To EMG or NOT to EMG...

• Thread starter Jan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jan

Reaction score
Ok, a while back I posted this thread. In a nutshell:
- my ESP EII Eclipse 7 ET is very resonant, but super dark/bass-heavywih no low mids.
- I tried a number of passive pickups, they made SOME, but honestly, not much difference.
- the Seymour Duncan Distortion pickup I have in the bridge right now is the best one I have had in it: it tamed the bass a bit, added some nice "grind" as well as some top end and higher mids. However, the lower mids (which I love) are still non-existent and the guitar is till very dark compared to pretty much any other guitar I have played (with the exception of a Schecter Hellraiser C7 I had years ago, which was possibly even darker).
- a number of folks suggested trying out a set of EMGs, and I was lucky to be able to get a brand new set of 57-7H/66 for 1/3 of the price...
- HOWEVER, the pickups come in a casing, which means I may have to modify pickup cavities to fit them in - this means that once I have done it, the guitar will use a lot of its market value.
- I also love the sound of split coils on my bridge pickup (for cleans - with a Klon clone, some copression and my Big Sky reverb) and I know I won't be able to get that tone with the EMGs I have...

So, the question is: should I do it? Will EMGs add their magical low-mid grind to my boomy guitar? Will they make it brighter? Should I route the cavities to fit them in? Will it lower my guitar's re-sell value (which is what my friends are telling me)?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
- HOWEVER, the pickups come in a casing, which means I may have to modify pickup cavities to fit them in - this means that once I have done it, the guitar will use a lot of its market value.

Have you actually tried them? I mean if you already got the pickups it's as easy as try to fit them in.

Reactions: Jan

Jan

Reaction score
Have you actually tried them? I mean if you already got the pickups it's as easy as try to fit them in.
No, the old pickups are still in. Visually they look like they might almost fit, but a mate who dabbles in luthiery says the sharp edges of the casings won't fit without a bit of cavity adjustment. I believe him.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
No, the old pickups are still in. Visually they look like they might almost fit, but a mate who dabbles in luthiery says the sharp edges of the casings won't fit without a bit of cavity adjustment. I believe him.

Then why not pass on the covered set and get the standard ones instead? :scratch:

Jan

Reaction score
Then why not pass on the covered set and get the standard ones instead? :scratch:
What standard ones? You either have the soapbar or the "regular" casing (which I have). I am talking about EMG 57-7 H model.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
What standard ones? You either have the soapbar or the "regular" casing (which I have). I am talking about EMG 57-7 H model.

Regular:

emg-57-7h-blk.jpg

Covered:

emg-57-b-7h-brbc_2.jpg

The first one will probably fit. The other may not. If neither fits, route the cavity. No one will ever notice if the tech doing the job is worth a damn.

Also, don't depend on people's tonal advice to decide if you route the guitar or not. Not everyone has the same taste and you might end up being disappointed.

Last edited:

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Does the guitar have direct mount pickups? If not and you're using pickup rings? You won't notice a difference if you have to re-route the pickup cavities because the pickup rings will hide that anyways.

Besides, every guitar needs battle scars anyways! When I bought my Les Paul Goldtop, I was so scared to get even a small ding on it, after it happened and I accidentally dinged the guitar? I didn't care and it was actually relieving lol

Jan

Reaction score
I don't necessarily want tightness in the modern metal sense, as I mostly play doom or death/doom metal, but I do want my guitar to have MIDS as well as frequencies other than overpowering bass. :) I will do research on that RPC thing, thanks
RPC knob to replace tone, and then literally take your pick on any EMG offering.

81, 57, 77. Pair any of these with the plug and play EMG RPC and have tightness for literally DAYZ

lewis

Reaction score
I don't necessarily want tightness in the modern metal sense, as I mostly play doom or death/doom metal, but I do want my guitar to have MIDS as well as frequencies other than overpowering bass. :) I will do research on that RPC thing, thanks
They do an SPC too which is mids instead I believe

Rpc cuts lows whilst boosting highs at the Same time the more you turn it up.

SPC will be mid boosting the more you tun them up.

slavboi_delight

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not soapbar, the "regular" size casings. They have sharp edges while the cavities have round edges.
The Evertune one is the one with direct mounts right?
Hard to justify the costs for a "might like" if you ask me
Would rather try my luck EQ'ing around the problem

Jan

Reaction score
The Evertune one is the one with direct mounts right?
Hard to justify the costs for a "might like" if you ask me
Would rather try my luck EQ'ing around the problem
Yes, direct mounts. I actually have a set (with pots etc.) lying around that I was lucky to get for like 1/3 of retail price, so trying them out will only involve installation cost. HOWEVER, if the lutheir wil need to route the cavities, it ay affect the overall value of that guitar, which is why I am wary...

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Modifying the routes could hurt the resale since it is the direct mount version. I'm surprised the Distortion isn't nailing it -- seems like that one has a pretty good low-mid growl to it. TBH If the Distortion is somewhat close to the sound you want, you might like the Black Winter set.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Get PAFs. Or PAF-style 7-string pickups. EMG 57 nails this but nothing beats a nice PAF pickup for that style and the sound you are looking for. They have low mids but they also have chime and that wide-sounding bright tone to make your guitar come alive. High-gain pickups tend to darken the tone.