This is the best year for new metal albums in a long time...

• Thread starter big_aug
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
...., Mercenary disbanded!?

Also can't wait for Devin's new album, I met him at the Axe Generation show, He said Anekke Von Giebersen is part of this one as well. I listened to Z2 every morning to school last year.

no they didn't disband but both of the original vocalists, Kral and Mikkel, have formed a new band called Firesoul and they are writing/recording as we speak

The Mirror

Reaction score
Like seriously what the hell happened to them, they have gotten consistently meh since the first album but that was just painful.

I guess what you were trying to say was that they got consistently better from being a DT/SymX rip-off to becoming a band with their own style.

Havoc was dope. From Marilyn Manson on Speed (Havoc) to great Prog-Rock (After the Fire).

But well, Haters gonna hate? :shred:

celticelk

Reaction score
Also new Russian Circles, new Helms Alee, new Living Colour scheduled for later this year. Great concert season as well - I've got a show a month lined up from June through October, which for me is a lot.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Yeah, the new Metallica record will make even Emmure sound mind-blowing and awesome :D

I was waiting for someone to mention the Metallica record. There's no doubt tons of bands have better chops all around, but i'll be looking forward to the new Metallica. I enjoyed Death Magnetic when it came out, that album gets me pumped still when I listen to it.

beneharris

Reaction score
Circus Maximus released Havoc in March.

After The Fire is a phenomenal hommage to Prog Metal in general.

That short time travel in the instrumental section from '00 Djent over '90 Dream Theater to '80 Rush and back to modern CM is the best thing I heard this year.

Yeah I'll back you up here, that whole cd is worth buying just for that one song. It is awesome.

Vektor may as well be the only thing mentioned in this thread, that cd is phenomenal.

Also, Fleshgod Apocalypse was pretty fantastic, too.

jerm

Reaction score
:metal:

Has been a very good year indeed, now let's hope the new Metallica arrives as well and hits it out of the park :yesway:

Was just going to post this.

This album is AOTY, absolutely no doubt in my mind. 10/10. :bowdown:

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I was waiting for someone to mention the Metallica record. There's no doubt tons of bands have better chops all around, but i'll be looking forward to the new Metallica. I enjoyed Death Magnetic when it came out, that album gets me pumped still when I listen to it.

I don't care if their record is good or not, if it's thrash or whatever, I just grew very annoyed of the hype surrounding some bands releasing something, from Metallica to Maiden through whatever genre and niche.
Even the "Gods" makes turds, and I find quite honest to just accept that no band can make only masterpieces.
Any band can fail, my favourite one, your fave, anyone else's fave...because they're humans.
At the same time the band that always released turds can make a masterpiece out of nowhere.
So, while the hype is a beautiful "romantic" thing, I just prefer to sit down, wait and listen with normal expectations and enjoy the final product and be genuinely surprised.

But mostly...it irks me to listen to people marketing for years something they're not even strumming at home, because they're at home cleaning their butts with dollars.
So yeah Lars, don't talk about the disc, record it instead.

big_aug

Reaction score
Has there been any update that indicates Metallica releasing their album this year? I've seen interviews with Kirk/Lars and comments from James saying it's mostly done. Nothing with any time frame though.

big_aug

Reaction score
I don't necessarily think any of these albums are masterpieces. They are all solid though for sure.

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score
Vektor is certainly amazing. The Moonsorrow album is also brilliant. Gotta add Haken to the list also. Got high hopes for the new Old Corpse Road too.
And I've not even mentioned Frost* yet!

big_aug

Reaction score
Yea, my list was only ones I actually listened to or liked. I know there are even more. That's why its such a good year. We aren't even half way.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
That reminds me: aren't Revocation due for an album this year? Been waiting patiently for a follow up to Deathless, what an amazing album.