Thinking of buying an 8 string...need opinions.

• Thread starter Apex1rg7x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
My vote;
Ibanez M80M
I’ve had mine for 4+ years and I still love it.
The neck is great. The long scale length makes the 7th and 8th strings “work”.

I see horror stories about qc issues on these frequently. Ordering new from a dealer with a return policy should help with that but still sucks its even a discussion that has be to had considering the price point.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
ive owned both an rg2228 and rga8 , and i actually liked the neck dimension better on the rga8 because my 2228 had a more distinct flat spot and broader shoulders (unless thats your thing) and the rga8 was more round and more comfortable but equally thin. also the rga8's mahogany was more resonant and louder unplugged than the 2228's basswood. i know nobody mentioned the rga8 but just throwing in my experiences with necks, and the rga8 is the quality of the m80m with the hardware of the 2228 , and i got mine for 300$ with bkp's vs the 1k+ for the m80m with a single lundgren. so if you wanna try an 8 string to figure out if its your thing id reccomend that direction before dishing out bigger bucks on a 2228.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
Hi. I have an opportunity to buy used Ibanez RGA8. The guitar is without paint (natural body), setup was done by a tech, tone knob was removed and a coil switch was installed in its place and stock pickups were repleaced by BKP Nailbombs. I can tell by the pictures that it is in pretty good condition etc. Price is 585 USD.

Good deal/bad deal? Thanks

vick1000

Reaction score
Hi. I have an opportunity to buy used Ibanez RGA8. The guitar is without paint (natural body), setup was done by a tech, tone knob was removed and a coil switch was installed in its place and stock pickups were repleaced by BKP Nailbombs. I can tell by the pictures that it is in pretty good condition etc. Price is 585 USD.

Good deal/bad deal? Thanks
As long as the anchor bolt in the back of the bridge is without issue, and you really like the setup from the "tech", and the pick ups are your thing, it's OK. The pop up all the time for $350 stock config, around here in the US, not sure about prices in Europe.

BananaDemocracy

8 String Impaler
Reaction score
IMHO if you want a fixed bridge +1 for M80M Ibanez messhugah budget model
If you want a Floyd, the only OFR option is the C8 Hellraiser FR, which Im looking at myself because they are a bit more affordable

I saw one for $500 on Reverb! So if anyone sees C8 FR as well, please lmk....

But Def, if I saw a Meshuggah model under 1k I would buy it as well

Good luck

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Just got my first 8 today. Ibanez TAM10, 27”. I’ve had 25.5” 7s for years, but the width of the neck is insane. Barely. Price the scale difference.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
How is it? I'm thinking about getting one recently

Overall, very nice guitar. Can’t compare it to any other 8s, as it’s the only one I’ve played for more than a few minutes.

Just checked, it has a 74 for the F#, will definitely be going to an 80 next time. I like the Ionizer pickups a lot. With a 5 way and coil split, there are a lot of great sounds.

Going from 7 to 8 is a whole different thing than from 6 to 7, though.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
Overall, very nice guitar. Can’t compare it to any other 8s, as it’s the only one I’ve played for more than a few minutes.

Just checked, it has a 74 for the F#, will definitely be going to an 80 next time. I like the Ionizer pickups a lot. With a 5 way and coil split, there are a lot of great sounds.

Going from 7 to 8 is a whole different thing than from 6 to 7, though.

I'm in the same situation - going from 7 (fan fret) to 8. Is it hard to get used to it?

jvms

Reaction score
If you like Ibanez, you can't go wrong with a Prestige. You won't find thinner necks than those. The Jacksons have a compoud radius, that is a little more managble toward the nut for chording, and more narrow string spacing in some cases. There are a lot of options in the arena of 8s, best bet is to go somewhere with a great return policy so you can find a good fit.
Have you tried the new Jackson Dinky 8 string? They are supposed to have a 55mm nut width, the same as Ibanez. Are their string spacing similar?

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm in the same situation - going from 7 (fan fret) to 8. Is it hard to get used to it?

It’s different for sure. 7s never felt that different to me. If I was playing in a band, I’d want a week or two before playing it with anybody.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score

The biggest thing is understanding how limited the concept of Barre chords becomes due the how the high B and E strings shift from 4ths to a 3rd and a 4th. They don't settle well into the paradigm of the low B and F# chords. I would recommend starting to look at how to voice chords using just 4 strings. It makes the voicings a little more like extended piano voicings than what you're normally used to hearing from a guitar. However, if you drop the F# to E, I don't need to tell you how massive extending your standard 6 string barre chords sound when including the two low strings. More often than not though, I play 8 strings in standard and 6 strings in Dropped D.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
also to add a second note, if you do find 8 strings are your thing to dish out serious cash the ormsby multiscale hype 8 which reaches 28.2 on the 8th string and is in my humble opinion the best large scale production 8 string available at the moment and will definitely kick tons of ass. 25.5-28.2 inch fan leaves you with optimal tension across each string with 16.5 pounds being brought to the lowest f#.

BananaDemocracy

8 String Impaler
Reaction score
M80m you will have to buy one after your first 8 anyway!
Played the M80M ,these guys are right. It is the quintessential 8 string ERG. Only AFTER buying one did I see how incredible and genre defining it is. Remember meshuggqh made this and the m8 pickups,and djent,so it’s only fitting they would spec out the perfect guitar to play 8 string math metal!,,,I love this damn thing. People can’t beleiv what I paid for a NEAR MINT one with case and I can’t believe I almost trade or sold it....my rabbi euler would t hear the end of it if I did lol

Oh right, I paid in full

feilong29

Reaction score
I'm no novice when it comes to high-end guitars, and definitely go that route when I can, but I have also owned a TAM10 and currently own a nicely set up, and upgraded (pups) RG8, and I am actually really happy and satisfied with my RG8. Not expensive and a great platform for some upgrades.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I'm no novice when it comes to high-end guitars, and definitely go that route when I can, but I have also owned a TAM10 and currently own a nicely set up, and upgraded (pups) RG8, and I am actually really happy and satisfied with my RG8. Not expensive and a great platform for some upgrades.

What pickups did you go with?

vick1000

Reaction score
I recently decided to build up a used RG8 again. Paid $200 for a white one off GC, it was mint except for some hangar rash. I sanded down the neck and refinished it with pure Tung Oil. Installed some open gear Hipshot locking tuners, SD Blackouts, and Hipshot saddles. It's one of the best players I have had the pleasure of setting up. The RG8 is just a stupid good deal if you know how to modify them, and get a good setup. I would put it up there with my old Prestige RG852 as it is setup now, and at $500 total.

PariahMusic

Reaction score
If you are at all considering custom, My Blackat HDA 8 is one of the fastest necks I've used ever. Great prices from those guys too.