need to be imported. I have experience with Ibanez and love their necks (my current daily 6 is an old Japanese made Destroyer with BKP Aftermaths).

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the bridge, the S7G has a hipshot, which I like, and BKP Juggernauts, for a similar price. Downside is there is only a fret marker at the 12th (I know, what kind of hack am I if I need fret markers!) and being a baritone it's "extended" length (27.5") which could be overkill.

The FGN i don't know much about other than it has hardware and specs I like, and looks alright. Helps that it's relatively unique in the sense there aren't too many cats rockin FGN's out there.

Any advice, gents? Is there a particular brand or model that sticks out as a no-no? Also, the S7G seems relatively cheap for what it is (made in USA too) - is there a red flag here?

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
My
I'm currently looking at 3 options seriously:
  1. Ibanez Prestige RGD2127FX (either new, or second hand with Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient combo)
  2. FGN Expert EEL-DE-7 ELAN
  3. S7G Cobra 7 Baritone
I will test the Ibanez and S7G tomorrow, but the FGN I cannot get my hands on as it's from Japan and would need to be imported. I have experience with Ibanez and love their necks (my current daily 6 is an old Japanese made Destroyer with BKP Aftermaths).

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the bridge, the S7G has a hipshot, which I like, and BKP Juggernauts, for a similar price. Downside is there is only a fret marker at the 12th (I know, what kind of hack am I if I need fret markers!) and being a baritone it's "extended" length (27.5") which could be overkill.

The FGN i don't know much about other than it has hardware and specs I like, and looks alright. Helps that it's relatively unique in the sense there aren't too many cats rockin FGN's out there.

Any advice, gents? Is there a particular brand or model that sticks out as a no-no? Also, the S7G seems relatively cheap for what it is (made in USA too) - is there a red flag here?

The S7G gets my vote. You can always get those miniature labels and stick them on your fretboard. :lol:

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
get a cheap "good" guitar like a schec or ec1000 or korean 00's ibby like an AX or SZ or save up for a used J custom, Jem 7v or unloaded JP6?

Milchek

Reaction score
After testing out several guitars over the weekend. Some of the guitars I tried, along with notes, are below. It seems I'm an Ibanez man, which makes sense, I grew up with an old Destoyer, so I guess I just got too used to the neck profile.

For reference I tested all of these without plugging in, what I was looking at is the feel mainly. I did get to try the S7G through an amp, but it was some small solid state practice amp that left a bit to be desired - or maybe it's just my playing :(

S7G Cobra Baritone
Really nice actually, had pretty good specs in terms of hardware and setup. 27.5" scale, hipshot, stainless frets, ebony fretboard and bkp juggernauts. The downside for me was the matte satin finish, a small ding on the top, and some rough fretwork around where the binding is. It felt a little 'raw' as a result.

Schecter C7 Apocalypse / Schecter Banshee Elite 7
Bundling these as they felt very similar in my hands despite some differences. For me trialing all of these was really about getting an idea of the necks, as that seems to be wear I can "feel" the most difference in guitars. Body material and weight makes little difference to me as I don't gig, so I'm sitting with the guitar anyway and I doubt I'd be able to tell between two identical guitars with different wood tops. So for me it's all about the neck, pickups, hardware, and fretboard (rosewood seems to be the one for me). What I will say about these Korean made guitars is they are pretty well put together, I couldn't see any real issues that stood out, even when played side by side and compared to Ibanez Prestige (Japanese made) and the aforementioned S7G (which had some minor issues). In the end, neck and aesthetics weren't for me.

LTD Horizon Limited Edition Koa Baritone 7
This thing looked the goods, but unfortunately the one in the shop had some blemishes and marks around the body and even the pickups were starting to look a little tarnished (they're a brushed metallic looking finish so it's easy to see). It felt great, and again, looked amazing in person. Overall though I decided against it because of the neck, and the relative price (pretty expensive for what you're getting in my opinion - despite Koa being rarer)

LTD Eclipse Baritone 7
Another example that despite being the cheaper 'LTD' Korean made stuff you can still get a really nicely built guitar. This thing was actually really fun to play, probably the number 2 preference guitar I played on the day, even despite the fact that it didn't have that Wizard Ibanez neck profile I've become accustomed to. Finish was beautiful on the model I tried (Transparent Black EC-407) - I think it was flamed maple over mahogany, just felt really nice in the lap and the rosewood fingerboard was super nice despite the slightly thicker neck profile (that I'm used to anyway). 27" scale, again, still considering this one.

Ibanez Prestige RG752FX Sub Purple & Ibanez Prestige RG752LWFX AGB
These were my favorite guitars on the day. The Sub Purple RG752FX just edged out the LWFX because of price point (which is lower as it doesn't have the binding and limba top) only downsides were that it had some scratches/scuffs on it already, but it was heavily reduced. I did try to bargain a little more ($150 AUD below asking price) but the seller refused to accept or counter, so I walked away. Wizard rosewood necks just felt the best to me, really easy to move around on and play. Hardware and specs were decent on this one too, Dimarzio PAFs, and the basswood body was great even though it was perhaps a touch light. The two felt identical though, aside from the LWFX being a touch heavier - which I'm guessing is because of the limba top and added binding etc.

In the end I walked away from all of this thinking the RG752FX is the one to get, but I don't mind waiting till a better example comes up, or even something second hand. I have also considered the RGD2127FX, which has different specs (26.5" scale for one) but I can't get my hands on one to test, and the guys that sell em are interstate and can't get them in anyway. So for now the waiting game continues until the right guitar comes up.

One very important thing I learned through all this is that in the end it's all just what feels right. I though that I'd be walking out with the Koa Baritone 7 when i drove to the guitar shop, but after trying everything I tried I knew that it would be the wrong purchase. I really like the aesthetic on some guitars and the specs, but the necks just felt wrong, or the finish wasn't great.

Olorin

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm struggling to decide which guitar I should pick as my 1st 7string.

Schecter Damien Elite 7
Vs
Ibanez RGIR27FE

I can get both at around the same price, and only online, as I can't find any of those in local shops (so unable to try any).
I want to play Thrash, death, deathcore, djent metal, and influenced by Whitechapel, carnifex, Oceano, The Black Dhalia Murder, Thy art is murder, etc.

Can you guys help me out? Any suggestions besides those 2 at the same price?

Thank you so much in advance! \m/

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Guys. Help me to choose. Carvin 747 (1000$), Ibanez u7s(900$), 7620(625$), 7621(535$!), schecter hr c7 (535$), I need well made price quality guitar for long run

If you can afford it...747 or u7s for sure. If money is a big issue, I'd do the 7621. Schecters get old really fast imo.

Milchek

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm struggling to decide which guitar I should pick as my 1st 7string.

Schecter Damien Elite 7
Vs
Ibanez RGIR27FE

I'd go with the Ibanez as personal preference, but for you it will come down to the pickups. The Ibanez has 707s, the Schecter has 81-7 and 85-7 pickups. If possible try to find some other guitars near you with these and have a listen.

I can't find any info on the scale length of the Ibanez, but the Schecter is 26.5" which in my opinion is perfect. Both have rosewood fretboards (bound) but the Ibanez will probably be lighter as it's basswood, the Schecter is mahogany. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if it were my money I'd be on the Ibanez (because I prefer their Wizard necks).

Olorin

Reaction score
I'd go with the Ibanez as personal preference, but for you it will come down to the pickups. The Ibanez has 707s, the Schecter has 81-7 and 85-7 pickups. If possible try to find some other guitars near you with these and have a listen.

I can't find any info on the scale length of the Ibanez, but the Schecter is 26.5" which in my opinion is perfect. Both have rosewood fretboards (bound) but the Ibanez will probably be lighter as it's basswood, the Schecter is mahogany. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if it were my money I'd be on the Ibanez (because I prefer their Wizard necks).

Thanks for the input mate!

I think the Ibanez has 25.5 scale length, which in my understanding is somehow worse for string tension in lower tunings, compared to the schecter 26.5.

Other difference is the bridge, that is fixed hardtail on both, but the Ibanez has a Gibraltar standard II-7 compared to the schecter custom hardtail. Is this of any relevance?

Also, there seems to be more flexibility on the Ibanez given the Killswitch control, but with no tone regulation... Right? Not really important?

The 81-7/85-7 EMG pickups seem more versatile and future proof to me. I don't know if I'm right, but I read somewhere that the 85-7's are actually the same thing as 707's, so this would give me a wider range of possibilities if I ever feel like swapping the bridge pickup with the neck one. Can anyone give some input on this?

Finally, the body being mahogany on the schecter, I feel like being a significant pro towards a better metal tone and playability in general. Is this a wrong understanding?

Well, I'm still a bit confused and undecided but slightly inclined to the schecter.

Any more thoughts and inputs?

Thank you so much for the help!

Cheers!

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Thanks for the input mate!

I think the Ibanez has 25.5 scale length, which in my understanding is somehow worse for string tension in lower tunings, compared to the schecter 26.5.

Other difference is the bridge, that is fixed hardtail on both, but the Ibanez has a Gibraltar standard II-7 compared to the schecter custom hardtail. Is this of any relevance?

Also, there seems to be more flexibility on the Ibanez given the Killswitch control, but with no tone regulation... Right? Not really important?

The 81-7/85-7 EMG pickups seem more versatile and future proof to me. I don't know if I'm right, but I read somewhere that the 85-7's are actually the same thing as 707's, so this would give me a wider range of possibilities if I ever feel like swapping the bridge pickup with the neck one. Can anyone give some input on this?

Finally, the body being mahogany on the schecter, I feel like being a significant pro towards a better metal tone and playability in general. Is this a wrong understanding?

Well, I'm still a bit confused and undecided but slightly inclined to the schecter.

Any more thoughts and inputs?

Thank you so much for the help!

Cheers!

I find the QC on Schecter's to be better and more consistent than on Iron Label and Standard series Ibanez guitars. I think you are more likely to end up with a nicer instrument going with this Schecter (although you never know what you'll get).

Scale Length: The scale length is largely personal preference. You will get more tension and a reduction in lower frequencies with a longer scale but this isn't always needed or liked... it depends on the player. If you are tuning down below G# then the longer length is definitely helpful, but not necessary.

Pickups: The 707 is not the same as the 85-7.

Wood: Any wood can play metal and you can find well-known metal players playing basswood Ibanez guitars. Aside from tonal differences, basswood is a softer wood and is more likely to dent/chip though.

Choice: ultimately this is up to you, for me I'd grab the Schecter, but assuming both are made well without any major quality issues then it's really personal preference.

lilyoz

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a 7 string in the next few weeks. I'm not a beginner to guitar and have owned expensive guitars in the past, but definitely a beginner to 7 string. Do you think I should spend somewhere in the ~$1000 category and get something like a Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid or Ibanez RG1527 or go with something a bit more like the ESP E-II HORIZON NT-7 EVERTUNE?

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
If you haven't played an Evertune equipped guitar, try it first. Especially if you have a marked vibrato/bending technique, it may not suit your playing.
If that's your budget an Ibby Prestige is the way to go IMHO

ZombieLloyd

Not one 7 string
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having a hard time choosing between 3 guitars. First is the Washburn Solar V with the Evertune bridge. Second is a Schecter Jeff Loomis V. Third is the Jeff Loomis Cygnus. If I get the Schecter V I'll be swapping the EMGs for Loomis's signature SD Blackouts. Which model is the better choice?

Elwood

Reaction score
Jackson Dominion vs ESP Horizon (passive and hard tail) vs PRS CE.

I'm looking at playability and a focus on metal but the ability to get a decent clean and rock sound. Open to other suggestions as well.

MoonJelly

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm having a hard time choosing between 3 guitars. First is the Washburn Solar V with the Evertune bridge. Second is a Schecter Jeff Loomis V. Third is the Jeff Loomis Cygnus. If I get the Schecter V I'll be swapping the EMGs for Loomis's signature SD Blackouts. Which model is the better choice?

That Loomis Cygnus won't disappoint.

Jackson Dominion vs ESP Horizon (passive and hard tail) vs PRS CE.

I'm looking at playability and a focus on metal but the ability to get a decent clean and rock sound. Open to other suggestions as well.

ESP is the obvious choice between the three.

Kyle-Vick

Also likes Jeeps and Motocross.
Reaction score
I need help making a decision as I am extremely indecisive and keep going back and forth on what to do. Let me first start by listing what I have for guitars; I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio, MIJ Ibanez RG520, MIM Fender Strat (SSS), and an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I recently traded my LTD EC-400 with EMGs for a MIJ Ibanez RG7420. My dilemma is, now I need a D standard guitar as the LTD was used for this. I have a buddy who is interested in the Epiphone, so I have been thinking about selling that to him to purchase something else to setup in D. I have been slowly replacing my instruments with MIJ and MIA models, so I was looking at getting a Fender USA SSH or HH, Fender USA HH Telecaster, Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute Gold Top, LTD M1000, ESP Horizon or MII, PRS S2 Custom 24, or an Ibanez Prestige. I mainly play heavier stuff, but dabble around in some clean and bluesy stuff. I can’t decide whether I should just keep the Epiphone and swap all of the hardware and pickups out for better stuff or unload it and get something else. Let me know your opinions and if you have any other suggestions.

MoonJelly

Reaction score
You sound like a collector. As in, don't sell your guitars, just save your money and buy more. You'll miss any guitar you sell.