Votes: 21 52.5%

Votes: 19 47.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WhatIsAUserName

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Building a neck-through 8 string with a local luthier and am stuck between three different neck shapes;
A 'thin-U' neck (tried the ESP Snapper 7 and it felt really good, but was 7 string),
A IPNP neck (Have a Boden 8 string and the Endurneck feels really good, just a little too wide and I heard this neck was a great alternative for early Strandberg models),
and finally an Oviform neck (Haven't been able to try either but I hear great things of it). As such, what do you generally recommend or prefer?
Thanks.

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Bumping the just because I'm tired of that stupid fuckin thread on the top here

what a coincidinc can u help me decide?

Tom-Morello-Arm-The-Homeless-Credit-Press-1@1050x1400.jpg

vs

3ccdD93jNVCaAnBnkPAfUA.jpg

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd go for the Ibanez Prestige all day long, but would recommend that you try out both models before buying, as they will feel very different. I like Ibanez neck profiles, but they're not for everyone.

Just curious as to what people think- thanks. The only thing preventing me from buying that model is the Fender scale.

Potential late summer purchase. I have yet another schecter arriving today.

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I find asymmetrical neck profiles to be the most comfortable for ERG, so I would say oviform
Building a neck-through 8 string with a local luthier and am stuck between three different neck shapes;
A 'thin-U' neck (tried the ESP Snapper 7 and it felt really good, but was 7 string),
A IPNP neck (Have a Boden 8 string and the Endurneck feels really good, just a little too wide and I heard this neck was a great alternative for early Strandberg models),
and finally an Oviform neck (Haven't been able to try either but I hear great things of it). As such, what do you generally recommend or prefer?
Thanks.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Alright, i've got a legit vs. question for the Ibanez folks here: I've been wanting to pull the tried-and-true ss.org move of buying a used prestige. My #1 right now is still my old S7420, with the CL/LF set, and I'm still waiting for an S5527 to pop up, but until then - there's two RGDs that aren't too far away from me that have caught my eye. Both have cases, all the original bits, etc.

Between the available RGDs how would you compare these?

A) RGD2127Z
- black
- d-activators
- can't see any marks on it, seller says some of the matte paint has gone shiny
- Edge zero / ZPS

B) RGD3127
- orange
- lundgren m7
- "slight wear", I can't see any visible marks/flaws in the photos
- a bit more expensive
- Lo pro edge 7

Aesthetically, I appreciate that the 3127 is not just black. Because I'm used to the ZR bridge, I would guess I'd prefer the bridge on the 2127. Pickups can be changed easily enough that I'm not very concerned about them, but it's a bonus if I don't have to. They seem kinda similar otherwise. I assume the 3127 is just a newer version of the 2127 with a different bridge. I'd probably be throwing 10s on it and tuning in B-standard.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Edge zero w/ ZPS all day, but since you're playing in standard either will be fine. I'm a fan of the ZPS system, but everything is a tradeoff. The 3127 looks better IMO.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Alright, i've got a legit vs. question for the Ibanez folks here: I've been wanting to pull the tried-and-true ss.org move of buying a used prestige. My #1 right now is still my old S7420, with the CL/LF set, and I'm still waiting for an S5527 to pop up, but until then - there's two RGDs that aren't too far away from me that have caught my eye. Both have cases, all the original bits, etc.

Between the available RGDs how would you compare these?

A) RGD2127Z
- black
- d-activators
- can't see any marks on it, seller says some of the matte paint has gone shiny
- Edge zero / ZPS

B) RGD3127
- orange
- lundgren m7
- "slight wear", I can't see any visible marks/flaws in the photos
- a bit more expensive
- Lo pro edge 7

Aesthetically, I appreciate that the 3127 is not just black. Because I'm used to the ZR bridge, I would guess I'd prefer the bridge on the 2127. Pickups can be changed easily enough that I'm not very concerned about them, but it's a bonus if I don't have to. They seem kinda similar otherwise. I assume the 3127 is just a newer version of the 2127 with a different bridge. I'd probably be throwing 10s on it and tuning in B-standard.
Speaking as a happy owner of a 2010 RGD2127Z with aftermarket D Activators...

2127Z has a rosewood fretboard while the 3127 is maple. They have a different feel, as well as the obvious aesthetic difference. Do you have a preference on that?

The finish colour is clearly personal preference. The matte black 'Invisible Shadow' finish is prone to shiny patches where your skins rests on it as you play, but it only really shows when the light catches it and is more matte > slightly satin than matte > high gloss. I previously avoided matte black finishes for this reason, but gave in when I spotted my 2127Z at a good price on Reverb, and I have no regrets so far. I'm not sure whether the "flat" orange finish has this same issue.

The bridge is personal preference imo, rather than one being "better" than the other, but the Edge Zero is my favourite bridge going. Compared to the Lo-Pro Edge (and Original Edge / Edge Pro), I prefer the Zero aesthetically, the intonation tool is a nice time-saving convenience, and I like having the choice of ZPS / no ZPS (it's very quick and easy to remove / reattach).

Both have had their stock pickups replaced (upgraded imo) to models that are pretty highly thought of on SS.org. I love D Activators, but haven't tried M7s. I believe both sets have tighter low-end and more clarity than your CL/LF set, which might be to your liking if you're up for something a bit different.

Does "all the original bits" include the original pickups? If yes, the 3127's DiMarzio Fusion Edges will have slightly better resale value than the 2127Z's V77 / V87 set.

Although the two models theoretically have the same neck profile, Ibanez is known to subtly change the carve and thickness tolerances for neck profiles without changing the name. I can't comment on whether this is the case with 'Wizard 7 Prestige RGD' necks, but maybe someone else here can (if you're even fussed about this).

Interestingly, the the 26.5" scale length has subtly changed over the years. I can't see too many people noticing the difference in that 1.5mm though!

1716290994556.png
Source: Ibanez Wiki

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Do you have a preference on that?
About the board material? Not in particular. I imagine I'll care more about the shape than the material.

Does "all the original bits" include the original pickups? If yes, the 3127's DiMarzio Fusion Edges will have slightly better resale value than the 2127Z's V77 / V87 set.
I had meant all the covers and trem arms etc., but maybe. I don't normally think to resell replaced pickups, 'cause I find the market in this area is picky, I don't expect anyone would want them either way.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
About the board material? Not in particular. I imagine I'll care more about the shape than the material.

I had meant all the covers and trem arms etc., but maybe. I don't normally think to resell replaced pickups, 'cause I find the market in this area is picky, I don't expect anyone would want them either way.
Put them on eBay with international shipping and they'll sell.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Any other thoughts out there about the RGDs? I know some of y'all have them. I think my main thought is whether or not the Lo Pro is going to "feel" like a floyd - 'cause I've always had trouble getting along with floyds. But I never had any real problem with the ZR on my S.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Any other thoughts out there about the RGDs? I know some of y'all have them. I think my main thought is whether or not the Lo Pro is going to "feel" like a floyd - 'cause I've always had trouble getting along with floyds. But I never had any real problem with the ZR on my S.
If that's your concern then I'd definitely recommend going with the Edge Zero.
It doesn't feel the same as a ZR, but it's stiffer and (for that reason) smoother / easier to control than an Original Edge / Lo-Pro Edge / OFR.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
If that's your concern then I'd definitely recommend going with the Edge Zero.
It doesn't feel the same as a ZR, but it's stiffer and (for that reason) smoother / easier to control than an Original Edge / Lo-Pro Edge / OFR.
Hmmmmmmmm,,,,

So I find that there's something funky about most floyds that just doesn't quite agree with me. They feel sort of..... flat? Like there's not a solid spot to put your wrist, so mutes are kinda weird. I learned on hard-tail guitars, TOMs, etc. The ZR on my S is different enough from a Floyd that it somehow dodges the whatever-it-is I didn't like about floyds. I could probably get used to it, I just want to avoid getting a guitar that looks cool, but just sits there while I play a beat up old 7420 instead because it feels better.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I've been looking at a Jackson I've got here with a floyd in it, and it's.... ok? There's something about the way my hand rests on the bridge, where mutes on the heaviest string just don't have as much weight to them as they have on other bridges, but I can't figure out why that is. Maybe the angle the string enters the saddle? Maybe the shape of the individual bridge saddles? Maybe it's not actually the bridge, but the board radius that's throwing me off? I don't know.

Okay, maybe I just figured it out: With the S, with the ZR, my palm rests on the raised pivot point. That pivot, and the low-b saddle, form a sort of little valley that my wrist lands in, and it's just a natural resting spot where chugs happen. The floyd is missing this, so my wrist doesn't land anywhere naturally, other than trying to sit in the gap where the string meets the saddle, but of course that's a very shallow space, so you don't "feel" i t. I could probably get used to it, but it's an adjustment.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm realizing now that the 2127 is not a ZR, it just has the stabilizer. Which means it won't have the pivot point, which means any complaint I'd have about the bridge on the 3127 is likely the same on the 2127.

So the question becomes - orange vs. black, and d-activators vs lundgren m7s.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm,,,,

So I find that there's something funky about most floyds that just doesn't quite agree with me. They feel sort of..... flat? Like there's not a solid spot to put your wrist, so mutes are kinda weird. I learned on hard-tail guitars, TOMs, etc. The ZR on my S is different enough from a Floyd that it somehow dodges the whatever-it-is I didn't like about floyds. I could probably get used to it, I just want to avoid getting a guitar that looks cool, but just sits there while I play a beat up old 7420 instead because it feels better.
The Edge Zero is probably the closest you'll get to the ZR in terms of palm mute feel without it being a ZR. I really dislike the feel of TOM style bridges but love ZR.

Latest posts