Votes: 20 51.3%

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Hi Folks! Just entered here by recommendation :)

I´m looking for a new 7 string and fell in love with Schecter. All of them play very tight and have a great sound, and - most important for me - the b-string is allways tight, with no snaring or intonation problems (my Les Paul standard 7 with a 24'' Scale is a nightmare when it comes to intonation...) So I played a Schecter Jeff Loomis signature (very nice, but the shiny black body is a no go to me), and a Banshe 7 Elite (sadly out of my price range.).

Now I got two new candidates (but I have no oppurtunity to test it):

Banshe Extreme 7 (looks great! And when it plays as good as the elite, this will be mine ;) )
or
Banshee Damien Platinum 7 (but I don´t like the active PUs. And theres something between excitement and embarrassment, when it comes to the bat inlays...)

What kind of music we do: Iron Maiden with a death / thrash infusion. Some rock vibes, chords on the lower strings, no pure palmmute chuggah ;)

What would you recommend?

Thanks and regards

The Banshee. Looks better and I hate the feeling of TOMs compared to fixed bridges myself. The Platinum doesn't have pickups you'd use either. The Banshee is much better looking.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
schecter-c-1-apocalypse-rusty-grey-498360.jpg

or

C-1%20SLS%20ELITE%20ATQFB%20TILT.png

More keen on the Fishman pickups, but at the same time, the apocalypse pickups would be cool to try as well. And at any rate, the moment Keith Merrow drops his signature fishmans, whichever guitar I get will likely get them. I love both these finishes equally, and for different reasons. The apocalypse has this beautiful, yet "brutal" look to it, "brutiful" if you will. And the SLS elite has a prairie fire thing going on with the finish and looks a little more classy and traditionally beautiful. Having the SLS already wired for the fishman stuff does give it a little jump ahead, for me. But damn, having to choose almost isn't fair, but my budget only allows for one of the two.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Restarted

Reaction score
More keen on the Fishman pickups, but at the same time, the apocalypse pickups would be cool to try as well. And at any rate, the moment Keith Merrow drops his signature fishmans, whichever guitar I get will likely get them. I love both these finishes equally, and for different reasons. The apocalypse has this beautiful, yet "brutal" look to it, "brutiful" if you will. And the SLS elite has a prairie fire thing going on with the finish and looks a little more classy and traditionally beautiful. Having the SLS already wired for the fishman stuff does give it a little jump ahead, for me. But damn, having to choose almost isn't fair, but my budget only allows for one of the two.

Since it's a matter of finish only, I vote SLS.
If you weren't changing the pickups, my vote would also be for the SLS.
Get the SLS

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Jackson SLSMG
Ibbo S Classic 420
Schec C1+ (24.75)
Ibbo SZ
Ibbo ARZ 400
Wildcard: an Artcore of some kind, AGS, AM or AXD

mrfluffykinz

Schecter's Little Bitch
Reaction score
Depends on your style, but I just picked up a sunburst C1+ for $200 used, and it's a gorgeous guitar. Sounds good out of the box but will make a good mod platform too

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
I'd go for te SLS just for the finish (never tried the Fishman).
The first one has that 3 knob configuration which triggers me a bit:agreed: plus the finish is a bit "meh".

zarg

Reaction score
Next week I will order a new one. Six string.

Jackson Juggernaut HT6 Pro Series
vs PRS SE Mark Holcomb (most likely used)

Specs are fairly similiar but PRS has nicer pickups, but when getting the Jackson I'd have money left over for pickups. I prefer satin finishes, the PRS looks a bit cheap. I really liked the 7 string model of the jackson and prefer superstrats in general, but heard very good things considering the PRS quality. I plan on running this guitar in drop C mostly.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Not strictly a guitar dilemma BUT:

Line 6 Helix
Rack Mount vs Pedal Unit

I can live with either, one is more convenient for home (Rack) but the other is crazy good live (Pedal).

OfficerRaichu

Reaction score
First time posting!
(Before I catch hell about my amp, I'm goingoing to upgrade to an EVH iii soon)
So, there' a long story to go along with this, but I'll cut to the chase. Before we try for our second child, I get one last big purchase. Ibe narrowed down to 2 guitars: Ormsby HYPE GTR 7, or a Kiesel AM7. Opinions on either and which would you go with? If neither, multi scale 7 string recommendations under $1600 usd?

Restarted

Reaction score
First time posting!
(Before I catch hell about my amp, I'm goingoing to upgrade to an EVH iii soon)
So, there' a long story to go along with this, but I'll cut to the chase. Before we try for our second child, I get one last big purchase. Ibe narrowed down to 2 guitars: Ormsby HYPE GTR 7, or a Kiesel AM7. Opinions on either and which would you go with? If neither, multi scale 7 string recommendations under $1600 usd?
Backstory: I had a deadline on buying a guitar. My mother in law was bringing it to me and I needed one to be delivered to her before a certain date.
I've had both Ormsby and Kiesel as options before I bought my Schecter. Ormsby won, but logistically it was not possible. They had delays in WMI and they could not guarantee any delivery date as they didn't even know when WMI was doing their run.
Then I contacted Kiesel who asked for an extra 10% (so $200 on my build) so that the guitar is delivered before my deadline. That deadline was over 12 weeks from my inquiry, while their advertised build time was 9-10 weeks and I was quoted 10-12 weeks when I inquired.
If you decide to go with Kiesel, do not, under any circumstances, get something that is not returnable. Option 50s don't void the warranty, you just can't return a guitar you don't like if you get these options. HOWEVER, if something IS wrong with the guitar, good luck proving it in that case. Depending on how Jeff feels that day, it most likely will be your fault, you're nitpicking, or the guitar is in perfect condition and you just don't like it. When you can just return the guitar no questions asked, it's easier. That was my plan until they asked for extra money to stay on schedule.
There are currently 2 active threads with Kiesel horror stories. If that is a risk you're willing to take, go with Kiesel. When they do something right, they do it right.

tl;dr was torn between Ormsby and Kiesel. Chose Ormsby first, then Kiesel, and ended up with a Schecter

p.s ESP/LTD are releasing multiscales this year too so maybe keep that in mind as well.

OfficerRaichu

Reaction score
Backstory: I had a deadline on buying a guitar. My mother in law was bringing it to me and I needed one to be delivered to her before a certain date.
I've had both Ormsby and Kiesel as options before I bought my Schecter. Ormsby won, but logistically it was not possible. They had delays in WMI and they could not guarantee any delivery date as they didn't even know when WMI was doing their run.
Then I contacted Kiesel who asked for an extra 10% (so $200 on my build) so that the guitar is delivered before my deadline. That deadline was over 12 weeks from my inquiry, while their advertised build time was 9-10 weeks and I was quoted 10-12 weeks when I inquired.
If you decide to go with Kiesel, do not, under any circumstances, get something that is not returnable. Option 50s don't void the warranty, you just can't return a guitar you don't like if you get these options. HOWEVER, if something IS wrong with the guitar, good luck proving it in that case. Depending on how Jeff feels that day, it most likely will be your fault, you're nitpicking, or the guitar is in perfect condition and you just don't like it. When you can just return the guitar no questions asked, it's easier. That was my plan until they asked for extra money to stay on schedule.
There are currently 2 active threads with Kiesel horror stories. If that is a risk you're willing to take, go with Kiesel. When they do something right, they do it right.

tl;dr was torn between Ormsby and Kiesel. Chose Ormsby first, then Kiesel, and ended up with a Schecter

p.s ESP/LTD are releasing multiscales this year too so maybe keep that in mind as well.
I'll have to read into the horror story threads for sure then. When it was all carvin, I bought ALL of my amps and cabs for the road from them, and they were tough, reliable, and sounded great. However, I know with guitars it could be different for sure. The build time scares me a little as it is, so if delays are common, that may be a deal breaker.

OfficerRaichu

Reaction score
Now that I've read that, I've also considered the Legator Ninja 300 7 Pro series too. Has anyone played one?
One of my biggest concerns honestly is neck feel. Schecter necks always felt too beefy. I live Jackson necks, but don't care for Ibanez necks.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
trying to decide on getting the low end jackson warrior or just getting a xiphos again. hmmmm

OfficerRaichu

Reaction score
trying to decide on getting the low end jackson warrior or just getting a xiphos again. hmmmm

Honestly, with a few upgrades, the low end Jacksons aren't bad. I put hipshot tuners and emgs in my JS32T, and it's a pretty smooth playing, nice guitar for the money. A set up and upgraded tuners make a huge difference. The stock pickups aren't horrible, considering the price point either. If you go used too, they're a bargain. It made me want to pick up the JS22-7 after I finished that guitar, and I don't hate it for a budget 7.
I think QC can be spotty though. I played a couple of JS32 dinkys, and hated them. I may have just got lucky.

Anquished

hhnice!
Reaction score
Going to be visiting Andertons after my birthday in March to get a new 7. The two main ones I'm torn between is the Epiphone MKH 7 Snofall and a PRS SE SvN. I've gas'd for an SE 7 string for ages and fear that I've probably overhyped it to myself, the specs sound pretty good and going by the build quality of my 277, I'm confident it'll be awesome in that regard. I can't find any reviews on it though, which is a shame.

However I tried the black MKH7 a while back and really liked the feel of it, even the short scale length didn't bother me at all since the lowest I'll tune it to is A. Plus I prefer slinkier feeling strings. I didn't buy it because I couldn't afford it at the time. Also I've read and heard nothing but good things about them. Now that the Snofall version is out, I really like the white aesthetic.

So, thoughts? I know they're both wildly different spec wise, but if anyone has either guitar and can provide some insight I'd be grateful!

Annonnymous

Reaction score
RG827z vs RGD7320z

The RGD being 33% OFF, cause it's on sale, which means I'll have the money to buy a good pickup for the bridge

Is the quality comparable though? The RG is part of the Premium line, I didn't find information about the second one.
The RGD though has 26.5 scale and I'm kinda tired of my Schecter with 26.5 since I never go lower than... well, standart, I'm asking myself do I really need 26.5. And if I do, I already have my Schecter so, why not go 25.5 for fast riffs and shredding.

Can you please help me decide?

PS sorry for the extra large letters, I cannot find the button to make them smaller. Sorry!

Kyle-Vick

Also likes Jeeps and Motocross.
Reaction score
Should I trade my EVH 5153 50 Watt for a 6505+? My other amps are: 2ch Dual Rec, Stiletto, Rockerverb MKiii. It will only be used in my studio.