These goddamn airlines

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Long story short, the last return flight SYR -> Chicago -> Tokyo was one of the worst flight experiences I could imagine. Multiple delays on my first flight arriving from mechanical failure meant that I missed my intended connection, but I also missed the connection on the redesigned trip that went SYR -> Seattle -> Tokyo, and I arrived in Seattle around midnight, and they put me in a hotel, but I had to be back in the airport by 7. Then at the gate I had to argue with the check-in counter lady because she said my covid tests were not done within the 48 hour window (which they were, when I boarded the first flight of this trip!). And so I was this asshole at the counter with the whole queue screaming at me, but ultimately was waived on with a "well, Japan isn't going to let you in, I hope you know that" (they did).

Now I'm coming back from Tokyo -> newark -> SYR, except that the first flight was delayed 5 hours, making our connection pretty tricky, but we were told all rescheduling and stuff happens automatically once we're in the air, and nothing could be done until the flight is taken off. But ultimately it didn't matter, because they just decided to stop in SF for some crew change BS, and that meant we got into Newark at midnight, and sat on the runway for an hour. By the time we got out and started talking to staff about hotels, "all hotels are booked". Like how tf is that even possible, yet it seems to be -- we spent 90 minutes the two of us calling every hotel we could find. So now we've just been sitting in this airport since midnight, waiting for the 2PM flight to SYR. We have meal vouchers but really this leaves me like... wtf, it is totally on them to schedule crew changes, and now because of this we are arriving like 20 hours later, and more importantly, spending most of that time sitting in uncomfortable chairs, freezing and hungry and with wifi at 1994 dial up speeds. Now through security the wifi and power supplies are sorted, but is that it?? You couldn't just walk up to me and offer me $2k to stay awake for the next 30 hours in a chair with no padding. Do they ever compensate for these terrible situations they put people in? I mean, a delay here or there from weather is an understandable inconvenience, but when you pay like $4k in tickets then it's overnight spent in an airport terminal, it doesn't seem right at all. I feel like I should get a free flight or a free upgrade or a hell of a lot of miles, but I don't know what to do. I imagine if you try to call up and complain, you are probably met with several layers of padding between your complaint and any accountability. Anything know anything more about it / these situations?

I miss the pizza delivery stuff like, "if it's not there in 30 minutes, it's free", it makes it clear up front what's at stake. But an airline can get you to your destination like an entire work day late and that's just within the acceptable margins?

Anyway, very tired, very annoyed, only using small set of neurons that are persevering probably by eating each other for lipids

(Also there was an academic conference deadline the night before the flight so I'm doing all that on top of a near all-nighter proofing student drafts)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Basically need to run the complaints up the chain to get anything useful out of them iirc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can a person shred a company and @ them on Twitter to get results these days? I knew people that had done that in the past and actually got somewhere with it when they had bad customer experiences.

ThunderUnderground

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do they ever compensate for these terrible situations they put people in?
I got compensation for a delayed flight from London to Scotland (or maybe it was London to Spain, cant remember) Im sure I flew with Ryanair in the UK and i think they have some policy where if you are delayed over 4 hours your entitled to compensation. Check with your airline provider to see if they have something in place.

I imagine if you try to call up and complain, you are probably met with several layers of padding between your complaint and any accountability. Anything know anything more about it / these situations?
Most likely automated algorithm driven garbage, if your really lucky you might get some AI to speak to. Customer service from a human will be a thing of the past by the end of the decade i imagine.

The Monster With .

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That sucks man!

I remember seeing people talk about a lady lawyer on ticktok that tells people what their rights are when their plsne is delayed, like what you are entitled to ask for that the airline won't bother to tell you about. May be worth looking into.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Air travel is horrible now. The fam and I were supposed to go on a vacation to Seattle, and United canceled our flight 3 hours before it was supposed to depart. They rebooked two of us on an earlier flight, that we could only have made if we were at the airport already. The rest of us they rebooked on a flight 36 hours later. It would have been even later to get us all on the same flight. So we canceled, and are trying to get refunds for the stuff we booked. I have no interest in paying extra for first class or comfort plus or whatever, but I’d definitely pay extra for an airline that has a more reliable record these days.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Damn, I was expecting a Jerry Seinfeld standup special up indis bish.

But, I poured out a 40 for your loss and thanks for letting me know I should keep driving everywhere I want to go and avoid places only planes could go. Submarines are also out of the question at this point too, I guess...

Can a person shred a company and @ them on Twitter to get results these days? I knew people that had done that in the past and actually got somewhere with it when they had bad customer experiences.
Yeah cancel culture they azz, every Friday morning @9am someone should swat they azz for narad. Tellem someone's got sparklers & firecrackers that have Covid on board. Never forget.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got compensation for a delayed flight from London to Scotland (or maybe it was London to Spain, cant remember) Im sure I flew with Ryanair in the UK and i think they have some policy where if you are delayed over 4 hours your entitled to compensation. Check with your airline provider to see if they have something in place.
There's something like this in the US too that I belive is a federal law. I have never experienced it but had seen a youtube video about it somewhat recently. I'll have to find that.

Found the video, not exactly the same situation but I wonder if any it applies.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks dudes, this info is pretty big. I had no idea about any flight compensation but have been bumped for 4-12 hours before and did nothing but wait it out for no compensation whatsoever at any point in my life.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score

Most likely automated algorithm driven garbage, if your really lucky you might get some AI to speak to. Customer service from a human will be a thing of the past by the end of the decade i imagine.
I know it is a law in the EU that airlines have to pay you a few if your flight is delayed or canceled. Maybe it's the same in the UK? We had a flight canceled and we rerouted with no delay flying from France back to the US, but they still had to write us a check. Friggin love consumer protection laws.

Unfortunately corporations own the US government so we aren't allowed to consumer or worker protection laws.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Then at the gate I had to argue with the check-in counter lady because she said my covid tests were not done within the 48 hour window (which they were, when I boarded the first flight of this trip!). And so I was this asshole at the counter with the whole queue screaming at me, but ultimately was waived on with a "well, Japan isn't going to let you in, I hope you know that" (they did).

I thought that was all over with? Did you actually go and get a PCR test and paperwork for it, or do you mean some kind of test that's administered at the airport? Or is that something they are asking you to do on the American side?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Thanks guys, lots to look over, but when I wrote the post I didn't know the nightmare was only half over, as the next flight got cancelled and then the flight we finally got on was delayed an hour, sat on the tarmac for an hour, and fly an hour, then sat waiting for a gate for 90 minutes. And they lost our luggage! I think it was about 40 hours door-to-door, just kind of waking up now.

I can only say it must be even worse for the guy coming to our destination from luxembourg for a weekend, who also lost his luggage. His whole trip is probably ruined.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Yikes. I made it to Portland, OR from Boston yesterday with no issues. It helps when it's direct though.

Flying does suck now though. If it's not the airlines it's the other passengers.